What do you think of my songs?

vinylphile

• Members

Magic

This sounds kind of like a mid 60's Who song. I like the falsetto vocals on the chorus, the guitar riff and the piano. Good chord progression. I think you are overreaching a little with the bass and drums. Keith Moon and John Entwistle were a great and flashy rhythm section. You have attempted to replicate the flash without replicating the rhythm and the result is not great.

Monkeys

Got a little of the Dead/Ballad of John and Yoko kind of rock boogie. Again, a nice chord progression and I like the chorus groove. The bass and drums are much more restrained on this, which is good. I still am not crazy about the bass tone - I'm thinking about that big, low thud bass John Lennon used in the early 70's, and this one is too bright. There are a couple of bum notes in the guitar solo.

Senseless

Maybe I just have a difference of opinion with your bass player. He has a consistent sound, so I guess he likes it that way, and his opinion matters a lot more than mine. But a Nirvana song like this needs bass (both the instrument and the frequencies) and I'm not hearing it. A nice song, but it should have more bottom. I'm thinking of Kiss a Pistol's stuff (www.myspace.com/leptus) as a model for this genre.

• Members

Thanks for your insights. As for the bass player - that would be me. I recorded these tracks in my little basement garageband/imac set-up and played all the instruments myself. Drums are an el cheapo Yamaha DTXPlorer electronic kit. You pegged it right though - I am a guitarist first - although perhaps a few more takes on some of the solos would do me good (they were more-or-less improvised). Perhaps I should keep the bass lines more simple, basic (no pun intended!) and less flashy and guitar-like! Anyways, I do appreciate your critique!

• Members

I listened to Monkeys. The timing was all pretty sloppy; the whole thing kind of listened like a car with a poorly aligned rear end. I think this would make a really great B-side if it was cleaned up and sung and played properly.

It sounds like you got a bit lost, but I liked the beginning of the solo. I liked the bass part, but it was not played well. Well played, and with a good drumbeat, it would have really propelled the song.

All in all, a decent song in need of a decent performance.

• Members

Originally posted by vinylphile

I know I'm not a great singer, rather seeking opinions on the songwriting, instrumentation, catchiness, etc...thanks!

I'm sure you want honesty so thats what your gonna get.

Let me start by saying I listened to every song :)

1. Song Writing

Your music is very dated sounding... The songs are very basic which is fine however i found it difficult to listen until the end of each song as nothing happened that grabbed me. Many a songwriter have become famous off very basic tunes but these songs have basic structure, basic melodies, basic instrumentals, basic performaces, basic recording quality, and little to no dynamics.

2. Instrumentation

The band as a whole has terrible time keeping... Your drummer has a tendency to rush his kick.. A LOT, but no one seemed to be playing to a click on this recording. Nothing happened instrumentally that really "hooked". Lacked dynamics and performance.

3. catchiness

ITs really tough for a song to be catchy to a listener if things are out of time and off key. You said you were aware that your not a great singer and I agree with you. In order for a song to Hook it must at least have vocals that are in tune or within the "ball park" of being in tune on top of having a great melody which I also did not hear. "Catchiness" is a term I would categorize with "mainstream" which these songs are not in their current form.

4. The recording

You didn't ask for feedback on this but keep in mind that your "sound quality" is part of the overall experience for the listener as they do not hear the songs as you do. If most people heard their favorite band for the first time on a recording that was off time, out off key, and had poor sound quality then their is a mighty good chance their favorite band would be someone else today.

Completely Honest feedback, no offense intended.

Archived