Gotta love the Boss Micro BR... Song Scratchpad...

JonJ

• Members

Well I have finally "really" figured out how to use my Boss Micro BR 4-track. The thing looks like an iPod on steroids and is very portable. Only beef is the battery life is poor and the sound quality is middle-of-the-road. Still, for sub-$300, I managed to crank out a song idea end-to-end in around an hour today. We're talking from riff to MP3, with a relatively well composed drum part from pieceing together the loops the BR comes with. Here is the end result... http://www.jamjunky.com/jon/songs/218/

At some point I want to start taking all of my ideas from the Boss and getting them into Pro Tools LE and having my friends chip in with real drums / vocals. But for now, this is a wonderful scratchpad. Anybody else have great luck with something like this?

PS--Do you like my song idea? :cool:

• Members

Sounds pretty good for a $300 handheld. The drums sound serviceable. Is that a real bass or does the Boss have a bass sequencer or arranger, too?

I liked some of the guitar sounds, had a classic AC/DC sort of feel -- but there was some trainwreckin' going on, rhythm-wise, particularly in the section where (I think) the kick drum goes double time... in other sections, too, it kind of felt like the drums and guitars had drifted apart... as though the drums were running a little behind... in a somewhat consistent manner, which makes me wonder if it was a post-recording issue.

Anyhow, seems to be a pretty valuable little tool and I'll be looking forward to hearing a full band recording of the tune one of these days.

:)

• Members

Sounds pretty good for a $300 handheld. The drums sound serviceable. Is that a real bass or does the Boss have a bass sequencer or arranger, too?

I liked some of the guitar sounds, had a classic AC/DC sort of feel -- but there was some trainwreckin' going on, rhythm-wise, particularly in the section where (I think) the kick drum goes double time... in other sections, too, it kind of felt like the drums and guitars had
drifted
apart... as though the drums were running a little
behind...
in a somewhat consistent manner, which makes me wonder if it was a post-recording issue.

Anyhow, seems to be a pretty valuable little tool and I'll be looking forward to hearing a full band recording of the tune one of these days.

:)

Yeah, there was definitely some trainwrecking. That is a good question about whether the mix-down introduces a little latency with the drums? I am not sure and may test it out. I do notice some phasing going on at the end of the song which was completely unintentional. That also indicates some kind of weird delay/waveform issue with the final mix.

About the way I made the song itself... I recorded it one-shot with just a metronome at first since I didn't want the limited drum patterns to shift my idea too much (you know, where you play to match the drums and lose the feel of the idea). So, I then made some efforts to arrange the drums after the fact... it didn't line up perfectly though (yet).

I will do another take on the Micro BR and post my "best" effort with just the BR. Then I'll post one that I'll record with other musicians in Pro Tools or at a studio and let you hear the difference.

That was a real bass BTW. Just a Hamer I have around the house to get my ideas down. Thanks on the AC/DC comparison, that's what I was going for. I think the idea has some potential and I hope to keep working on it. It's exciting to have a little tool like the BR to be able to take the idea even this far... in one hour and with little effort at all.

• Members

By the way--good catch. Something goofed up with the virtual tracks and there was bleed through of old drum parts I had tried (plus crossover of tracks). That is what caused the phased / trainwreck effect (for the mostpart, my playing got a bit out of time too! :p). So I will re-record it on the Micro BR and upload another take to compare.

Jon

Archived