What's the lamest song you've ripped off?

Chicken Monkey

• Members

A few weeks ago on this very forum, I posted a lyric that I had inadvertently lifted from an 80s George Jones/Tammy Wynette song. I lived with a guy who had a bandmate bring in an "awesome new guitar riff", which turned out the be the main verse riff for .38 Special's "Hold On Loosely". A friend of mine had an intricately fingerpicked instrumental that, when boiled down, took the melody from the "Three's Company" theme song.

What is your most embarrassing lift?

• Members

Originally posted by Chicken Monkey

A few weeks ago on this very forum, I posted a lyric that I had inadvertently lifted from an 80s George Jones/Tammy Wynette song. I lived with a guy who had a bandmate bring in an "awesome new guitar riff", which turned out the be the main verse riff for .38 Special's "Hold On Loosely". A friend of mine had an intricately fingerpicked instrumental that, when boiled down, took the melody from the "Three's Company" theme song.

What is your most embarrassing lift?

Yep, it's actually a huge problem for songwriters. The things I've accidentally ripped off tend to at least be "good" songs. It's not like: "here's my latest tender, soul-searching ballad" and it turns out to be the song from a Preparation H commercial or something. On the other side of the coin though, I always think of the "Yesterday" anecdote: supposedly Paul McCartney wrote it, and certain that he had lifted it from somewhere, he played it for all his friends. None of them recognized it so he finally concluded that he had come up with it. The moral is: good melodies always seem like you have heard them somewhere before, whether you actually have or not.

• Members

okay, check this out. i was in college and making my spending cash by teaching jazz lessons out of my dorm room for 15 bucks an hour. i had a student/friend/whatever who was studying with me for about two years . . . and getting good. anyway, in one of our first guitar lessons, he told me he had started writing songs and he played his first tune he'd ever written for me. i thought it was cool, but whatever, i was a cocky college jazz kid whose {censored} didn't stink, so i just kind of shrugged it off, since although i was a jazzer, my real forte was songwriting.

anyhow, this kid becomes one of my best friends over the next three years, we start a band - a very cool band, i might add...ahem....and he became a hell of a songwriter, too. ({censored}ing talented dude, man) it got to the point where he and i would get together and just bounce our best tunes off of each other for development in rehearsal on a weekly basis and for the tunes we knew were going to be 'big' for the band, we'd psyche each other up to hear the other's new creation. well, i had the best {censored}ing song EVER! it was so cool and synchopated and could've come off the radio and i was so stoked to play it for him. when i did, (you guessed it) the hook was an extremely close replica of that first tune he sung to me years before that i swear i had forgotten. he looked at me and said, "nice tune, dick! i played that for you at our first guitar lesson."

that {censored} was scary, 'cuz it came out of my subconscious. i could've put my hand on a bible and sworn i'd never heard anything remotely like it before. what a dumbass!

anyway, i guess i should spam him a bit huh? the music's awesome and he's in myspace music as 'matt gonnella group'. check out 'the ride' and 'yet we digress,' if time allows.

g

• Members

Didn't that happen to the Rolling Stones not too long ago? I thought I heard that KD Lang sued them for credits on "Has anybody seen my baby?" because it was such a blatant rip-off of something she had done... but it was funny because I honestly think they thought they wrote it themselves. I've had that experience as a songwriter, too. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Chicken Monkey

I lived with a guy who had a bandmate bring in an "awesome new guitar riff", which turned out the be the main verse riff for .38 Special's "Hold On Loosely".

oh my god, I've done this...We recorded this song in my last band that I wrote by myself. Keep in mind it was a punk rock band. After we went into the studio and recorded it I let a friend of mine hear it and he called me out on it. My main guitar riff was VERY similiar to "Hold On Loosely". And now it's recorded for everyone to hear. To my knowledge though, he is the only one to notice so far...

• Members

I took almost all the chords from two eagles tunes and made a pinky floyd type tune out of em.

(MOTHERSDAY)it don't sound anything like the eagles and I never had learned any pink floyd when i recorded it. sounds just like floyd to me. it's an accident for rwal. i did'nt plan on a floyd tune.

I work really hard to NOT sound like anyone unless i'm stealing all their licks and then I have my own style to offset the similarities.

Like my pinky fanger won't bend right anymore so I hang it off and use my rang fanger makes the licjs slightly diff. . Makes it my own style.

I do a stevie ray type song and i use licks he used but i LEARNED EM FROM THE FOLKES HE LARNED EM FROM. I know no stevie ray tunes only the tunes HE LARNED from. real old stuff, so if I sound the same or similar as folkes tell me all the time then it's cause we know the same songs and have similar infuences. them olde dead black guys. so i sound similar(authentic) sure but not copieing.. My tunes are all original for real. I have authentic delta blues and chicago blues and even some texas swing blues. all original tunes I made up from referring to the different styles.

I strive for my own style and sound. You gonne wear your influences on your sleeve sure only I strive for arellspencer tunes from ideas I gleaned from cover tunes and if one thinks about it long enough it's easy to see an influence creeping in.

theys only so many notes and ways to move em.

so move em to your beat and rythym. .

look at steve miller , now he stole licks and lyrics outright. his velvet glove song?

no one complained except maybe ME ahahahaha!

• Members

Originally posted by thaumata

it was funny because I honestly think they thought they wrote it themselves. I've had that experience as a songwriter, too.
:)

Yeah, it's very common. The most famous example is the George Harrison "My Sweet Lord"/"He's So Fine" copyright infringement lawsuit.

Archived