Are you ever half way through writing a song and...

percyexpat

• Members

...you just think, "actually, who gives a f**k?". Lyrically I mean. I just don't consider myself or my life very interesting yet, obviously, thats where most inspiration comes from. My own feelings and emotions. Even if you avoid the trap of cliche'd phrasings and ways of speaking about your feelings, I can't help but feel like a drama queen and wonder if its worth writing down.

• Members

If it's a good song, it doesn't really matter where the inspiration comes from. Whether it's from your own life, or someone else's life, or something completely made up, the bottom line is, "Is the song interesting?" No matter how exciting or boring you may consider your own life to be, everybody can relate to being happy, sad or angry, etc. It's just a matter of expressing such emotions in a way that is unique and compelling. Often, it isn't what you say that matters, but how you say it that makes for a good song.

• Members

{censored}. i'm halfway through about sixty songs that have been abandoned for one reason or another over the years because i just up and lost interest - sometimes lyrically, sometimes it's in the melody, sometimes i feel it's too trite musically. i actually have about four songs recorded full-band that i just can seem to get interested enough in anymore to write and record the vocal part. doesn't that suck? coupled with that, i also have tunes i've finished that i don't care to listen to even a little bit anymore! (like my whole album! lol)

yeah.. i'm with you. i think it's part of it for a songwriter like myself....and you. i think it's a good thing, if i'm understanding you right.

• Members

Originally posted by kurdy

If it's a good song, it doesn't really matter where the inspiration comes from. Whether it's from your own life, or someone else's life, or something completely made up, the bottom line is, "Is the
song
interesting?" No matter how exciting or boring you may consider your own life to be, everybody can relate to being happy, sad or angry, etc. It's just a matter of expressing such emotions in a way that is unique and compelling. Often, it isn't
what
you say that matters, but
how
you say it that makes for a good song.

Yeah, what he said. Do we really need more songs about ex-girlfriends? Probably not, but if you get your point across in an interesting and/or well-constructed way, then it's okay to have another one, and someone will undoubtedly give a f**k. Or a f@ck. Or possibly a fu#k. :D

• Members

go do something.

if you don't think your life is interesting, make it interesting.

or read books and watch movies about other people doing interesting things and then use their experiences to write about.

but yeah, i've written plenty of tunes and just felt like deleting them off of my computer. they're crap!

but who knows, someday they might be able to be re-worked.even if the only thing i keep is 2 lyrical lines, or 1 verse. who knows.

• Members

I think it is easy to be overly critical of oneself... but this is a good thing too because how many times have you seen artists (music, film, painting) that churn out complete crap and are delusional about it?

Still, I think it is easy to succomb to negative thinking and this is a problem of mine, too.

When the money equation is thrown in, it gets really frustrating... as in, "why do I spend 6 hours on a song when 6 hours as a lawyer brings in 1000 bucks" or whatever the case may be.

I think songwriters need to keep positive at all times!

• Members

Originally posted by Chicken Monkey

If I can't answer that question from the start, I don't bother writing. A song is not a journal.

On the other hand, some of the best songs I've written came from journals. In college I used to write a newspaper column that resembled what is known today as a "blog" (The web just barely started back then...). It was rather popular on campus, and just because I felt like it, I used a couple of them as the lyrical basis for new songs. I had already stated what I wanted to say, so when it came to writing a song it was just a mater of phrasing the words or ideas into slightly different ways.

• Members

Originally posted by percyexpat

...you just think, "actually, who gives a f**k?". Lyrically I mean. I just don't consider myself or my life very interesting yet, obviously, thats where most inspiration comes from. My own feelings and emotions. Even if you avoid the trap of cliche'd phrasings and ways of speaking about your feelings,

I can't help but feel like a drama queen and wonder if its worth writing down.

not absolutely from your own feelings and emotions . Maybe you wanna write a story 'bout jack and diane?

tow young lovers doin de best dey can! OH YEAH life goes on! long affer the somethin', something'. anyhoo

it ain't all about the inner man. sometime it be about a big ol' butt. ahahah!

My GIRLFRIEND she GOT A BIG OL' BUTT!

but that's alright, that's alright, that's alright

oh oh I love that stuff.

your line FEEL LIKE A DRAMA QUEEN. u that's a line in a song I can hear in my haid now thank you veddy much! NOT! ahahah!

Jus' write a story . larn to write succinctly and with purpose.

the way to purpose and merit is study.

So one must study the MEDIUM of music.

HOW do I do this you osk? simple; listen to music and Larn cover tunes and write the lyrics BY HAND till you feel de words mon flow under your pencil. use pencil by the by..

larn tab and note reading and writink and really get yore fangernails dirty with the level of study.

it'll take yars and yars. so begin simple and steady.

larn one song then another.

study HAIKUS for their subtle nuances and to larn to say a lot with a little.

take a creative writink course (and pass it)

so's you'all kin larn to writ like me am do real goode an' all. ahahah!

my girlfriend she play the drama queen

she act real stupid and she get real mean

she ca my telephone 'bout a hunner'd time

she call me one more I'm gonna lose my mind

who is not like a drama queen

we all act stupid and we all be mean

we all real sorry when we say we come clean

and we go right back to de drama queen

• Members

Originally posted by rcb

Yeah, what he said. Do we really need more songs about ex-girlfriends? Probably not, but if you get your point across in an interesting and/or well-constructed way, then it's okay to have another one, and someone will undoubtedly give a f**k. Or a f@ck. Or possibly a fu#k.
:D

Exactly. Repetitiveness in songwriting topics gets old fast. Not to mention a lot of music centers only around the "I just lost my girlfriend and/or I'm the stereotypical teen and am depressed and junk for no reason". I've actually tried to make writing songs about love taboo for me for a while until I'm good enough to actually present something new to it, instead of just rehashing other songs about love.

Archived