I've been combing the charts at Soundclick...

Chicken Monkey

• Members

And everything stinks. I've only listened to the top couple songs on a couple charts, but I haven't heard anything that interests me in the least. Is it just that soundclick attracts so little attention that it's easy to game the system and get your turd to the top of the charts, or what?

Why aren't Bluesway/TullsterX/twenty other people who post here using SoundClick reigning their charts?

Has anyone stumbled upon anything worth listening to there?

• Members

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=17734883

Originally posted by SteveE9C6

Anyway, one of the songs "Lonesome Wind" hit number one on the soundclick alt.county charts two months ago and my new single
The Ballad of Jake Masters
is at number two today.

Not anything personally against SteveE9C6, but ...:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Chicken Monkey

And everything stinks. I've only listened to the top couple songs on a couple charts, but I haven't heard anything that interests me in the least. Is it just that soundclick attracts so little attention that it's easy to game the system and get your turd to the top of the charts, or what?

Why aren't Bluesway/TullsterX/twenty other people who post here using SoundClick reigning their charts?

lol. i know. i hit #1 in swing last week for that tune i posted 'red dress,' and i was totally stoked until i listened to some of the other tunes i was up against! fruity loops crap! lol.

i guess it's the nature of it!

• Members

Originally posted by bluesway

lol. i know. i hit #1 in swing last week for that tune i posted 'red dress,' and i was totally stoked until i listened to some of the other tunes i was up against! fruity loops crap! lol.

i guess it's the nature of it!

What's up with the Fruity Loops hate?

• Members

I get my turds to the top 20 of the Metal (top 5 of the Alternative Metal) charts by posting them on 2, maybe 3 music forums (including this one). It doesn't take a lot of songplays to do it, maybe 25 to 30 a day. I can't speak for the other genres, but anybody who doesn't get up there for at least a day or two in my arena basically just isn't telling enough people about their work.

• Members

Originally posted by TheBCProjects

What's up with the Fruity Loops hate?

it's not hate....well, maybe it is, but not exclusive to fruity loops - just most samplers that have standard grooves available as templates for non-musicians to press little buttons and program dots on a grid and suddenly call themselves musicians.

anyway, of course not all that is made with fruity loops is inherently bad, but one must have to admit that fruity loops makes musicianship available to those without what used to be a standard amount of musical ability. now, i'm not basing my biases on people who use it for lack of a drummer or whatever else they are lacking in their instrumentation in their pursuit of a real piece of music, but i got news for you....those people are closer to the minority than they think....(c'mon. have you READ the manual for fl studio 6? who's it written for? someone WITH musical knowledge? ahem.....well, no, but that little lemon gangster guy is very cool, right?) i work in a school......every kid (whether they have had music classes in their lives or not) has a copy of fruity loops on their computers downloaded from kazaa, limewire, etc.....every kids makes mixes......every one calls themselves musicians. yet, i digress.....

i don't know if you noticed, but i'm posting from sunny PR, the place that brought you reggaeton and along with it, such gifted visionary composers as Daddy Yankee and Don Omar. . . . . and guess what program they used to create their little gems of musical enlightenment? ACID? no. too complex and in-depth. not enough user templates. which one? well, the one that offers reggaeton beats standard.......and just listen to the radio........HOLY {censored}!!! there's those beats! completely unmanipulated......completely unchanged. are we really going to ignore how toxic this is for art? do we really want the ability to create songs and music in general THIS accessible? can i just color in a picture of munch's 'the scream' and call myself an artist? well, no. you can't do that in visual art. it wouldn't stand, but music....yeah, that flies. and as the little lemon gangster guy says, "now go out and get that record deal!"

now, for those of you with some musical standards-through-ability who use it because you want beats and you don't want to invest a large amount of time and money on a deeper program like ACID, that's totally understandable and cool, but if i were to be given absolute choice on the matter of fl's (and others' like it) existence, i would have to get rid of it b/c good songs that are being created with fl for lack of other instruments SHOULD be able to hold up without a full arrangement. that's actually a pretty good litmus test to see if it's indeed a good song, no? anyway, these songs will live on even without the often-cheesy drum loop - many will be better. that other {censored}, though......gone. it can't exist. from that perspective, i just weigh it up, man. i can't like it.

• Members

Originally posted by CGord

I get my turds to the top 20 of the Metal (top 5 of the Alternative Metal) charts by posting them on 2, maybe 3 music forums (including this one). It doesn't take a lot of songplays to do it, maybe 25 to 30 a day. I can't speak for the other genres, but anybody who doesn't get up there for at least a day or two in my arena basically just isn't telling enough people about their work.

