Looking for feedback on acoustic folk/blues tune

catdaddy

• Members

The Hi-FI Link didn't work on my first listen but now it seems to back up again...

Good acoustic blues tune.... It's nice when you post the lyrics so you can read along as it's playing. I enjoyed the story behind the song - it set the mood well too.

The singing and playing were great - I especially liked the slide guitar and harmonica and the way they added color and flavor to the song. Nice levels on the mix - the instruments pop out as required between the words. The vocals are nice and clear and up front which is where I like them. Panning gave it lots of width and separation....

Cool tune.....very nice....

:):D:):D

• Members

Hi catdady,

actually whatever came to me while listening has been expressed by ?do1957 but if ? am allowed to question one thing that ? am curious to know ? would be glad.

I dont know if your song is considered /modern/traditional/experimental blues folk or anything like that(? am to bad at genre discrimination but it sounds to me like a modern recording of a traditional song.I mean the and attitude is somewhat traditional but the sound,production is modern).

I know every music has its cultural roots and to a certain degree requires empathy for appreciation.I am not at all a stranger to blues, nor am ? to any other genre.

While ? was listening to your song my primary problem was With the vocal melody and vocal style.I involuntaryly accompanied to your singing with an oriental murmur.

I have realized that from the time that I first began to listen to music from around the world ? have done some unnatural selection among every genere.

I dont think that bob dylans most acclaimed album in america is "Desire" but it is for me, especially his vocal delivery in one more cup of coffee and violin use has attracted my attention more than any of his more gigantic musical endevaours.I like tom waits later albums like rain dogs,swordfish trombone,the black rider etc more than his "early years",although ? like them too.I suppose his rejection appeals to me more than his approval in musical preferences such as vocal style,instrument choices,and the total unhealthy sound of the production.

What ? am trying to say is this:are you against experimenting with the vocal and vocal melody (since it will change some of the referential basis) and trying to keep your songs in certain categories or just not interested in that.

I know,it was not necessary to write a such a lengthy intro for such a stupid question but I have to repeat that ? am a distant ear(although most of my fellow citizens are just covering what is covered in these forums) to most of the music covered in this forum and maybe misanderstood.

I hate to say its done good,sounds ok or there is nothing wrong or keep this up and that down etc...

anyway,keep the harmonica down nonthe less.:)when its too loud it has an distorted electric solo effect on me and ? cant listened to it when its too loud either.:(

I am really trying hard to provide something beneficial on this forum and one post for song critique takes me about half an hour even if its very short and ? am beginning to think that nothing beneficial comes out my intrusion.I feel like an hacker.

disregard me please but not my cats.

• Members

Cool mood. I disagree that the vocals should be up front where they are--everything seems a little too distinct--I think a muddier sound would serve the song better. I like the lyrics, although you veer into cliche now and again. Sometimes that just lends to an old-timey feel, which may be what you're going for.

I really like that slide guitar--what is it/how'd you record it?

• Members

Good song, good performance, good recording. In some ways, that kind of worked against the song as I was listening to it - I love delta blues, but what I love about it isn't clean, precise and measured; what I love about Delta Blues is desperation, freedom and feelings that far outstrip their author's attempts to express them.

But it is unfair to compare "Bone By Bone" to "Hellhound On My Trail" - "Bone By Bone" is a very good song on its own merits, and I hope the comparision is flattering rather than discouraging.

• Members

Originally posted by Chicken Monkey

Cool mood. I disagree that the vocals should be up front where they are--everything seems a little too distinct--I think a muddier sound would serve the song better. I like the lyrics, although you veer into cliche now and again. Sometimes that just lends to an old-timey feel, which may be what you're going for.

+1

My favorite part of the whole song is the harmonica solo-I've always been a sucker for a wailing harmonica solo. Sadly enough though, I cannot play one.:cry:

I would have liked to see a more stand out chorus or change of some sort in this song. I'm not sure if this is typical in this genre but it's what my ears were waiting for-and another harmonica solo!:thu:

• Members

Thanks everyone for listening! I really appreciate the input from y'all. Seems like there is a feeling that perhaps this recording is not up to the expectations of its intended genre. Quite honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it being described as "too clean". I was hoping that the slide was "dirty" enough to give it an old timey kind of feel. I guess not. On the other hand the song was written and performed to be part of a CD project that features another artist and some covers of about half a dozen Jimmy Rodgers' songs. So the effect I was trying to achieve was kind of a balance between the old 1930's country blues style and a modern recording. Most of the rest of the CD was already recorded before this song and the overall production style that was established called for placing the vocals up front in the mix. There was a need for me to try to match that for the continuity of the project.

