Please, need a listen-getting ready to submit to A&R

ToxicBass

• Members

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to submit this song "Leave Him Alone" to a specific A&R listing. This is the mix I sent to get copyrighted.

Someone please give me your thoughts on this song/mix. Is it adequate for an Industry demo?

Oh yeah, as it stands, no compression or normalizing; just straight off the tape to disc.

It's the first song listed "Leave Him Alone".

Thanks

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=481684

• Members

Originally posted by ToxicBass

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to submit this song "Leave Him Alone" to a specific A&R listing. This is the mix I sent to get copyrighted.

Someone please give me your thoughts on this song/mix. Is it adequate for an Industry demo?

Oh yeah, as it stands, no compression or normalizing; just straight off the tape to disc.

It's the first song listed "Leave Him Alone".

Thanks

If it were me ,, i dont think i would submit this song. It has alot of problems. Vocals are monotone with little in the way of emotions... you cant even hear the lyrics. I thought i heard a faint attempt at backup singing ,, which was off key. I dont see this song as anything anyone is going to want to invest money in. In my opnion its back to the drawing board.....this song isnt good enough to launch a career on. rat

• Members

Is it adequate for an Industry demo?

I'll have to say, NO.

Although I get the music, it seems it's not suitable for commercial success (if that's what you want). Why?

Well, the song is hard to swallow.

It sounds 80-ish kind of Rock, and I don't think kiddies today

will appreciate that (unless you are Guns, Aerosmith, etc. ;-)).

To which demographic are you attempting to point this song?

• Members

Being brutally frank and honest, this is not going to go anywhere as a demo IMO. The recording quality and the song are just not there yet. That doesn't mean you should pack up and forget it...just means IMO there is still some development needed in those areas for this to succeed in the pro realm.

A

• Members

Whoa, I thought it was kinda cool:(

It wasn't asking for broadcast quality recordings. It was:

Company X is looking for songs for Band Y for their upcoming release. Looking for spacey, grungie with a political twindge...oh hell forget it. I quit:mad:

• Members

lol

Why forget it?!?!?

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it has a different vibe from what it's being offered right now in the world of Rock, especially if it is a Rock song.

Which genre are you trying to approach?

Pop, Metal, Emocore, Metalcore, grindcore, hardcore, punk, etc.

It all depends on Band Y!!! ;-)

• Members

Originally posted by Aaron Cheney

...this is not going to go anywhere as a demo IMO. The recording quality and the song are just not there yet....

I've written and recorded roughly 1,000 songs myself that fit in this category. Quality happens in the midst of quantity. Damn the torpedoes..full speed ahead!

A

• Members

Originally posted by bluesway

hey man, could you post a copy of the listing, so we can get an idea of what you're thinking? (obviously, do it without mentioning the A&R co. you're going thru)

also, i thought the vocals were pretty tight and good for grungy stuff. don't sweat the vox too much, but the real problem is in the demo.

the more i try and get MY demos out, i am getting that A&R people are ABSOLUTELY SICK AND TIRED of overproduced demo tunes with drums and bass and all that extra stuff. most of the time, unless they're looking for an ARTIST instead of a SONG, an acoustic guit/vocal demo is more than enough - and that makes sense. they don't want you as a producer; they want songs. try and lay a track of this tune with acoustic guitar - it leaves more room for a talented producer to flex the style and hear the possibilities inherent in the song.

that's it for now, but i'd really like a look at that listing

• Members

Hmm....

I can tell you from personal experience that if you are pitching song demos in Nashville, LA, or NY....aside from the song NOTHING matters as much as the vocals. They have to be pro all the way to even get the song listened to. If you don't have a pro quality voice then hire someone else to sing for you.

Beyond that, your demo should essentially sound like a finished song. Guitar/vocal demos don't really measure up anymore...unless the song is killer and you already have a relationship w/ a publisher. Publishers are extremely busy and do not have the time or desire to "imagine" what your song will sound like once it properly produced. You have to give it to them properly produced.

No publisher, contest judge, or producer can listen to a rough guitar/vocal demo with lame vocals and pay attention to only the song....no matter what they claim. In the songwriting world we call it The Big Lie. These days your demo has to be a bullet-proof as your song.

A

• Members

Originally posted by bluesway

hey man, could you post a copy of the listing, so we can get an idea of what you're thinking? (obviously, do it without mentioning the A&R co. you're going thru)

"Songs needed by Company X for a group somewhere between The Doors and Alice In Chains. They need songs with a spacey, grungie feel and more than a twindge of a political theme. Current and recent past generalizations preferred.

Broadcast quality is not necessary. Style is not important. Lyrical content is what they're after."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=481684

• Members

Originally posted by Aaron Cheney

Hmm....

I can tell you from personal experience that if you are pitching song demos in Nashville, LA, or NY....aside from the song NOTHING matters as much as the vocals. They have to be pro all the way to even get the song listened to. If you don't have a pro quality voice then hire someone else to sing for you.

Beyond that, your demo should essentially sound like a finished song. Guitar/vocal demos don't really measure up anymore...unless the song is killer and you already have a relationship w/ a publisher. Publishers are extremely busy and do not have the time or desire to "imagine" what your song will sound like once it properly produced. You have to
give
it to them properly produced.

No publisher, contest judge, or producer can listen to a rough guitar/vocal demo with lame vocals and pay attention to only the song....no matter what they claim. In the songwriting world we call it The Big Lie. These days your demo has to be a bullet-proof as your song.

A

well, i'm not being argumentative here, and i'll gladly be the first one to admit that i'm totally wet behind the ears when it comes to song publishing, but the three songs i've gotten covered have all been from guitar/vox pitches, whereas, on the full band stuff, i haven't had any bites yet.

