My Gospel Song... Just did a lot of work on it....

tamoore

• Members

So, I wrote this Gospel song last year while I was working on my record. It was one of the first things I recorded on the PC, and I learned a lot from it, but I never finished the mix. I really liked the song a lot, though.

This weekend, after I finished my coverfest submission (A Guitar Jam monthly thing) I had a few hours to re-visit it and remix it. I applied all the studio craft I learned from my album to it, and I think it came out a lot better - however, I didn't do the final mix in the monitors.... (headphones only, since I worked on it a bit this morning at 5:00 AM...:o )

But, I did most of the mix with the monitors yesterday.

So, I present to you my Gospel song - "I Praise You." in its most recent incarnation:

I Praise You - By G33K

Just FYI - Since I wrote this hymn, Hurricanes and natural disasters world wide have been down 300%...... ;)

Trut :o

• Members

I haven't seen you here in ages...where the $#@% have you been?

This one is totally hilarious. I had honestly forgot about your 'attitude' (as shown in your former "FAQ" signature)...so I thought that this one was going to be serious.

Did you base your chord progression on someone else's stuff? I like the chorus. I would've really liked you to go to town with the mythological references - really find some juicy lines about his bastard children or any crazy stuff like that. It could've been even funnier imo.

Your singing is pretty damn good all around. The overall production is great - exactly what one would expect from a standard gospel number.

That was a lot of fun dude. You put a smile on my face this morning. :thu:

• Members

yah, I just woke up an hour ago. For some reason this tune put me in a good mood. Thanks :D

Great mix, excellent vocals, and I love organ, it always makes me smile, so any song with organ in it is a good song.

Do you have a copy of the lyrics? I couldn't make out all of them.

Great tune, a nicely different style than we usually get on these forums. It's good to hear the diversity of the artists here especially, because some days it feels like everyone is indie rock and I want to shoot myself. :p

• Members

I haven't seen you here in ages...where the $#@% have you been?

This one is totally hilarious. I had honestly forgot about your 'attitude' (as shown in your former "FAQ" signature)...so I thought that this one was going to be serious.

Did you base your chord progression on someone else's stuff? I like the chorus. I would've really liked you to go to town with the mythological references - really find some juicy lines about his bastard children or any crazy stuff like that. It could've been even funnier imo.

Your singing is pretty damn good all around. The overall production is great - exactly what one would expect from a standard gospel number.

That was a lot of fun dude. You put a smile on my face this morning.
:thu:

;)

I wrote the melody in the car while driving home from work (3 hour drive) last fall... I matched the melody up to the chords at home that night. I knew I wanted that resolving chord structure in the chorus, so I wrote a melody that I thought would work without knowing what the chords would end up being, and they all seemed to work....

I didn't do any real research, so the mythology references are really simple. I think it gets the point across, and is accessible to anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of the Greek mythos.

Thanks for the compliments. My voice is OK on this one, but I really feel the key change and the extra harmony parts on the last chorus. I double most of the parts with an octave, and spread them across the stereo field, so it gets pretty big.

It was fun to do. Thanks for the listen.

Regarding "where I've been", my personal life has been off the hook with regards to my work and a side business I have. I got to spend one day in the studio over the past six weeks :( Hopefully I'll have more time in a few weeks to get back to writing/recording my album...

Keep an eye on Guitar Jam on the first of June. I recorded a song that will debut over there on that day. I didn't write it, a fellow forumite did, but I think it's one of the best things I've ever recorded....:)

Thanks again! :)

Archived