Butterfly -mixing and recording critique thanks

• Members

This song was wrote about a man and woman who's live's where change by a drunk driver. The couple is coming by the studio Sat. and don't have any knowledge of the song. Let me know what ya think. The acoustics are a little hollow but none the less.Thanks for the listen and critique. Cool, Peace

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5358936&q=hi

• Members

I think the music is good, but I think the lyrics (where I can hear them) need a lot of work. I like the first two lines, but after that, I don't like it very much at all until the chorus, which has it's good points but also could use some revision. The 2nd verse I don't like at all. I think you could say all these things in a more poetic way.

The production of the music is not very good -- I can't make out the bass and it's overall very muddy. The vocals go flat on high notes too, though they were obviously sung with some passion and that helps to save them a bit. I think the lead guitar trills go along with the title of the song very well.

• Members

I really do appreciate the critique. The mix is a little rough. Having a problem bringing the vocals out. Lyrics have a story that, well it's what they wanted to say. I will pass this on though. Curious of the comment on the lead following the title. Please explain. Thanks again though.

• Members

I think the music is good, but I think the lyrics (where I can hear them) need a lot of work. I like the first two lines, but after that, I don't like it very much at all until the chorus, which has it's good points but also could use some revision. The 2nd verse I don't like at all. I think you could say all these things in a more poetic way.

The production of the music is not very good -- I can't make out the bass and it's overall very muddy. The vocals go flat on high notes too, though they were obviously sung with some passion and that helps to save them a bit. I think the lead guitar trills go along with the title of the song very well.

+1 on all of these points. Perfectly stated.

Sounds like you've got some audible clipping on the lead vocal which is not preferable in this situation. Be a little more conservative when setting levels, especially in digital where one clip can ruin the performance. A hot signal is all well and good until it distorts.

• Members

Nice song. The vocal needs work both as a performance and in the recording. The singer sounds like he's having trouble and maybe isn't suited to this song. Compression/limiting is badly needed on the vocal as it clips at some points and falls below audible at others. I like the butterfly chorus.

• Members

Very helpful for me to do the final on it. It seems that all things considered the song might be worth another look from me. Maybe next time you might even be able to understand the lyrics. Vocals are not my strong suit which probally is very obvious. Trying to pin down one of my drummers and a singer seems a little rough right now, but gotta do what cha gotta do. Peace everyone and thanks again.

Archived