Should this song start a cd?

Abandoned Brain

• Members

Originally posted by tamoore

There seem to be some timing issues here and there..... If this were tightened up, it would be totally kick ass...

It's still good and feels kind of 'loose' as it is, but somewhat distracting to me....

Yeah. I really should take the time to record the guitars again.

I was wondering, though, if this sort of song would turn alot of people off before they got into the "meat" of the cd. Thanks.

• Members

A certain population will just turn it off/tune it out after 8-16 bars the of the overbearing kick drum. I personally like the song, although I do find the repetetive kick drum wearing. If you varied the kick a little more, more people would contrinue listening to Pixilated (and I would enjoy it even more).

I say that this should not start the CD, becuase once you lose people, they will never come back, and this kick WILL lose listeners. If you place it later in the CD, people will have a higher tolerance/more invested, and they may continue listening and even get into the more varied parts of the song.

• Members

Originally posted by rsadasiv

A certain population will just turn it off/tune it out after 8-16 bars the of the overbearing kick drum. I personally like the song, although I do find the repetetive kick drum wearing. If you varied the kick a little more, more people would contrinue listening to Pixilated (and I would enjoy it even more).

I say that this should not start the CD, becuase once you lose people, they will never come back, and this kick WILL lose listeners. If you place it later in the CD, people will have a higher tolerance/more invested, and they may continue listening and even get into the more varied parts of the song.

Hitting it on the head I think, as to why we were worried about starting this demo off with Pixilated.

I do enjoy the "trance" aspect. I think that the beat with this style of guitars over it is very different, while not being so far fetched that it won't work. You make a great argument, though, as to why it might be better served further down the lineup. Thanks, rsadasiv.

• Members

The kick didn't bother me until I read the comments, then it really started to grate. I thought the intro of the song worked really well as the intro to a larger piece (in this case, a cd), but the song is a little unfocused. After the intro, I got confused as to what was going on. I couldn't place the song into my verse-chorus-verse schema, and I got lost. If the first song gets me lost, I'm not going to make it much further in. There seems to be a little too much going on--the two-voice sections, the brassy guitar, the weird synth sections...

I really like all of the ideas presented, but they aren't gelling as it stands.

Kudos for putting a lot of thought into song placement on a CD--there are few pleasures greater than a well-sequenced piece of music.

• Members

Well, I just posted this on someone else's thread - try picking the most structurally simplistic song to start the CD. It doesn't matter if it's cliche or anything, as long as it attracts the listener's attention and holds it. It also doesn't matter if you think it's your best song, in many cases the 1st song on the CDs I listen to is the worst. Makes listening to a CD the first time really exciting cause each song gets progressively better and you get more and more into it. (not saying make your first song a piece of crap though :D )

• Members

I'm impressed with the way the guitar and other parts jump in and I don't think the changes in volume etc seem forced, like they could if done badly. If you are starting out a CD like others have said, you probably want one of the most catchy, relatively simplistic songs out there first. This song is good in its unique way... but if you are coming from the musical left-field in a lot of ways, you might turn people off who would otherwise like it with a little getting used to it.

By the way, what synths do you use on it?

• Members

That was a cool song. I think its placement would strongly rely on personal preference, or what you think best characterizes your overall "sound". People should be able to listen to your first song and know what the album is most likely going to sound like . If you think that's "Nothing to See" then go for it. Use Pixilated for a revival of energy about 3/4ths of the way through. That's where I think it would fit best. Hope that helps, awesome song btw, I really liked that one.

• Members

Originally posted by Rush_Cool

That was a cool song. I think its placement would strongly rely on personal preference, or what you think best characterizes your overall "sound". People should be able to listen to your first song and know what the album is most likely going to sound like . If you think that's "Nothing to See" then go for it. Use Pixilated for a revival of energy about 3/4ths of the way through. That's where I think it would fit best. Hope that helps, awesome song btw, I really liked that one.

Thanks man. I needed that right now. I'm remixing too many songs at the moment (which is dangerous) and was starting to get frustrated. Very refreshing for me. Pixilated Friend will be right before Legion on this hand-me-out. Again... thanks.

• Members

I have mixed feelings about you music in general.

Granted, I cannot do what you do and you are obviously talented.

I guess what has me scratching my head is .

1. no or very little real bass in your intros, it bugs me. Just me.

2. I don't like electronica!

You have some great arraingments that would sound much better if done with traditional instruments!! IMO!!

Rock on!!

:thu:

Archived