best band names thread. OT

bluesway

• Members

i know this is better suited for a general forum, but i tried in OJ, and they're basically a bundh of morons when you want to try something more-or-less serious like this. the first post was 'the {censored}s' :rolleyes:

this is purely aesthetic; the music isn't the point...nor does it matter if the band is famous...i'm just curious about band names that you think are cool.

sometimes the name fits really well like 'rage against the machine' and other times, it's totally a weird juxtaposition like 'death cab for cutie.' that doesn't matter at all, though. all that matters is how much you like the name

i have a couple that i've always liked:

dillinger escape plan

citizen cope

cosmic grind (local group from hometown)

dashboard confessional

TV on the radio

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There was (is?) an Atlanta band called Kathleen Turner Overdrive; I never saw them, but I always thought that was an awesome name. The Butthorn 4 was a great punk band from my hometown.

I, of course, favor my own fictional band name - The John Ritter Shorts Review. :thu:

• Members

Gotta go with The Band, The Who, or The The.

Joe Cocker's backup band at one point was called The Grease Band.

Full Tilt Boogie (w/ Janis Joplin) is a pretty hip name, too.

Damn, CM, you beat me to "The The"

Also, I love:

• Members

Soundgarden has always been my favorite band name. Simple, evocative, yet vague enough to apply to any type of band or music.

+100

other names i've always liked though i'm not sure exactly why :confused: :

!!!

Muse

Panic! At The Disco

Nirvana

A Perfect Circle

Battles

Incubus

Death From Above 1979

The Mars Volta

• Members

Not my favorite band of all time, but I do agree that Soundgarden is an AWESOME band name.

on a side note, our band name sucks. I think we picked the most difficult four letter word to pronounce that there possibly is. I have yet to be talking to someone about the band and NOT hear : "uh.. what was the name again?"

• Members

There was (is?) an Atlanta band called
Kathleen Turner Overdrive
; I never saw them, but I always thought that was an awesome name.
The Butthorn 4
was a great punk band from my hometown.

I, of course, favor my own fictional band name -
The John Ritter Shorts Review
:thu:

Katleen Turner Overdrive was one of the names of Jack Black's band in High Fidelity. The movie with John Cusack where he owns the record store. And I agree it's way cool.

I always liked the name of local thrash band around here:

Aggressive Crotch Display

That name pretty much sums up the band.

• Members

Katleen Turner Overdrive
was one of the names of Jack Black's band in High Fidelity. The movie with John Cusack where he owns the record store. And I agree it's way cool.

I always liked the name of local thrash band around here:

Aggressive Crotch Display

That name pretty much sums up the band.

aggressive crotch display. (or dream theater, right? lol) funny.

did anyone get to read "high fidelity?" that was a funny book...it's total male confessional {censored}. very entertaining. the same guy wrote "strip tease" - retarded movie; great book. funny stuff. (his name's nick hornby, i think....too lazy to google) :D

Archived