What's the smallest amp you've gigged with?

WynnD

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
What is the smallest amp that you've gigged with that wasn't miked?

Mine was a Heathkit TA-25 - 25 watt, solid state with 2-12" speakers. Used that with the house band for around six months. (Three nights a week.)

Unmiked? Probably a 100 watt Carvin on 1/2 power. Mainly because that's the last amp I used where I didn't mic it. Even then I was miking it after a while. Haven't gigged w/o miking since maybe 82-83.

• Members

POS crate with 1 10 inch speaker that i quite literaly found laying at the corner of the stage with some other junk that belonged to the bar.my fender bandmaster reverb died for no apparent reason so i ran my pedals into the crate,slapped a shure in front of it,and thanked the good lord we were only playing in front of 50 drunk coalminers who didnt care about sound quality as long as we knew folsom prison blues for free beer and the door. :facepalm:

• Members

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but back when I was stationed in Korea as a low-paid airman, I gigged with a BOSS 2-speaker combo that was the size of a small cooler. How anyone heard my guitar parts is beyond me.

I should also add that I was wearing a Cinderella T-shirt with the sleeves cut off and brown suede boots. I looked pretty pathetic. :)

• Members

Gallien Krueger 250ML

I used one of those for about four years, gigging around Rumson, Fair Haven, Red Bank, but they are what, 50-65 watts per side, stereo? They're small, but capable of driving a Marshall stack.

The lowest wattage, smallest amp I used gigging without being mic'd is a Princeton Reverb.

• Members

I started this thread to allow others to see that huge amounts of power isn't necessary to gig clubs. There seems to be a 5000 watt PA is required for small club contingent. (I'm sure most of you aren't in that exclusive group.)

My 70 watt leslie peaks out at 108 db at 3 feet. (Omnidirectional) It just won't go louder. Can't keep up with a super reverb running full out. (40 watts that can be aimed at the audience.) My roland is the first keyboard with a good rotary speaker effect and as a result is the first one I've gigged out without hauling the leslies. (Usually unmiked.) I've only had it for 2+ years. That's thirty+ years of gigging at what some people would consider low volume. (Usually playing rock.) People keep suggesting that it can't be done, or if you did do it, no one would dance. (enjoy, listen ... insert unnecessary insult here.) My smallest bass amp was 100 watt combo with a single 15" speaker. I gig occasionally with my 120 watt Hartke Kickback 12". For larger clubs or outside, I've got a 350 watt amp.

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. I'm amazed how small you've worked. (much smaller than I expected.) You guys ROCK!

Archived