Instrumentals

sebmista

• Members

Browsing the forum I noticed that there weren't too many (if any, i didnt find any) Instrumental songs. Does "songwriting" include instrumentals? Well heres a work in progress that I have. Nothing but a guitar. I decided to record the acustic guitar through a microphone because i wanted to get the picking sound in. I was wondering if getting a splitter that i could plug both a microphone and the guitar its self to a splitter and that splitter into the microphone jack in my computer and be able to record the guitar at the same time as micking it. Would there be quality lose? Is there a better way?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for listening :)

chelgrain

Oh and heres another Instrumental I made - and yes thats me beat boxing in the beggining haha..

takamin

• Members

There have been debates here regarding that question you posed. I believe instrumentals are part of the songwriting process but there are some that believe otherwise ;-)

Anyway, listened to both songs and again, you can play man!!

Now, I don't know if the splitter thing will work but if I were you,

I'd buy an interface and keep on recording. I bought a Lexicon

Omega Studio package and I think it does it's job (though I don't use it much).

• Members

Well, by definition, a song contains words, so in that sense instrumentals are not songs, but hell...it's all notes when it comes down to it. Why not - I've seen several instrumentals posted on this forum in the short time I've been visiting.

I listened to the first one...nice display of chops. The solo towards the middle was way too busy for my taste (didn't seem to fit the tune), but I thought the rhythm playing was great. Good job.

• Members

holy crap! that guys music is awesome! lately I've been wanting to buy a violin because I've been thinking and I think that I could make some good arrangments with one. After hearing his first song.. I am definatly getting one. I'm so jelous, everyones sound quality is so good!

Thanks for linking me to his thread. I'll definatly be looking out for him to post some more stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by rcb

Well, by definition, a song contains
words
, so in that sense instrumentals are not songs, but hell...it's all notes when it comes down to it. Why not - I've seen several instrumentals posted on this forum in the short time I've been visiting.

I listened to the first one...nice display of chops. The solo towards the middle was
way
too busy for my taste (didn't seem to fit the tune), but I thought the rhythm playing was great. Good job.

i agree, awesome playing but the solo drowns out the rhythm so it sounds out of place.

• Members

Originally posted by ido1957

A Lexicon is very good or if you cannot afford much just get a small mixer. You can plug the guitar and mic into it and send the stereo signal (record out/main out) to your computer.

Good Tunes!

Hmm thats what I was thinking I should do. Get a small 2 channel mixer. They should be under 100 bucks. I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks for your input

Originally posted by RockerOB

you're awesome, man... love the way you dig it!

Thanks man!

Archived