Vox Ac30CC vs Marshall 1974x....

jnurp

• Members

I may want one of these, talk me into it and why. I have a strat but I am planing on using an LP too so it has to accomodate single and hums and take pedals well too. Mid gain ac/dc'ish to low gain blues...i have a Tim pedal for that little something xtra on the top.

• Members

One vote for the ac30

or even the ac50 head version too.

I use strat//les paul type guitars in an indie band with both clean and nice slight crunch tones part of my arsenal.. and it works superb.

I use an ac50 (now) but did use an ac30 prior and I never felt it lacked in either the cleans to full blown brutalz! (with the right od/distortion pedal)

I can't say anything about that marshall though as I've never tried one out.

• Members

I only know the 18 watt from experience, as i haven't built the AC15 yet(though it is on the to-do list). The Marshall has great rock and roll sounds cranked, and awesome crunchy not-quite-cleans by rolling off the volume. Almost zero "clean" cleans though. I don't use that kind of clean anyhow, so i never missed them.

There is a version of the 18 watt that the DIYers came up with called the 18 Watt Lite IIB, and for me, it is the best choice of the 18 watts. Basically a 1974/1974x has two channels, a normal and a tremolo. The lite IIB is just the normal channel, it has just two knobs: volume and tone. It is smaller, lighter and simpler than the 1974 circuit, and has "the sound" i look for in that style amp.

I am a big fan of that wattkins/marshall design.

-chris

• Members

vox will be better at jangly sparkly sound. totally unique overdrive sound. see: beatles, U2, Queen

marshall will be better at crunchy classic rock sounds. see: ZZ top, early clapton

based on your criteria i think the marshall is more what you're looking for (an 18w style amp will get you much closer to ac/dc than an ac30)

• Members

Hmm...I may be able to help, being that I owned an AC30 for almost 3 years and now run an 18W head. ;) The 18 watter is going to be way more focused in the midrange. As someone said, think early Clapton. The AC30 is more extended on the top and bottom, and seems to come from all around you as opposed to being as in your face as the 18W.

Look at GDS amps if you want a great 18 watter. The Marshall is good, but Graydon builds a hell of an amp for not much more $$.

Archived