(i also spoke to an A&R guy who was telling me what i posted before, but that may have been just the opinion of himself and the guys he's worked for/with) i guess it could really go either way.

• Members

In my opinion the song is alright. Maybe some of the lyrics don't come off so well but that could be in part because of delivery. Like when you say 'leave him alone, you're not helping'. The last line feels a little tacked on.

You know what this sounds like? Joy Division. This style is too moody for most radio people I'd say. I think the recording needs a lot of work, vocals need practicing, but I can really appreciate the song.

• Members

Originally posted by Staticnz

In my opinion the song is alright. Maybe some of the lyrics don't come off so well but that could be in part because of delivery. Like when you say 'leave him alone, you're not helping'. The last line feels a little tacked on.

You know what this sounds like? Joy Division. This style is too moody for most radio people I'd say. I think the recording needs a lot of work, vocals need practicing, but I can really appreciate the song.

One last post on this before it should die. I'm not sure if anyone understands it. I wrote this song because I am tired of the Left-wing dinosaur media's Bush-bashing. Personally, I support President Bush and the soldiers. Let's break it down:

(pre September 11th sentiment )

Emulate great men of past,

Wondering if it will last,

Masses they don't seem to care,

Tension is filling the air.

(message to the media)

Leave him alone, he's doing the best he can.

Leave him alone, helping some foreign land.

Leave him alone, why won't you lend a hand?

You're not helping.

(September 11th happens; the eyes of the country look to one man)

Evil it falls from the sky,

Everyone scheduled to die,

Monoliths of mankind they burn,

Not knowing where he should turn.

(message to the media)

You're not helping.

BRIDGE: (concensus of the party)

Open your eyes it's your destiny.

Biding your time you'll make history.

Telling no lies you're no good to me.

(Aftermath, followed by widespread corruption)

Allies of old growing thin,

Testing his thickness of skin,

Jester's along for the ride,

Finding there's no place to hide.

(message to the media)

You're not helping.

• Members

holy {censored}; props for the balls to say you support bush. that's not a very popular stance lately. (no, i'm definitely not a bush supporter, either; although i doubt others' ability to handle this situation we're in and i AM sick of the president-bashing, too).

well, that's politics...{censored} that. anyway, you want politics? come down to Puerto rico!! this place is INSANE!!! about your tune, i said it and i'll say it again: i think you need to BREAK THIS SONG DOWN to its core elements and then address the issue of reconstructing when that time comes.

• Members

How can you say that about Puerto Rico Bluesway!!!?????

NOW WE HAVE JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF HERE ON THE ISLAND!!!

Could you believe the balls this guy has?!?

And the worse thing... people follow this guy..

This place couldn't get any worse.

Then we have people say that this isn't a third-world country...

they need to wake up and finally realize... it is.

• Members

Hey, I will admit that I did not listen to the song and am not going to.

But WHY did you ask for opinions about your song if you were going to respond so negatively to the critique.

Obviously you ONLY wanted to hear how it ROCKED!!!

Not suprising, though, considering your politics.

Bush and the rest of the right-wingers, seem to all be in that same mindset. "Give us your opinion......but only if it coincides with mine. Otherwise you are an Un-American hippie"

So here you go, I'll critique your song:

Dude, your song TOTALLY rocks!! I love it!!! Dude it's gonna be a major hit!!! I only wish you'd sell it to ME, so my band could rock out on it. It is just the most amazing thing I have EVER heard!! And your lyrical content is truly inspired!! YOU have it my friend, and I don't know what IT is but you have IT!! Definately pitch that song and make your dreams come true!!!!

Good luck

• Members

Originally posted by crossways

What does his reaction have to do with his politics?!? Don't be so lame. It's natural to be a little upset when you get bad reviews (and not all of them were bad)...I'm sure your ego would take a little beating if the same happened to you. And what's up with the sweeping generalization?

Bush and the rest of the right-wingers, seem to all be in that same mindset. "Give us your opinion......but only if it coincides with mine. Otherwise you are an Un-American hippie"

There's room on this forum for all kinds of people. Just as there are great Democrats and {censored}ty Republicans, there are also {censored}ty Democrats and great Republicans (not to mention great Christians and {censored}ty Christians). The world is not that black and white...Jesus pleezus.

• Members

Hey, I will admit that I did not listen to the song and am not going to.

But WHY did you ask for opinions about your song if you were going to respond so negatively to the critique.

Obviously you ONLY wanted to hear how it ROCKED!!!

So here you go, I'll critique your song:

Good luck

...hmmm, your profile says, "music teacher, military brat, worship leader?

kind of a hypocrite, aren't you?:confused:

I don't think an explanation of the song is negative. I really don't care for your political opinions. I only brought up mine to explain my reasons for writing the song. (This is the songwriting forum, isn't it?)

Please go back to the political forum, or:rolleyes: the Christian Music Forum. Jesus will forgive you for your false patronizing.

Oh, and congratulations on raising the money for your pastors guitar:wave:

...now, please read and perform line 2 in my sig.

• Members

How am I being a hypocrite?!?!?

Because I am a Christian and made a sarcastic post about your response to criticism?

Geeezzz.....

Boy, we are soooo sensative in here aren't we.

Well, I'll tell you what, I apologize for offending you.

Good luck with your music, I'm sure you'll be a great success.

• Members

How am I being a hypocrite?!?!?

I don't think you're being a hypocrite...just an ass. There's a difference between constructive criticism and outright cutdowns, and I believe I speak for most on this forum when I say the latter isn't welcome.

Archived