Compare Mesa 50 Cal vs. DC5 vs. Mark III

zeegler

• Members

I'm probably going to pick up a 50 cal, but the DC5 looks to be basically the same, but with 2 full channels. How do they compare soundwise? I assume they both have plenty of gain. Also, how do they compare with a Mark III? I realize they are 50 watts versus 100, but do they sound similar?

• Members

LOVE 50 cals. much simpler circuit, super reliable.. i'm much more a fan of the el84 version than the 6l6.. but great beasts. adjustability is WAY less than with a DC, but once you learn to make the compromises, AND you have an eq (wouldn't suggest one WITHOUT the eq)... i'd take one over the dc's anytime.

don't discount the other dc's too, unless you need a {censored}heap of wattage. the 2 and 3 are great amps as well!

• Members

MKIII's a good amp but the DC is fine for typical gigging. My only advice is to get the DC-3, Mesa always rates their power low and my DC-5 won't overdrive without being cranked to ludicrous volumes. Also,putting a lower gain tube (like a 12AX7) in the phase inverter slot lowers the overall gain and makes the amp sound more 'open'.

• Members

Hey man, I just recently got rid of my DC-5. It was a great amp. Sounded really really similar to a MK-IV. just missing the third channel, and a few other things, but the voicing was really close to the IV. I've never really cared for the Recs, but as far as an affordable Boogie goes, I think the DC-5 is a great amp, and a great deal. Luckily it's still got the 5 band eq, so you can dial the midrange up a lot better than on the Recs. If I hadnt gotten the Twister, I'd have probably kept that amp, but I like the F3 better, Its just got a richer less compressed sound. Seems to me that all the Boogies i play... even the one's I like the sound of, they just dont have any dynamics.... almost like there's a built in compression circuit. If I want compression, I'll use a stompbox.

GP

• Members

I'm probably going to pick up a 50 cal, but the DC5 looks to be basically the same, but with 2 full channels. How do they compare soundwise? I assume they both have plenty of gain. Also, how do they compare with a Mark III? I realize they are 50 watts versus 100, but do they sound similar?

I played through another guys 50 caliber at a gig and it sounded pretty cool. Nice warm drive. I used to own a Mark II. The 50 caliber sounded way better imo

ymmv

Ya know there's two different versions of the 50 cal? El34's I think and 6l6's

• Members

I played through another guys 50 caliber at a gig and it sounded pretty cool. Nice warm drive. I used to own a Mark II. The 50 caliber sounded way better imo

ymmv

Ya know there's two different versions of the 50 cal? El34's I think and 6l6's

el84's-- apparently the first ones had 4 el84's-- i had one, and LOVED it..

• Members

into 8 ohms, yep-- my tech scoped it, and it delivered 50 watts on the dot- even he was surprised, and that dude's seen EVERYTHING...

its one mfer of a loud amp... i used to use it up against a 400 watt 2x15, a drummer with marching sticks, and a guy with a rivera 100 watter.. never choked..

• Members

into 8 ohms, yep-- my tech scoped it, and it delivered 50 watts on the dot- even he was surprised, and that dude's seen EVERYTHING...

its one mfer of a loud amp... i used to use it up against a 400 watt 2x15, a drummer with marching sticks, and a guy with a rivera 100 watter.. never choked..

Wow, cool!

Archived