Official: 5150/6505 Tube Depot !!

Iron Lotus

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I just put it wrong. When I play with all stock tubes, and I set mids on 5 and higher the sound become very hard,square,hard to articulate. But it's not about mids,it's about tubes, I described this wrong.

Anyway,now I have ecc81 in second spot from right, so it take's a litle gain from lead channel, and its better for me,sound is more articulate,softer. But this tube also take tightness, and litle dynamic. So i think what else I can do, is to try with 5751(or 12AX7LPS) in second spot,it will take also gain,and it should make sound more like I want,but I hope it will leave this claw which stock 6505+ have.

I don't have idea what happens if I start mess with PI spot,shuld I look there to resolve my thing??

Also I don't know how react other 12ax7,did they just sound litle deifferent? or can make real different in sound character?

Also I have new JJ6l6,but I'm waiting first to set pre,cause I heard that they just put a cosmetic boost.

Other thing,that it can happen cause speakers,on G12t sound was softer,so meyby I'm looking in wrong place.

• Members

been messing around with preamp tubes in my 6505 recently. right now i have tungsol in V1 and PI with JJ's in between. im really trying to get a smooth tone still with a good bit of crunch, lows, and balls (umph). however id like it to sound really good at lower volumes too without all the buzz,and i really want to smooth over the higher registers. i was thinking of getting a JAN Phillips 5751 in the V1, and pushing the tungsol back a slot so running...fromt RIGHT to LEFT down the chain 5751-->Tungsol-->JJ-->JJ-->Tungsol. Think this will solve the problem? I have a Sovtek 12AX7LPS to throw around if need be in the PI or something. any help appreciated

• Members

In my 5150 II I'm running Tung-sol reissues in V1 through V5, a Sovtek LPS in the PI and a quartet of JJ 6L6GC's in the power amp. This is hands down the best tube set up I've ever heard in a 5150 II. It's thick and tight from the bass all the way through the highs. Most of the pre-amp related brittle mid-range is gone and the top end is like a machine gun.

• Members

In my 5150 II I'm running Tung-sol reissues in V1 through V5, a Sovtek LPS in the PI and a quartet of JJ 6L6GC's in the power amp. This is hands down the best tube set up I've ever heard in a 5150 II. It's thick and tight from the bass all the way through the highs. Most of the pre-amp related brittle mid-range is gone and the top end is like a machine gun.

Do you find that the Tung Sols are lasting? They never keep their sound for longer than 3months... for me that is. They seem to sound too fizzy after a while. Sounds great at first but the sound changes to my ears.

Same issue I was/am having with the Mullard reissue.

• Members

Do you find that the Tung Sols are lasting? They never keep their sound for longer than 3months... for me that is. They seem to sound too fizzy after a while. Sounds great at first but the sound changes to my ears.

Same issue I was/am having with the Mullard reissue.

Mine have been in for close to a year I guess. Still sounds fantastic. Although I have heard of the Tung-sol reissues going microphonic if moved around too much. I've not personally had any problems.

• Members

I did some tube swapping yesterday and thought I would post my results. I did the bias mod on my 6505+, put in a quad set of TAD's, and got the preamp tubes from Doug. Stock it had from left to right EH, EH, JJ,JJ,JJ,JJ. I changed that to 9th gen, Penta, 9th gen, Tung Sol, 9th gen and JJ. It tamed things down TOO much, and after a few months I decided to mess around. So far, I'm happy. EH, EH, JJ, Tung sol, JJ and JJ. The JJ in V1 was pretty inarticulate, so I put the Tung sol back in there and made things much better. I also had it biased around 33, and I knocked it down to 29-30. Sounds killer. Got my harmonics back that it seemed to lack with the 9th gens. Just wanted to share the info.

• Members

About how much is it for the whole set? and where can I order these?

Also do you play the brootals? because that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

• Members

Does anybody order their tubes from
http://www.tubedepot.com
?

I just did in fact. Got some preamp tubes from them, 12ax7wb and some more lps and a au7. Did some moving around of tubes in my 5150 today but didnt come up with anything positive. I will work on it in the AM some more. I might work a boost on rhythm chan, see if I can get some better sounding palm mutes. BTW, mine is running about 32mA with GT 6L6 tubes. You know what I oughta do, take them out and put them in the 5153, take the wxts out of that and throw em in the 5150. I had a prob with the 53 that I couldnt bias the wxts hot enough with the small sweep of the bias pot, maybe the GTs will be hotter :confused:

• Members

If I can get something sounding ok tomorow, I will put some clips in here. I am really new to recording but I should be recording everything for good practice. Plus I could use some critiquing. My biggest prob so far is mic placement but I might be getting better at it, plus my new firepod is working good.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Members

thought i would bring this thread back to life.

i have just orderd some pre tubes to replace the stock tubes in my 6505 gain section

i orderd one each of tungsol sovtek and electro harmonics.

im gonna have a swap around and experiment a bit with my old and new tubes.

kicking it off from right to left.

Tongsol---sovtec---electro harmonics---jj---electro harmonics

i will have a bit of a record at practice and put them up

Archived