All Around the World - feedback sought

Todzilla

• Members

Here's a new song All Around the World

I'm playing all the instruments, so yeah, there are some execution issues. Still, I'd appreciate any input y'all have, as I'm still tweaking and mixing this unwieldy beast.

Thanks in Advance,

-Todzilla

Lyrics

ALL AROUND THE WORLD

In this mortal coil, all we do is toil and suffer passions

'til the fruits of all our struggles fill the void

Into the fertile soil, oceans start to boil in violent protest

'til the PH balance shifts to alkaloid

All around the world

People dying, people trying to be free

All around the town

People vie for parking in their SUVs

Everything we used to throw into the void is lying broken at our feet

It's just a spherical thing

All around the world

People walk for miles for a chance to eat

All around the town

Drive up windows serve a round of candied meats

• Members

Well your definately a science geek :wave: The lyric content in this, and your other song reeks geek. (RAZ!)

Actually the lyrics are well done and comical at times which works well in the song.

Nice harmonies, well done indeed. Especially the vocal breakdown aroun 2:55.

The guitar leads are a little bland.

Whistles kick ass.

Drums: kick sounds great, snare is buried, toms sound good.

• Members

V-man,

LOL. Yes, it's a geeked tune. How else can I get value out of a BA in Economics and Philosophy?

Agreed on the guitar leads. I'm a keyboard player and I was determined to play all the parts myself without any keyboards, drum machines, loops or samples (except for the single triangle hit to usher the mellow intro part back in midway through the song). In other words, those leads are about as good as it gets until I re-record it with a real guitar player.

The Whistles were just fun to do. There's four of them layered on top of each other and I just about pulled a cheek tendon doing it a gazzillion times to get it just right.

Thanks for the snare feedback. I'll continue to tweak the EQ and compression. Toms are all leaked into overheads and room mic, as there were no dedicated tom mics. I had 8 inputs we could simultaneously record, so I went with:

AKG D112 inside kick, Audix D4 on beater side of kick, Audix SM57 equiv on snare, SM57 under snare, SM57 on hi-hats, 2 Crown CM700s on overheads and a Neuman U-89 for room mic.

Keep the feedback comin' y'all! I have a lot of mixdown left to do.

• Members

Great use of rhyme. You use the rhyming dictionary the way Depeche Mode uses drum machines--why hide it?

There are a few elements that are a little too familiar--the rhythm guitar (I think it's from "Bitch" by Meridith someone) and the verse melody sound like something I've heard before.

I think the vocal overdubs on this one are a little less essential than on the other one, and the song wouldn't be missing anything if they were gone. Particularly the first go-round--the last set makes a good coda (can you tell I'm typing as I'm listening?).

I agree that the whistling is great and the lead guitar is bland, although I don't think a bitching guitar solo is the answer. Maybe the same line with a more interesting tone? Maybe even on a different instrument?

It's great to see you back here--I've missed you tunes.

• Members

Wow, I always thought my other recent submission, Everything I Need was the more obvious XTC ripoff, but you're not the first one to note the similarity of this song to the Swindon lads.

I'm just hoping it's not a particular song of theirs. The chord progression is similar to lots of other tunes, but prolly not XTC's.

Thanks!

• Members

I listened to All Around The World first. Both songs have the heavy XTC thing going. I doubt you've ripped anything off note for note but surely the style is bang on. Are you really going for their sound or are you wanting to mix it up a little with other influences?

Anyways, great work...really enjoyed listening to these.

• Members

Eeg,

Any resemblance to punk-pop musicians from Swindon England is purely coincidental.

Thanks for your words. I never deliberately try to cop someone's styles anymore. When I used to try, it sounded horrible and contrived.

I have a love of rather acrobatic soaring melodies, interesting lush chords and odd changes, much lik XTC. Plus I started listening to them in 1979 and never looked back.

Most of my other stuff is probably not as Partridgian.

• Members

Cool song Todzilla - the variety of parts and the arrangement is very well done. The overall recording is good - nice and clean. VSpace's mix items were pretty much right on. This is a big arrangement so it might take a few teaks to get it where it needs to be. Liked it!

:D:):D:)

Archived