70s silverface fenders vs. current reissues fenders

Saturday

• Members

silly question, but ok:

i have a 70s silverface twin reverb, in very beaten up condition : the grill is broke, problems in the chassis, no reverb and no vibrato.

it sounds awesome, tough.

but i thought that i might like something that it has some break-up possibilities, like a deluxe reverb or a super reverb. so, what are your thoughts about those new reissues, specially compared to a silverface twin? the twin is better and no contest?

basically, i could invest some bucks in letting my twin into perfect condition, or maybe i can sell it and buy something newer and fully working. i'm 90% sure that keeping the twin is the best idea, but i'm curious. thoughts?

• Members

i don't have the reverb thank so i don't think that changing the tubes will do the trick :p

same for the vibrato y need to opto circuit. they don't sell them there, so i need to import them from the states and i can't afford that right now.

• Members

The new Reissues are a joke, their not really bad amps, they just arn't built like the originals. The SF amps were well built and all poit to point wired. My '75 is still in very good condition after several years of gigging, it's easy on tubes and sounds great, I'm the original owner. Some of the best cleans of any amp and knowing how to adjust the amp's controls and few little tricks I can make you think it's a Marshall, no FX pedals needed. I can't understand why such a well built amp in good condition sells for less than a PCB Tube amp made in China.

• Members

silly question, but ok:

i have a 70s silverface twin reverb, in very beaten up condition : the grill is broke, problems in the chassis, no reverb and no vibrato.

it sounds awesome, tough.

but i thought that i might like something that it has some break-up possibilities, like a deluxe reverb or a super reverb. so, what are your thoughts about those new reissues, specially compared to a silverface twin? the twin is better and no contest?

basically, i could invest some bucks in letting my twin into perfect condition, or maybe i can sell it and buy something newer and fully working. i'm 90% sure that keeping the twin is the best idea, but i'm curious. thoughts?

Can't go wrong with either of them really. Both will give you that "Fender tone". What are your wattage needs? The Super Reverb @ 45 watts and 4x10 is going to get pretty loud before you get any natural breakup.

• Members

I think you'd be much happier with a DR. IMO, A twin is just too much amp for most venues and lord knows, they are a PITA to move around.

What are DRRI's going for these days new? ~$1,000? Perhaps $700 on the used market. SF DR's are about $1000.

I say sell the Twin and maybe some other crap you don't need. Add the proceeeds to a few more scheckles and buy a SF Deluxe Reverb. You will NOT be disappointed!

• Members

I think you'd be much happier with a DR. IMO, A twin is just too much amp for most venues and lord knows, they are a PITA to move around.

What are DRRI's going for these days new? ~$1,000? Perhaps $700 on the used market. SF DR's are about $1000.

I say sell the Twin and maybe some other crap you don't need. Add the proceeeds to a few more scheckles and buy a SF Deluxe Reverb. You will NOT be disappointed!

That might work. Though with all the issues the Twin has I am not sure it would fetch a lot. Might be better off to keep it and slowly bring it back to specs. A SF Twin if anything looks cool enough to have hanging around the Jam room.

• Members

I can't speak to the Twin, but I have a silverface DR that has been blackfaced, and a "65 re-issue DR.
The silverface is still my main gigging amp, but now that I have had the re-issue a couple of years and the speaker is "broken in," they sound remarkably similar.

Archived