Janus: If I understand your question (and maybe I don't), you were asking about whether I'd be willing to experiment with melody or style. In this particular situation I was locked into this particular style and genre because it was to be part of a larger musical venture where the style was pre-determined. I really like the idea that you found a "Janus" melody within the structure of the song. That is very cool! I'd love to hear your oriental murmurings. If you like I could provide you with the instrumental tracks and you could play with it. I guess you never know how a piece of music might affect someone. I can even remove the harmonica since you seem to be allergic to that instrument :)

CM: Couldn't slip those cliches past you! I usually try to avoid them but with this song (and the others I wrote for the CD) I had to place myself in a 1930's depression era state of mind. And yes I tried to use some cliches to help elicit an "old timey" ambience. The line "hungry as a wolf" still bothers me some though 'cause it was probably a cliche line even in 1930 :( As for the slide, I used an early 1960's vintage short scale Sears Silvertone electric. These guitars were made for Sears by Danelectro and used a single "lipstick" pickup that I have always thought are the greatest sounding pups for slide guitar. When I recorded it I just DI'd it into my digital recorder with a small amount of compression. I don't think I even EQ'd it except with the guitar tone pot. I used my heaviest metal slide so I could get some of the string grinding sustain that you hear. So glad you liked it!!

Thanks again everyone for your input ,honesty and time!

• Members

Originally posted by Geno_xl

+1

My favorite part of the whole song is the harmonica solo-I've always been a sucker for a wailing harmonica solo. Sadly enough though, I cannot play one.
:cry:

Howdy Geno!

I think you might have been listening to the song "Come Down To The River" . "Bone By Bone" doesn't have a harmonica solo...just some fills. Thanks for listening to that one too!!:)

• Members

I thought the guitar parts sounded excellent! Really reminded me of Guy Clark, so I'd say the music is top notch, professional-grade.

Where I found the song lacking was in the vocals. In Country-Blues, the singers traditionally emote quite a bit more. Your style is almost spoken and it doesn't work for me for this style.

My recommendation would be to focus on attitude. Your vocal style fits perfectly for James Taylor-style, but maybe for this you can "yell" a bit? If that's just not you, how about running your vocals through a light guitar overdrive box (TS-9, Bad Monkey, Full-Drive 2) before the mic pre?

If you're going for a 1930s vibe, you can also use a Large-Diaphragm condenser and record your voice in a "boomy" room from several feet away. Combined with a bit of overdrive, you might just get the vocal vibe to match the music.

Hope this helps, as always just my .02

• Members

Originally posted by emdub123

Where I found the song lacking was in the vocals. In Country-Blues, the singers traditionally emote quite a bit more. Your style is almost spoken and it doesn't work for me for this style.

My recommendation would be to focus on attitude. Your vocal style fits perfectly for James Taylor-style, but maybe for this you can "yell" a bit? If that's just not you, how about running your vocals through a light guitar overdrive box (TS-9, Bad Monkey, Full-Drive 2) before the mic pre?

If you're going for a 1930s vibe, you can also use a Large-Diaphragm condenser and record your voice in a "boomy" room from several feet away. Combined with a bit of overdrive, you might just get the vocal vibe to match the music.

This is a far more articulate presentation of what I was trying to say.

• Members

Originally posted by emdub123

I thought the guitar parts sounded excellent! Really reminded me of Guy Clark, so I'd say the music is top notch, professional-grade.

Hope this helps, as always just my .02

Guilty as charged concerning the vocals!:D

I am not a blues vocalist. I simply don't have the pipes. Wish I did. I used the "spoken" style because its basically the only way I can pull off even a semblance of a blues approach to my singing. My voice tends to be pure vanilla. A buddy of mine that I have been playing with since High School used to ask me all the time to "yell" some of my vocals to try for a ballsier sound. Tried and failed miserably. I sound like a wounded fruit bat in every attempt. I do appreciate the recording suggestions though and maybe I'll give that type of mic and method a try on any future attempt at the blues. Working title: Wounded Fruit Bat Blues

:idea:

By the way being mentioned in the same breath as Guy Clark is about the greatest compliment I've ever gotten! He is one of my songwriting heros!! Thanks!

• Members

Janus: If I understand your question (and maybe I don't), you were asking about whether I'd be willing to experiment with melody or style. In this particular situation I was locked into this particular style and genre because it was to be part of a larger musical venture where the style was pre-determined. I really like the idea that you found a "Janus" melody within the structure of the song. That is very cool! I'd love to hear your oriental murmurings. If you like I could provide you with the instrumental tracks and you could play with it. I guess you never know how a piece of music might affect someone. I can even remove the harmonica since you seem to be allergic to that instrument

You have got it precisely.I suppose it is the only song ? have heard so far from you and ? kind of generalized the song to your total musical adventure.sorry for that idiocy.

Actually ? had some sort of partnership with a guy called hugo who was ferquenter of the forum untill about haif a year ago but it was very different.he wrote the lyrics and ? I did whatever ? wanted with them.It was a great challenge for me since ? have great difficulty in identifying any rythmical pattern in an english text and my singing sounds rediculous to me.her is the link to the page that covers the fruits.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=494090

if you like it ? may venture to sing over your song but I cannot promise anything.

and about harmonica.its not that ? dont like it,nor distorted solos.I mean when their volume is too loud or too close to the ear they have a "chalk scratching on board" affect on me especially on the lower notes (if thats the right term).They have too dominant sounds and whne they are over emphasized they kind of ring in the ear.perhaps ? am getting old.

keep well

• Members

Good stuff, man! I'd like to hear dirtier vocals, too, but I understand about the pipes. I wish I had a cool, raspy voice...just didn't happen that way. The "hungry like a wolf" line bugged me a little bit, but it works - it's better than "hungry like a chicken."

Or not...maybe I'll use that one somewhere...

Archived