Official: 5150/6505 Tube Depot !!

Iron Lotus

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just though I would bring this thread back since I am working on a 5150II. What are you guys using for the first preamp slot (closest to input jack) on the 5150II/6505+? Most of the comments on here have been for the 5150/6505 and pretty much fall in line with what I have with the Savage and plan to do with the 5150II, but I just dont know what to do with that extra spot. Im pretty sure that tube only matters for the clean/crunch channel, so if it makes a difference I will only be using it for clean. I would check out a buch of tubes for myself, but at the moment I do not have a bunch of tubes/the time and patience, and I am getting the amp biased with new TADs at the moment anyway

• Members

Just though I would bring this thread back since I am working on a 5150II. What are you guys using for the first preamp slot (closest to input jack) on the 5150II/6505+? Most of the comments on here have been for the 5150/6505 and pretty much fall in line with what I have with the Savage and plan to do with the 5150II, but I just dont know what to do with that extra spot. Im pretty sure that tube only matters for the clean/crunch channel, so if it makes a difference I will only be using it for clean. I would check out a buch of tubes for myself, but at the moment I do not have a bunch of tubes/the time and patience, and I am getting the amp biased with new TADs at the moment anyway

The +/II series the input tube is actually one over unlike most amps its the closest to the input. Ive tried alot of different preamps tungsol,jj,rft,eh and more and still like the Chinese 12ax7B's the best and a jan5751 in the PI. I still would like to try a some winged C's at some point. You'll like the +/II series after owning a few savages and most of the Engl line the lead channel is tight no need to boost.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Since the 5150 II and 6505+ have an extra tube for the clean channel, can you put a tube in that slot without affecting the lead channel?

Like if you wanted to put a low gain tube in there just for cleans Does it work like that?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Since the 5150 II and 6505+ have an extra tube for the clean channel, can you put a tube in that slot without affecting the lead channel?

Like if you wanted to put a low gain tube in there just for cleans Does it work like that?

Well the V6 tube is the only tube fully dedicated to the rhythm channel and on paper playing with it should not afffect the lead tone.

With that in mind one can then try to tame the rhythm channel (make it "cleaner" by using a lower gain tube like a 12AT7 (60% gain compared to 100% 12AX7) or maybe a JAN 5751 which is 70% gain and caracteristics closer to a 12AX7.

I know some have put 12AT7 in V6 with success but its a hit or miss based on some recommendation I got from a tech as a 12AT7 is very different in nature than a 12AX7.

One thing is sure that V6 is the one to play with without affecting you overall tone.

I ordered some JAN GE 5751 and will try it in my V6 as I dont need a rhythm channel and only need Lead and clean...

I will also maybe test it in V1 as some people said it might also help to lower the first tube in gain and get a little bit more articulate tone.

A 6505+ has plenty of gain anyway so you would just endup raising a little bit your gain.

V1 is a critical tube also and should be a good quality low noise/microphonic as posible.

• Members

I have a new 6505+ anyone know what brand of preamp tubes they come with stock, it was made in 2010. I heard there JJ's, but i've had no reason to look as it performs perfectly.

Like in computer science, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Too many people buy an amp and immediatly want to modify it even without having fully explored its actual tonal caracteristics.

Its like the fact they mod or personalize it will make it sound better, well thats more in the mind than in the ears very often...

There is nothing bad trying to find the ultimate tone, but most of the time its only a time and money consuming thing.

If you like it keep it that way ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So I picked up a 12at7 and a 12au7. I put the au7 in my SLO clone via recommendation from the builder (knux) and it sounds really smooth now. It went in v5 of that one. Should I try and put the at7 or au7 in v5 of the fiddy?

what possision? THe cold clipping ?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

6505+ head

I tried a bunch of new and ANOS 12AX7 and found a mix of old tubes that works great for the lead channel.

Tungsram in the input. Some obscure Japanese 12AX7 (hate this tube in other amps) in the next socket and a RCA black plate in the third. I put a GE long plate in the PI. (the LPS is not that bad but pales to the GE)

I should have started with the power tubes. I run the amps post at 3.5 or 4 and the pre the same. so I am really getting tone from both.

So, I tried a pair of TAD 6L6WGC-STR on the outer slots and right away noticed a big improvement in tone and clarity. The raspy highs were tamed and the sound was more pleasant. I put a pair of ANOS GE 6L6GC in the middle two slots and things only got better. I subbed RCA black plates for the GE and it got even better. I put a pair of China KT66 in instead of the RCA and found an interesting mix of clarity and low end depth.

• Members

6505+ head

I tried a bunch of new and ANOS 12AX7 and found a mix of old tubes that works great for the lead channel.

Tungsram in the input. Some obscure Japanese 12AX7 (hate this tube in other amps) in the next socket and a RCA black plate in the third. I put a GE long plate in the PI. (the LPS is not that bad but pales to the GE)

I should have started with the power tubes. I run the amps post at 3.5 or 4 and the pre the same. so I am really getting tone from both.

So, I tried a pair of TAD 6L6WGC-STR on the outer slots and right away noticed a big improvement in tone and clarity. The raspy highs were tamed and the sound was more pleasant. I put a pair of ANOS GE 6L6GC in the middle two slots and things only got better. I subbed RCA black plates for the GE and it got even better. I put a pair of China KT66 in instead of the RCA and found an interesting mix of clarity and low end depth.

What guitar & speakers/cab you using?

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Its been a while.. but now Mine is set up like this....

Power tubes are matched

Ruby 6l6-MSTR

(from left to right)

v4- Sovtek 12ax7lps (closest to power tubes)

v3- Penta Labs 12ax7

v5- JJ Gold Pin ecc83s

v2- JJ ecc83s

v1- Tung Sol 12ax7

Tubes biased like 40ma maybe.. Dont remember

but Im liking it.. every time I throw in an electro harmonix pre amp tube,

I like something about it.. but something also turns me off after a little while

of having it in there.. so they always end up not being used.. the tung sol keeps finding

its way back into the first slot, I like it in the 2nd slot sometimes but it ends up in the 1st after a while.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ok,first in 2012! woohoooo!

After few years and after replace my 6505+ with 5150 I returned to mess with the tubes. I had to, i just figured that ALL my 5150 tubes are NoNames,even single letter, only one number "5" on single tube in far right slot in pre section. Well, it all sounds decent, but i guess not as decent as it can. Soooo.....

Tung-sol, JJ=first to check

But, did anyone know something about:

12AX7B Shuguang?

12AX7VKA Voskhod?

how they work?how they sound?

For second-12AX7LP Sovtek- I read they are more suited for 5150 than 12AXLPS. Any knowledge?

Good day for you.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Okay yeah, so right now Im running it from left to right.......

v4 - EH 12ax7

v3 - Penta Labs 12ax7

v5 - Penta Labs 12ax7

v2 - JJ ecc83s

v1 - 9th gen Chinese 12ax7

Keep in mind I always use a TS-9 as a clean boost, I did the adjustable bias and run power tubes at about 30mA

I changed a couple of resistors in the ts-9 as well for the whole 808 mod thing also.

And Ive always ran EMG's modded at 18 volts. I tune to A and B, and use 70's on the Eclipse.

Got to crank it the other day and it sounded really nice, very thick.

I really want to try the TAD power tubes... and try an ecc82s gold pin in the V3 fx loop stage (cathode follower)

I dont know what it was about the tung sol, but Id put it in, and then later take it out. Then Id put it back in...

Id love it.... and then something would grind on me almost subconciously... so Id take it back out. It tested as bad

a while back via my tube tester, so I trashed it. I really dig the chinese 9th gen in v1. Still experimenting....

Archived