i just heard nick drake's "river man" and i'm still sweating

bluesway

• Members

holy {censored}, i can't believe that man isn't better-known. a brad mehldau record hipped me to it, but brad's version isn't even close to the original. (and brad mehldau is a genius) the string arrangement in that song is one of the best things i've ever heard - so logical, yet totally unexpected - especially on the second chord.

does anyone else know this tune/writer? i'm {censored}ing enamored. i want to be that good.

• Members

I just listened to it on Napster...wow. Back in the day when they used real, warm strings in the studio. That was dark and absolutely beautiful...gotta get me more of that. Nice chord changes and melody. I have a couple of friends that are into him, but I just hadn't checked him out yet. Too much @#$% stuff to listen to...

• Members

I'm a huge Nick Drake fan after the Verve announced he was the next best thing to GOD.

Anyway - I bought his greatest hits and it is amazing. All the songs are great - but I really love "One of These Things First," "Which Will," "Northern Sky," and the ever-so bleak "Black Eyed Dog."

Here's a link to it on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Blue-Introduction-Nick-Drake/dp/B0000931OQ/sr=8-4/qid=1159362066/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-1092584-6695115?ie=UTF8&s=music

• Members

yeah, man. i know all those tunes now. he was phenomenal. i feel lame for not knowing about him sooner! thanks for the added info.

"one of these things first" is such a cool groove. another fave of mine is "fly,", but i really just need to dig in to all his records. i've probably heard about ten tunes now and i haven't heard a single thing that hasn't just amazed me. does he have a "white album," so to speak. anything that would be a great starting point besides a greatest hits?

thanks

g

• Members

Originally posted by Rintrah

His last album- Pink Moon- is some of the best music i've ever heard. The whole album is good from end to end. Its only 28 minutes of just Nick and his Martin D-18. Recorded in 4 hours. 2 tracks only- one guitar and vocals.

Get hold of an album (just released) by a guy called Dan Aborosie.

The album is titled Around In Circles. He's influenced by Nick Drake, John Martyn and Richard Thompson. Very dreamy folk music. Good Stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by Professor Tom

Get hold of an album (just released) by a guy called Dan Aborosie.

The album is titled Around In Circles. He's influenced by Nick Drake, John Martyn and Richard Thompson. Very dreamy folk music. Good Stuff.

I saw Dan Aborise supporting a Canadian trio called the Wailin' Jennys (who are, incidentally, superb). I was bitterly disappointed after reading about his influences, as I was hoping for something truly great. I was unimpressed by his live performance, I thought his songs lacked structure or direction and his voice was weak - he failed to project at all. I haven't heard the album.

Archived