Official: 5150/6505 Tube Depot !!

Iron Lotus

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

I still have the same tubes, i recently read though that you arent supposed to even put something like a Tung-Sol in the v3 spot because it will fry it up. Right now its Right To Left:

Tungsol 12ax7

jj Ecc83s Gold

jj Ecc83s reg

Penta 12ax7

Balanced Sovtek LPS

Power tubes are still rubys mstr 6l6.

Im thinking since I ran my tungsol in v3 for so long it

might have ate it up a little bit, Im torn between that

and the ecc83 in v1. I think Im set with the gold pin staying in v2.

• Members

I bought mine (6505+) from forumite ZOMBIELAND and to be honest, I haven't even messed with the tubes. I know there are some kind of Ruby 6L6's in the power section. No idea about the preamp tubes, but it sounds so {censored}ing killer I'm not going to mess with it until they burn out.

• Members

:soapbox:

Well, I was able to crank my shit up tonight.:cop:

I got out the euro-bias and the fluke77 and adjusted

my bias knob on the 5150, So the Ruby6l6gcmstr's were@38mA.

My settings pretty much have never changed I always go

back to the ones I posted when I started this thread.

I switched the TungSol reissue and the JJ-ecc83s back and fourth while

leaving the others the same. (gold pin ecc83s stayed in v2). :facepalm:

I swear I like things about both tubes in v1. But something is

just fucking annoying and shrill laying over the top of everything.

If I lean down and put my ear level with a speaker I dont really

hear it. I stand up and I can hear it like "hovering" over the brutalness.

Maybe my tungsol is going out from running

it in the cathode follower stage for so long, But I dont remember hearing

that back when I was saying how awesome my tone was. So im going to

do some more moving around tomorrow. This is what I want to try..

From right to left

JJ-ecc83s

TungSol 12ax7

JJ-gold ecc83s

Penta 12ax7

Sovtek LPS

...and I'll see what that sounds like.

I think I remember not liking the goldpin in v1 but

I might switch that in there just to make sure...

• Members

Didn't want to start a new thread, and I figure if there's any place to ask, this would be it.

my 5150II has been giving me some {censored} lately. On volume 3 it sounds like a line 6 spider, All treble and grainy. No balls or volume. It's been cutting in and out, and doing this back and forth for a few days. It made it through a practice the other day, but it doesn't seem to be coming back again.

The power tubes are a little old, but don't have much time on them. I tried swapping an old one around with no change. I'm guessing that it's the preamp section, But I'm not certain, as I've never had a problem with them or changed them. Maybe the phase inverter?

It's happening on both channels, I've tried cleaning the jacks.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Members

That really doesnt mean anything.

Point is when people refer to v1 or v2...

They need to know where it is in relation

to this amp. Plenty of people I know thought

it was v1-v5 left to right.

For consistency sake, most people refer to them as V1 (closest to input jack) through V5 in order, because that is the typical nomenclature associated with preamp tube positions. Your method only works if you had the schematic and layout of the board in front of you, the other method doesn't require anyone to have a schematic, or know the circuit board layout, but can communicate clearly with others as long as they are both using the same naming method.

The bottom line is that you could call any given tube position "grandma's underpants" and it doesn't change anything. The point is to use consistent language so that you don't have to add all sorts of clarification after the fact to make sure that someone else is on the same page with you.

You're intentions were noble, but people use certain naming conventions consistently for a reason. It annoys me when people use the term "classical music" to refer to any orchestral music, whereas technically it only applies to music produced during the classical period. If I were to point this out to everyone who used the term incorrectly, I'd be technically correct, but since the vast majority of people use the term differently, there really isn't anything to be gained by confusing them.

• Members

What speakers are you using with it?

Yeah I figure the Celestion G12t75 speakers in the marshall cab

isnt helping... I tightened them down and sealed the inside

of the cab which actually helped it, Id like to get some v30's

to X pattern. I just remember it sounded fucking NASTY and

at that time, I had the same 4x12.... same Celestions.

But I remembered I switched out the stock chip

in my resistor modded TS-9 (w/ the maxon circuit board), For a Burr Brown....

Its the 2nd chip I tried, And Seems like I like the original one better

Seems like every chip I tried added a slight harsh quality or something

over tone... Weird.. The stock chip just sounds better.

So I slipped it back in there last night, I was swapping my pre amp

tubes for about 2 hours, on, off, on, off.. Just listening, swapping

back.. listening. Right now Im sitting on this right to left....

v1-TungSol 12ax7

v2-JJ ecc83s gold

v5-JJ ecc83s reg

v3-Penta 12ax7

v4-Sovtek lps

For those who say there is no difference in gold pin vs normal...:cop:

Yeah thats bullshit, I notice a difference when the tung sol

is in V2, And you put the JJ's before and after, Then switch

the JJ's leave the tungsol and play again.... You can hear the difference.

I like the sound of the gold pin better... it IS smoother.:thu:

Im thinking something else in v1 would help me out, And Id rather

run the tungsol in v5 (3rd slot) but its a cathode follower so no-go.

I dont like the penta up front, So its staying where its been.

• Members

And on another note.... I know CALIBAN is users of 5150 amps.

The awakening was jcm800 and 5150. But everybody thought

it was ENGL amps. Anyway their last cd "Say hello to tragedy"

has a song on it called "coma" ... And at the 1:10 youll hear

just guitar, and is it just me, Or is that shit fucking thick-nasty.

