Absolutely stumped for vocal melody

instink

• Members

Hey guys, I'm trying to write a ballad/love song for my girl and i'm pretty much happy with the music and chord structure etc i've got going at the moment. I've also written out a bunch of lyrics but I'm not a singer and never have been, and for the life of me cannot come up with a vocal melody that sounds anything other than TERRIBLE

I've done some searches and read tips on writing vocal melodies but I just can't do it... I've been lurking on these forums for a while but only just started posting now, can someone tell me if it is an accepted thing to do if I were to post the music and the lyrics i'd like here and ask for some input to the vocal melody?

Would it be too much to ask for someone to try and come up with a melody themself and record it for me? I realise that might be pushing it but I'm hoping someone out there might take sympathy on me and help me write a decent song... thanks guys!

• Members

I tend to write the melody while I'm doing the lyrics. I'm not sure how people do music first, then lyrics/melody. I couldn't do it either, therefore I have no help for you, I'm afraid.

I do the same thing.

instink, how do you know that your current lyrical structure will fit your music or chord structure? Maybe that's why you can't come up with the melody in the first place? (because you are not taking into consideration both metrics).

Post the song and lyrics when you have time.

• Members

You cant just write a guitar lead for the parts of the song and use that as your vocal melody?

Thats the way I always did it. I listened to the part in the song, and would improvise a guitar lead over it, if it was good, I'd use it as my vocal melody over that part. Of course, taht means no meedley meedley crazy parts, but you know that going in.

• Members

Hmm thanks for your help guys... think I might just try scatting soem stuff over what i've got and see what happens. I'v tried the whole guitar lead thing and turning it into a melody but it seems to sound "too" structured... anyway, wish me luck :)

• Members

Hmm thanks for your help guys... think I might just try scatting soem stuff over what i've got and see what happens. I'v tried the whole guitar lead thing and turning it into a melody but it seems to sound "too" structured... anyway, wish me luck
:)

upload it, show us the lyrics. i'll give it a shot if you can't think of anything you like :idk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

sit with a piano or a guitar and play the verse over and over on a boombox while you tinker with the instrument in front of you. I don't do it often, but when I'm stumped I have come up with some unique and sometimes catchy ideas. Also, practice simplicity. If it's a ballad I'm sure the focus should be on the lyrics and not a 5 octave range of tomfoolery.

• Members

I was having the same issue with one of my first songs (recently)....

I did a version what's been suggested. I sat with the playback, and with a MIDI keyboard, noodling until I got something I liked.

And since I was running it through the sequencer, I also had it in standard notation when I was done...

Scott

Archived