favorite christisan rock

• Members

I'm thinking of rejoining the fold. My sinful ways have brought me nothing but shame, stress and misery.

My favorite Christian album is Slow Train Coming by Bob Dylan. Mark Knofler (sp?)'s playing is fantastic, and that one song is all like "when you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up blah blah blah blah blah!??!?!!" It makes me feel fire inside.

I also like I saw the light by Hank Williams. It's one of the few cover songs I know. It's so happy. I'm glad Hank is in heaven, otherwise I'd be sad because he drank himself to death.

What else should I listen to?

• Members

It's hard to find good gospel, just like it's hard to find good soul--there's a lot of crap out there. But good gospel is a lot better than good Christian rock. Dixie Hummingbirds, the various Blind Boys, and the Mighty Clouds of Joy are good. The Rev. James Cleveland played with Aretha Franklin, and has done some amazing organ and vocal stuff.

Good luck with the spiritual rebirth. I'm probably due myself.

• Members

It's hard to find good gospel, just like it's hard to find good soul--there's a lot of crap out there. But good gospel is a lot better than good Christian rock. Dixie Hummingbirds, the various Blind Boys, and the Mighty Clouds of Joy are good. The Rev. James Cleveland played with Aretha Franklin, and has done some amazing organ and vocal stuff.

Good luck with the spiritual rebirth. I'm probably due myself.

I do like the blind boys. By far the best bible music I've heard has been old blues. Blind Willie Johnson in particular. That gravely voice, and wicked slide packs one hell of a punch. His song, God Moves on the Water, in particular is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Washington Phillips is another unique blues/gospel performer. He's the only dolceola player I'm familiar with. Really haunting and beautiful songs.

And the mix of secular, religious themes in songs w/ a strong focus on the reality of death makes blues music perhaps the most powerful existential musical genre around.

• Members

Darrel Evans does some really good stuff. :)

I have a blues version of Take Up Your Cross by Guardian.:thu:

By far my four fave Christian Albums are Jefferson Street by Three Crosses (great southern feel to it), Unfit for Swine by John Schlitt and Declaration and Speechless by Stephen Curtis Chapman.:cool:

There are some hymns that are really good, but for the most part I would rather rework the songs in a different style as I find that many of the hymns sound like dirges and I would rather Praise God than sing his funeral.:confused:

• Members

Favorite Chrisitan Rock...

If you have iTunes (both available for PCs and MAC, explore the iTunes music store. They have a ton of Christian bands and you can get a preview of their music and read what others have to say, because Day of Fire may not be you cup of tea...

God bless

• Members

These
guys do a pretty good job. It's called Alticor now, BTW.

You seem like you have the kind of attitude that can take you far in life...and I've got a once in a lifetime opportunity for you. It's not a pyramid scheme. If you would like to increase your income drastically, by only working a few hours a week in your spare time...we need to get together and talk. I'd like to tell you all about this powerful organization that has changed my life. Are you familiar with Amway?

Thanks for the link! That music is phenomenal! :thu:

Archived