2 guitar-crazy instrumentals

BATSBREW

• Members

The first one's is a little too long for me but otherwise good.

The second one is the right length and is more interesting to me, but some of the sounds you use don't thrill me - the synth-y chiming at the beginning and the electronic-y drumming. But I like the dark feel of it.

Your guitar playing and tone is fab. Good work.

• Members

eeglug

thanks for checking it out...

the 1st trax tune, is a bit longish.....

but it's hard to develop those melody and harmony ideas much shorter...

the 2nd half jam, yeah, it could be chopped shorter...

the 2nd tune, Zoom, i used a zoom 123 drum machine (when i first got it, it had some patterns already programmed, and i used one of those for the chimey thing)

but along with the loop, i played a chimey guitar part on top of it.....

i wonder, if i blended the drum machine part down, just for that section, and made the guitar track a lot louder, if it'd be less annoying.....

hm.

i'm trying to dump these tracks out of my old roland vs backup discs, into sonar, to re-mix them, with automation..

that'd be a perfect excuse right there, trying to re-mix those drum machine tracks...

thanks!

• Members

by the way, can anyone hear the difference between the two recordings, sonic-wise?

1st tracks, was recorded at 24 bit, Zoom was recorded at 20 bit.

zoom was mastered in the roland vs880ex with a mastering multi effect, 1st tracks was mastered in sonar using Sonitus multiband and eq.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I actually listened again earlier today and quite frankly I can't tell the difference in sound quality. But then I'm listening on crappy speakers. Also, the drumming source is different on each so it's hard to compare that way. Have you tried posting your tune on one of the guitar-centric forums? You might get more response as this songwriting forum is a little low traffic - plus you've got instrumentals here which ppl might just ignore as not qualifying as songwriting.

• Members

eeglug

"I actually listened again earlier today and quite frankly I can't tell the difference in sound quality. But then I'm listening on crappy speakers."

LOL

well, thanks anyway.

i would suppose that most folks are actually listening thru studio monitors, cuz if not, it would make most mix and eq opinions somewhat diminished....

"Have you tried posting your tune on one of the guitar-centric forums?"

yes, i get a good bit of feedback from the guitar freaks on those kinds of forums, and they talk about tone this and equipment that, but not many comments about song structure and melody. that's why i come here.

"You might get more response as this songwriting forum is a little low traffic"

boy, you aren't kidding!

LOL ;)

"plus you've got instrumentals here which ppl might just ignore as not qualifying as songwriting."

au contraire, pierre!

LOL

these songs are just as valid as anything with a lyric and a heartbeat...

in songs like these, i find that melody lines are harder to 'invent', harder to create, and harder to perform, than my typical sing-song format tunes...

i find i end up spending a whole lot more time working out harmonies and melodies and chord structures that actually work, than i do finding simple rhymes and melodies to go along with typical verse-bridge-chorus type song structure.

it requires quite a bit of focus and diligence for me to come up with advanced melodies and harmonies on stuff like this, especially a song like 'Zoom', where everything is worked out in advance....

i would think anyone into the craft of 'songwriting' would enjoy the work put into these...

but i've been wrong before!

;)

• Members

these songs are just as valid as anything with a lyric and a heartbeat...

I'm totally with you on this. I listen to a lot of instrumental work and I think much of it is closer to song structure than, say, classical sonata form. But most people (here anyway) seem to regard songwriting as having vocals & words in it.

OTOH if the solos are too long and unvaried I start to feel that I'm no longer listening to a song. I prefer Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow over his Wired album, which I find not very tuneful regardless of the amazing chops on display. I also like various Zappa instrumentals through the years but tend to be lukewarm over those that are purely guitar solo vehicles. I also listen to a fair amount of classic prog from time to time.

