Are older Marshall 1960 cabs better than the current ones?

johnnyl80

• Members

I'm talkin' about the older "standard" 1960A/B cabs, which were badged "JCM 800 - Lead 1960" and "JCM 900 - Lead 1960" (the newer ones just read "1960 Lead" IIRC)...

I think I've read something like this somewhere...

• Members

Yup!

I own a JCM 900 1960 and while its good cab there's a lot of thing that are not up to par with the older ones. I just finished modding my buddy's 80's JCM800 1960 cab and they have ROLA Celestion UK made G12-65's (sound bad ass), the wood from the inside looks very top quality birch wood was used. And also they use to solder directly to the joints not with clips like they do nowadays.

• Members

No they arent because the only reason that they sound better is that older cabs had better speakers in it. So if you will swap the speakers with the same speakers as the older cabs used they will sound the same.

• Members

Kitarist is right.

No difference except for the speakers.

I own a 1960AV(from 2005 or so) and a stripped JCM 800 cab(with a single input on the back, so an old one). The JCM 800 cab has the same particle board back as the 1960AV. Both have fingerjoints and 14 mm baltic birch construction(11-layer birch ply).

The construction is alright, but the wood is too thin in my opinion(should be 18 mm imo) and the back board should be baltic birch ply too.

I think I'm gonna sell my cabs somewhere in thenear future and get a decent 4x12 with V30's.

• Members

I have a 300W JCM800, I just bought a 300W JCM900 (300W meaning: G12T-75 speakers)

Can't really tell a difference between the two.

Both sound 10X better than a new one: cause the speakers have been broken-in for a while.

Old Celestions just sound better than new one (until you beat the crap out of them). Plus they're made in England, not un China ;)

I also have access to a 260W cab (65W speakers) and I don't like it.

Properly broken-in Greenbacks though... sounds :love: in any cab.

• Members

You answered your own question! Chinese cabinets are low quality crap.

Since when did Marshall start making the 1960 (not AVT/MG series) cabs in China? I'm not talking about speakers here- that's Celestion, that was a few years ago. I'm just curious- I was under the impression that all the proper Marshall (again, not solid-state stuff) gear was still manufactured in England.

I'm surprised no one's chimed in with "they're made entirely of particle board" yet. :rolleyes:

• Members

I have 3 Marshall cabs all late models and I changed the backs out with real 5/8 plywood and it made a lot of difference in the tone.Not quite a Bogner Or Mesa But close.It's an easy job just pull off the tolex and reglue it on the new backs.And yes I have changed speakers also but before the back swap.They sound better with any speakers

• Members

Since when did Marshall start making the 1960 (
not
AVT/MG series) cabs in China? I'm not talking about speakers here- that's Celestion, that was a few years ago. I'm just curious- I was under the impression that all the proper Marshall (again, not solid-state stuff) gear was still manufactured in England.

I'm surprised no one's chimed in with "they're made entirely of particle board" yet.
:rolleyes:

Cabs are still made in England, only the speakers are made in China.

• Members

Cabs are still made in England, only the speakers are made in China.

That's what I thought. Seeing how common those cabs are, if Marshall made any change in production I think it would be something of a big deal. Impossible to avoid hearing about it.

• Members

I've been messing around with the speakers in my two 4x12 Marshall's. One is a JCM800 1960A purchased in 1985 and the other is a 1960B JCM900 purchased in 2000 or 2001. The speakers are the same except the 80's one have "ENGLAND" stamped into the speaker frames. The other difference (other than no stereo/mono switching on the old one) is that only the back panel is MDF on the old one and everything BUT the baffle is MDF on the newer one. That's why I couldn't figure out why the 1960B felt lighter when it actually has more material because of having no slant.

I don't prefer the sound of one over the other though. Just things i've noticed.

• Members

only the back panel is MDF on the old one and everything BUT the baffle is MDF on the newer one.

Are you sure about this? Because I have an unloaded 1960AV sitting in my living room I just took the speakers out of a few weeks ago. It's all ply except for the back panel, which is particle board (not MDF- very different materials). Mine is from 2003 and contained English-made Vintage 30s.

• Members

Are you sure about this? Because I have an unloaded 1960AV sitting in my living room I just took the speakers out of a few weeks ago. It's all ply except for the back panel, which is particle board (not MDF- very different materials). Mine is from 2003 and contained English-made Vintage 30s.

That's a nicer cab you have though. I guess I don't know what MDF is but it's the stuff when you look close there's no grain, just minute wooden pellets. Whatever the back is made out of, let's put it that way.

• Members
The cabs are the same the V just signifies different speakers are loaded in it

Oh. I thought the AV was the taller one with gray grill cloth. Anyway, baffle on this 1960B I have is the only real wood I could see. Hence the people who say these are all particle board now, I guess. I really don't care. I think it sounds great and it lighter than my A cab too.

• Members

Oh. I thought the AV was the taller one with gray grill cloth. Anyway, baffle on this 1960B I have is the only real wood I could see. Hence the people who say these are all particle board now, I guess. I really don't care. I think it sounds great and it lighter than my A cab too.

That's the TV. Which is a fine cab by anyone's standards. One of if not the best one they make. But you're right about the sound thing- seeing as I don't Tour All Over, it could be made of laminated donkey dicks for all I care as long as it sounds good. Even then, I could just get a roadcase for it. ;)

• Members

I have two JCM 800 1960's. One with 75's the other with 65's. I also own one JCM 900 1960.

The 800 and 900 with the 75's sound identical. The 800 with the 65's sounds better IMO.

Build quality, they all seem the same :idk:

Archived