AN AMP FOR POST ROCK/INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC

SiriusDrought

• Members

There are a lot of choices here, though most post-rock bands I know use pedals for their gain sounds.

If you want both in the same box I'd be looking at the Vox AC30. If you want to get the best cleans and drives sounds more like most of those bands, I'd be thinking about a Fender Twin or Bandmaster, or the like.

A Fender Bassman 4x10 wouldn't be a bad option. Remember a lot of the post-rock stuff the tone from the amp is really just an awesome loud clean and it's the delays and gain pedals that give a particular band their sound.

• Members

Remember a lot of the post-rock stuff the tone from the amp is really just an awesome loud clean and it's the delays and gain pedals that give a particular band their sound.

yeah. fender or ss. musicman or something

• Members

Jesus I hate to ask this because it's going to make me sound (and feel) very old, but wtf is post rock? I've never even heard of that.

Neither have I, until I read about it on Harmony Central.

• Members

Check out some old KMD XV100SD heads if you can find one.. Awesome for the price and have tons of room for rock to nice clean sounds, it can definitely do the heavy chords sounds too with a boost up front.

Also check out the Egnater TOL100 if you can find one.

• Members

There are many different "post-rock" guitar sounds.

GBYE usually has the clean with some mild distortion, Tortoise has more of a warm Jazzy clean sound, Trans Am can go from acoustic to clean electric to some 80s "hair metal" type distortion - and that's to name a few.

But I would say the majority have a clean sound so go for something like a Roland JC120 - loud, very clean, nice chorus fx and add a Tube Screamer or something similar for some balls. :)

Actually, a sound that I hear on some "post-rock" recordings is similar to the sound on many Sonic Youth recordings so play a Jazzmaster + Tone Master + Screwdriver and use some really fucked up tuning :)

• Members

For instance, a Twin Reverb with any single coil guitar with an RV3 that never gets turned off is basically Explosions in the Sky.

But generally, a good versatile clean is what you want and some sweet fuzz/od pedals.

• Members

Marshall Plexi (MV or non-MV both work)

Bassman

JCM800 (any, even the 2 channel)

AC30

Orange OR80/120

I personally like that post rock tone that's a bit of a dirty clean with boost pedals to bring it up to balls out distortion.

Yup. And use a Tele or a Hollowbody, and don't forget that analog delay!

Archived