• Members

I'm totally with you on this. I listen to a lot of instrumental work and I think much of it is closer to song structure than, say, classical sonata form. But most people (here anyway) seem to regard songwriting as having vocals & words in it.

medeski, martin and wood's probably my favorite band. ....also, i find bill frisell's work to be BREATHTAKING songwriting. it's in the package. (that's for me, personally)

as for the rest, i don't think people in here need a song to have vocals; the instrumental needs to have direction, though and not be MISSING anything. i find usually that the listeners in here have a pretty good understanding of that.

now, i purposefully wrote this without having listened to batsbrew's tunes. i'll check them out tomorrow or something.

• Members

hey man...i love the continual reference to freshies....i totally miss the cold weather and snowboarding and skiing...did it about 50-70 times every winter until i moved to PR...i surf now, tho...and that's definitely a worthy sub.

anyway, the first tune doesn't feel like anything more than solo fodder at first listen. the playing is really strong rock guitar chops, but i'm a 'less is more' guy (hence my frisell mention up there) and there's a need for a theme, from where i'm sitting....admittedly, though, i really strongly dislike gary hoey, satch, vai, malmsteen, and many of the others in that group...just a style thing. that said, i feel like this song's been written before by at least 3 of those guys.

i'm really trying not to sound like a dick here, and i'm definitely out of my listening element....you ask a real deep rap fan what's the difference between nas and, well...anyone and they'll actually be able to give you a comprehensive answer....ask someone who can't stand rap, and it all sounds the same to them. this song needs to be listened to by someone who likes this style a bit more....i'm actually just commenting b/c i said i would....else, i'd feel like i had nothing constructive.....which i don't. :blah:

ps- props on that real SRV vibe you have going with about 1:30 left. nice tone and playing there...definitely my favorite part of the tune.

• Members

BLUESWAY-

"and i'm definitely out of my listening element...."

i hear you, about trying to comment on song style that you admittedly aren't into from the get go.

i always say 'you can't please everyone, all the time', and it's especially true with music.

folks that aren't into this style (rock guitar instrumental), will throw names around kind of indiscriminately ("i really strongly dislike gary hoey, satch, vai, malmsteen, and many of the others in that group") and in doing so, it actually explains that sometimes the listener is really 'generalizing', and that typically doesn't help a lot in a critique.

kinda like a guy going off on 'rippin' guitar' just because it's 'rippin' guitar', and it could still suck!!

LOL ;)

but that's cool...

as i said earlier in the thread, the 1st tracks thing was designed to serve the second half, for the extended guitar jam..

the Zoom song, was meticulously crafted and arranged, with even the 'flat' bend notes at the ends of certain solo sections placed for 'effect'....

maybe you didn't get to listen to that one..

but either way, thanks for commenting, i appreciate it.

• Members

god9

thanks for reviewing...

the 'zoom' song was done with a programmed drum machine.

the 'first tracks' song, was programmed in the pc using Acid.

guitar parts:

'zoom'- '84 Carvin dc200k, thru a boss DS-1 into a mark2b mesa boogie head, into a roland 1x12 cab with a celestion greenback, miced with a combo of sm57 and AT4033.

'1st tracks' - a custom built strat, called the 'cream machine', with bill lawrence pickups in it...thru a Barber Direct Drive SS pedal, into the mesa boogie head, into the roland 1x12 cab with a celestion greenback, miced with a ADK Hamburg.

musicman2006

thanks for listening!

yep, some of the solo, especically the long 2nd half of 1st tracks, is indulgent.

but, in the keeping of the song, it's a memory of long and winding deep powder runs high up in the wasatch mountains, where the intensity pretty much stays high, but plateaus in spots, and picks back up again, just like riding in the snow is on the more extreme terrain...

listening to a lot of SRV and Blackmore in years gone by, these guys would both take quite some time to say what they had to say...

in this day of very short attention spans, i typically edit myself to shorter solo sections, shorter melody ideas, and mix em up more..

but these two songs were specifically tailored to the 'guitar lover's crowd', which balance out all the 'song oriented' material i also write.

thanks again!!

Archived