Another just guitar bit at 3:14, and then 4:04 all same song.

Yeah thats some heavy ass guitar tone and it doesnt sound

processed pretty much at all to my ears. Im lookin at my 5150

like... "Hey motherfucker... can you do that? can you!?!?!???" :evil:

And while Im on that CD, I love the songs "24 years", "calibans revenge",

and another one called "in the name of progression"...All tones that

I feel like I can get close to with the right tubes. I feel like it can do it.

You should give it a listen and discuss what you are hearing.

:blah::blah::idea::idea:

• Members

In my 6505+ I am running a silver dragon and a vintage RCA and a vintage sylvania on the gain stages and I really like the tone out of it no buzzy sound I hear so many complain about

I am going to try a few more vintage tube just for fun but I like where it's at right now

• Members

Yeah I figure the Celestion G12t75 speakers in the marshall cab

isnt helping... I tightened them down and sealed the inside

of the cab which actually helped it, Id like to get some v30's

to X pattern. I just remember it sounded {censored}ing NASTY and

at that time, I had the same 4x12.... same Celestions.

Cool..

I like the G12T75's with the 6505+.. right now im using the WGS HM75 & I like it a lot.

Anyhow, yeah sealing & tightening up your cab is a good thing regardless. I wouldnt recommend insulation either. Just make sure you didnt OVERtighten the speakers as that can cause warping which could cause noise & other probs.

• Members

I'm about to pick up a used 5150. The guy says the tubes are fairly new, but I don't know if this is a good combination for a 5150:

The preamp tubes are from left to right: VHT 12AT7, JJ ECC83S, JJ ECC83S, Groove Tubes GT 12AX7, Groove Tubes GT7025.

Any good, or should I look at picking up some new tubes for it?

On a related note, I'm also looking to pick up a new Avatar cab. Any speaker recommendations that go well with a 5150? I can't stand v30's, so those are out. I was thinking G12T75's. My buddy has a Marshall 1960a loaded with them and it sounds killer with his dual recto.

• Members

I'm about to pick up a used 5150. The guy says the tubes are fairly new, but I don't know if this is a good combination for a 5150:

Any good, or should I look at picking up some new tubes for it?

On a related note, I'm also looking to pick up a new Avatar cab. Any speaker recommendations that go well with a 5150? I can't stand v30's, so those are out. I was thinking G12T75's. My buddy has a Marshall 1960a loaded with them and it sounds killer with his dual recto.

I love k100s in a closed back cab with the 5150. Also, for tubes, the best I have found so far are chinese silver dragons. Rubys are good too. The jjs will probably not last too long...they tend to go out quicker than others...however, if you hear it and you like how it sounds, then just stick with whats in there.

• Members

I love k100s in a closed back cab with the 5150. Also, for tubes, the best I have found so far are chinese silver dragons. Rubys are good too. The jjs will probably not last too long...they tend to go out quicker than others...however, if you hear it and you like how it sounds, then just stick with whats in there.

Will do and I'll check out those speakers. Thanks!!

• Members

Will do and I'll check out those speakers. Thanks!!

I wasnt happy with the v30s either, theyre a decent rock speaker, but they cut too much highs for my taste. I was using V30/Tonkers & that worked (tonkers have extended highs), but the G12T75's are a nice sound for the 5150's imo.

Id really love to try the ET65, I like clips ive heard..

• Members

I wasnt happy with the v30s either, theyre a decent rock speaker, but they cut too much highs for my taste. I was using V30/Tonkers & that worked (tonkers have extended highs), but the G12T75's are a nice sound for the 5150's imo.

Id really love to try the ET65, I like clips ive heard..

I didn't have a problem with the highs, I just find the low end on them to be "flubby".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just tossed a Tung Sol in V1 and boy, did it make a difference. Much more articulate sounding than the Groove Tubes that was in there. Mind you, I just got the amp used and I have no idea how much life there is left in the preamp tubes (power tubes are apparently about 6 months old). I also re-arranged the order that was in there. It came from left to right: VHT 12AT7, JJ ECC83S, JJ ECC83S, Groove Tubes GT 12AX7, Groove Tubes GT7025. Now I've got it from left to right: VHT 12AT7, Groove Tubes GT 12AX7, JJ ECC83S, JJ ECC83S, Tung Sol 12AX7.

I noticed the pins on the JJ's looked tarnished. A sign that maybe they need to be replaced? Also, is the VHT 12AT7 a good tube for the PI? I can't seem to find much info on this tube.

• Members

Has anyone tried Mullards in the pre-amp? Jerry at FJA mods seems to love them, but I'd like someone else's opinion. I don't know if I can get them locally, so I'd have to order them online.

I love Mullards in the PI. I put a JJ in V1 and added a couple rft's and it sounds great. :love:

• Members

Sweet fancy Moses, I love Tung Sol in this amp!! My local shop didn't have much selection, so I picked basically what they had and boy, did it make a difference.

You can see what I had in there before a few posts up, but now the layout is as follows from left to right:

V4: Tung Sol 12AX7, V3: GT 12AX7-R, V5: EH Gold Pin 12AX7, V2: Tung Sol 12AX7, V1: Tung Sol 12AX7.

So much brighter and articulate sounding. I hated the JJ's in every position. They're just too dark and flat sounding to my ears. I don't know why people love them so much TBH.

I'm quite happy with my tone now, however I'd still like to try some Mullards.

Archived