New Songs Completed - Have a Listen

egelmett

• Members

Here are a couple of songs completed by my new project called The Advisors. I find other musicians to be the best critics - they're brutally honest and offer great contructive critique. So please, if you have any suggestions I welcome your reply.

Life's Symphony: http://home.comcast.net/~gelmetti_mdk/life.mp3

Spell: http://home.comcast.net/~gelmetti_mdk/Spell.mp3

The first song is Life's Symphony. Rod is the singer who created the vocal melodies and lyrics. The music was written and performed by myself.

It was recorded on Cubase SX3. A Line 6 Bass PodXt was used on a Yamaha RBX375 bass, a Line 6 Pod 1.0 as a "preamp" to a Fender Performer 1000 amp used on the heavy crunch guitar parts using both a Gibson Firebird V and Gretsch DuoJet, as well as a Variax 300 on the Tele model for the guitar you hear in the midsection of the song.

Other instrumentation included EZ Drummer for the drums - but were post processed as raw drum recordings would be processed, The Grand for the piano, and a Yamaha CS2X and Roland JV1080 for various synth sounds.

The microphone used for vocal recording was a Rode NT2, and an SM57 on the Fender amp for the heavy crunch guitar part - I needed feedback...I don't know of any way to get feedback through amp modellers - gotta do it the old fashioned way! Both through a Mackie Preamp.

Monitoring is the first Alesis Active Ones released in 1999.

The second song is Spell. Again, music by myself and vocals by my partner Rod.

Another Cubase SX3 recording. The vibraphone part is sampled . The drums are composed of many drum loops as well as a programmed layer from a Yamaha Motif ES6. The synths used were NI Pro3, Roland JV1080, and a Motif ES6.

The bass is a Musicman Stingray played through a Bass Pod XT, and the guitar is a Roland VG88 set to be a hollowbody tuned to C.

The vocal mic was the Rode NT2 and monitors were the Alesis Actives.

I know a mix should sound as good through any playback system but I recommend listening to this song on a full range system. But heck, if you like it on your laptop...so be it!

Thanks for listening!

• Members

"Life's Symphony" -- it's got hooks, the singer is personable, but there's something off about it. Is it too slow maybe? The performances uninspired? The production isn't the best I've heard. Too cluttered sounding and bassy. I think that Yamaha didn't help you there. I am pretty bored with it well before the end, and I didn't make it all the way through, after giving it two chances.

"Spell" -- I like the production better here, and a lot of that is that the Musicman sounds so much better than the Yamaha did. Plenty of hooks, lyrics seem to fit with the tune -- though it has to be said, these are not lyrics we haven't heard before. But once again there is something off about the tune in the energy department. There's a listlessness to both tracks. I can't put my finger on the cause, but I'm going to guess it's that the performances aren't inspired, like the song wasn't exciting you as you played (and sang).

• Members

Spell: super slick updated 70s soul. Very detailed and carefully put together. I was unsure about the vocal at the start but it got better. Impressive and compelling.

Life's Symphony: Again really slick technicolor widescreen production. Very imaginative and meticulously assembled. Interesting to have the percussion bits lurking underneath. Although this is more my style than Spell, I liked it less for some reason. Here I felt the production hides what is just an ok song.

Lots of amazing talent and energy went into these songs. Hats off to you.

(I'm now reading dbd1963's comments and I can see what he means. There is a clinical feeling to everything which keeps it from really grabbing the listener by the shirt collar. These songs are like that guy at work who has every single hair in place - the guy you want to walk up to and muss up his 'do.

My vote would be for more impassioned vocal performances to give the songs that bit of much needed edge.)

• Members

Just listened to life's symphony. I disagree with the above comment that production is masking an otherwise bland song. If anything I think its the opposite. I think the hooks are great and the song has excellent structure, its the production and performances that I feel about bringing down its overall impact. Vocals could be more impassioned and the production could be a little bit less "epic" if that makes any sense.

In all, you've got a great start here and your effort certainly shows talent.

• Members

dbd1963 - Thank you so much for your comments. You may be right about too much bass on Life's Symphony. I'm going to let it sit for a while and come back to in in a month of so to see if it seems too much at that point. Oh, I like your song Falling into You. Nice!

eeglug - Thanks as well. I find the hair analogy interesting. I spent a lot of time "grooming" the song and it obviously shows...but I think it's what this song called for. I've always been one to have things exactly where I want them. So perhaps on future songs, they will be groomed as I wish yet appearing tussled, like my own hair! ;)

Seriously, some songs call for precise arrangements, and others do not. But, in either case they're groomed with the same attention and care regardless the appearance. Don't be surprised if I post some wire recordings!

fifty6vette - you must have one, right? See, you nailed me on the 'epic' statement. That's exactly what I am trying to accomplish. Perhaps I'm not there yet. For me each song has an essence, a character. I try to find it and exploit it...so to speak. I think the character of this song is its biggness (if that's a word). Really, I like the big distorted guitar parts and wanted to get the intensity of everything else right in with it.

For the bands I listen to and enjoy, Radiohead, Supertramp, Jellyfish, for instance, they have big songs. And sometimes, like Radiohead, it becomes a big sonic mush but in a pleasing way. Perhaps I'm not there yet, but that's my reference. Not all songs call for this though. I just haven't gotten to them yet.

Thank you all for your critique. To have you take a listen and actually respond means a lot.

Ed

Archived