+1:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Christopher Kai

I think if you don't sign in on Soundclick, you can just click "play" on your song a few dozen times you'll rack up the air play.

I guarantee you that some guys sit there all day and listen to themselves...

i didn't know that. that's so lame, it hurts a little bit. is it the same for myspace?

• Members

i didn't know that. that's so lame, it hurts a little bit. is it the same for myspace?

Yes, and even more so. I'm pretty sure a lot of bands have automated bots which just request their own songs over and over again, all day long.

• Members

Originally posted by rhat

I dont pay any attention to the charts ,,, i just listen to the music.

Whats fair game for places like that ,, does everything have to be original or can you do a cover . rat

There's a special category that you have to put covers in. Do you listen recreationally? If so, how do you choose what to listen to? If you can't rely on the charts, ...

• Members

I think if you don't sign in on Soundclick, you can just click "play" on your song a few dozen times you'll rack up the air play.

There are certainly ways to work the system. You'd have to come & go from the site each time to do it; just repeating the song once it's loaded won't get it done. That'd be too much work for me after, say...once? :)

Some of them there, though, you're right, something fishy has to be going on. There are a couple on the alternative metal charts that have not dropped much for the whole time I've been there (a couple months). And some of them suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

• Members

Originally posted by Chicken Monkey

Yeah, the Soundclick charts are lame. Anytime I post a sample on here it ends up near the top 10. I think Valentine hit as high as 8 on the Classic Rock charts.

Have you guys heard the "band" called Space Time or something? Boy, they just make the most horrid noise. It really is just weird guitar noises. They pay for the Soundclick promotions and are usually up in the charts somewhere. It's just ridiculous.

• Members

it's not hate....well, maybe it is, but not exclusive to fruity loops - just most samplers that have standard grooves available as templates for non-musicians to press little buttons and program dots on a grid and suddenly call themselves musicians. ...

So you're saying you don't like Fruity Loops, do I have that right? Haha...

I use Fruity Loops as a substitute drummer -- I really haven't found it useful for anything else, certainly not for comping full arrangements.

Oh, and do something about Daddy Yankee, he's making y'all look real bad.

That is all.

• Members

Guess I missed this thread. Since my tune "The Ballad of Jake Masters" is singled out as being a piece of crap, I'll jump in. As far as I know, the charts are determined by unique visitors. In fact, I can look in my stats (VIP stats) and see where they came from.

I don't know if the charts can be worked or not. I know that I have had over 10,000 unique listeners in the six months I've been on soundclick. The exposure is directly responsible for me selling the entire initial order of my CD, radio play, newspaper articles, magazine interviews, and radio interviews.

"The Ballad of Jake Masters" is a pure Texas country style tune. I think it's a pretty good tune. If you don't care for it, that's cool. I realize that country is not very popular here, but it is extremely popular in Texas.

• Members

Yeah at soundclick if I clonk a hunnerd times it will only say I clonked ONCE. cause it recognizes my whatever as a particular addy and only allows it to count one time for each song EVEN if a guy clonks five hunnerd times it'll only see and record one clonk for each song.

I do clonk my own lonks but only to hear what the mix is like on the internet.

I been at the top of the charts a lot of times: top fifty, top hunnerd and top five hunnerd and even the top thousand. which sometimes is goode considering My tune was up against twenty-five thousande othre tunes. I ain't been number one but I been 22, or 27 which is GREAT for a nobodie like me.

I like soundclick and I enjoy downloads on my page almost everday. which is really great to me personally and I am always in the charts with a goode number.

do it mean anything?

yeah it means I is be haveink fon now boy'o! yah!

Did you get my goode side?

• Members

QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveE9C6

Guess I missed this thread. Since my tune "The Ballad of Jake Masters" is singled out as being a piece of crap, I'll jump in.

I'm not sure what RSADASIV meant by his :freak: but it seems out of character for him to have meant it as a real insult. I think he was commenting on the importance you place in the Soundclick charts. . .

But, it's encouraging to hear of the success you've had using Soundclick to market your music. I've listened a bit and I would consider your stuff pretty good quality compared to a lot of the other stuff out there.

• Members

SteveE9C6

I wasn't trying to say that the "The Ballad of Jake Masters" is a piece of crap. At all.

Originally posted by rsadasiv

Not anything personally against SteveE9C6

I have commented positively on your stuff in the past.

Originally posted by rsadasiv

Steve,

Alt-Country is not my primary style, but I like Lonesome Wind - good song structure, good lyrics, love the pedal steel.

Maybe my choice of smilie was inappropriate, and I apologize if it came across as a put-down. Chicken Monkey said it much better when he expressed suprise about the chart-topping success of "one of ours".

Archived