Inspired by a Princess...

Aureola

• Members

isn't aureola the surrounding area of the nip?

okay....i'm not a total asshole...i listened to your tune (even though YOU didn't read the sticky at the top of the page ' want more opinions on your music?') ;)

first off, you have a serious functional obsolescence here - the girl's vocal pitch needs some stabilization...correction: ALOT of stabilization. you have a pretty cool tune here in that vein, but the vocals in these tunes (a-la enigma/everything but the girl/portishead) need to be absolutely pegged for me. and she wavers alot. don't get me wrong; the girl has a good voice, but this particular performance is weak, both in its execution and the response it evokes in the listener (well, THIS listener)

the tune is good. i'll give it to you. i don't know how original/innovative it is, since i really don't listen to this type of music very much at all, but by itself, without considering any other music in the genre, it's pretty strong.

as far as the patches you used, i've heard them before (or something very much like them, so i think you did what it is you were trying to do but refer to my 'original/innovative' comment a few lines up)

overall, welcome to HC songwriting forum. it's a good place to grow in. before you post another tune, get your ears and your inputon other people's music, okay?

peace,

g

• Members

isn't aureola the surrounding area of the nip?

And the avatar looks like .... a Georgia O'Keefe flower.

Yeah, pitch at 1:30, 1:50, 2:33 - {censored} it, just tune the whole damn thing. Her tone isn't bad (she's no Tracey Thorne, but in the right ballpark for the genre) but she has serious problems with pitch. If you don't have a pitch correcter already try Antares Auto-Tune, Melodyne or GSnap.

It's a little low energy for me. The only instrument with any motion is the bass - I would bring the levels up on that (maybe eq the low end, or reduce the compressor settings if you are sidechain/ducking the drums). The synth/strings mix is syrupy - you need something with an attack to balance it out.

4:00 - I personally hate modulations ( I raked tamoore over the coals about his modulation last night). As ChickenMonkey stated in another thread (his comment was specifically about guitar solos) structural changes should exist to provide additional musical information - if there is no different timbre/tone which you are reaching by moving the key (eg moving from the vocalists comfort range to a stretch range) I think a modulation is useless.

Welcome to the forum.

• Members

uuuffffff... I think I get the music.

It sounds pretty good, but I believe something is lacking! Some punch... something..

Another thing that the guys have already mentioned, the singing really gets to a point where it bothers me.

I guess I would like it even more if the singing gets a bit corrected... unless this was your intention from the first time (which I don't think it was! ;))

• Members

Hey thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate all the help and you all taking the time to give a listen. I can't agree more on the vocals. I got auto-tune going on the vocal tracks but I don't think I'm using the correct settings, ie attack time, choosy, etc.

Sorry about the sings E1. I tend to overdo em cause I love them so much. I'll have to work on that ;) I know a little goes a long way but just like gravy, I always end up overflowing it.

I'll definitely work on it some more and a big thanks to you all for your input/help!

• Members

That's what happens when you study in Catholic Schools!!! hehehehe :p

BTW, I like the Haven of Dreams song in your website.

I think the singer did a better job on that one and the song is quite captivating.

• Members

Oh, BTW, thanks Eagle for clarifying up the name! Hehe. You're among the few that actually gets it =D

lol. i got it

!. i was kidding . . .

yeah..if you're using antares on this tune, you definitely need to tweak it a bit more than you're doing. check for presets in the program. i'm more attuned to melodyne from some projects i did, so i can't tell you antares 'tips' too well, but there's definitely something that could be helped here.

good luck

• Members

Awesome, I've always wanted to try melodyne but never did. I like the idea of their layout/interface. Unfortunately, autotune doesn't have presents so you got to just tweek around. Hey thanks eagle1 for checking out my other songs. I really enjoyed doing the Haven of Dreams track and I'm glad you like it =) I think the reason why I enjoy writing and recording music so much is because there's always room for improvement and development. It's like a constant learning cycle that always amazes me when I find/learn something new. So a big thanks to you all for giving me another perspective and helping me grow =)

Archived