Very drug-induced spacey/psychadelic guitar instrumental...opinions please :-)

Jesse G

• Members

Click the link below, and it'll be the only song one the page(for now)...

I really like this one but I wanna develop this a bit more, and I'd like some good ideas on how I can do that.

Anyway, we got spacey clean riffs slowly building up and a transition into a heavy climax with emotionally charged(I hope so) leads. Let me know what you guys think about it, I want real honest feedback, thanks :-)

http://www.purevolume.com/jessegalloway

• Members

Very nice sound. I really liked the beginning section. I was expecting more once it got to the lead parts though. Song-wise, not playing wise - I thought your playing was fine. Maybe add a new part (like a bridge)?

Neall

• Members

I was thrown off by the transition from the arpeggiated mute string section to the the wild lead part... it just felt flown in and, though I'd have to go back and check, it initially impressed me as coming in out of time. (I could be wrong.) The level of the lead section was also really low, both absolute level wise as well as phsychoacoustically... it just felt like it was supposed to be wild and crazy but the level was pushed down so far that, pyschologically, it almost felt quieter than the "quiet" part.

I think, really, the issue for me was getting from point A to point B... while I did ultimately hear echoes of the arpeggio-mute part in the wild-lead section, I just didn't feel any logical/musical transition from that first section to the second... though coming back to the arpeggio section at the end was not as problematic.

I think you've got the idea of the feel for something pretty cool, here, but I'm not sure this iteration of that idea works all that well for me.

But I could easily imagine a different take on it nailing it. Maybe even a different mix... sometimes a few little adjustments can change things in unexpected ways.

• Members

This is only my second post, and I haven't even posted any of my own stuff yet, so take this with all the grains of salt necessary...

I really like the delay clean guitar thing. But the shred moment, to me, seems to arrive a bit abruptly.

Maybe a "Gilmore" thing on top of the clean guitar before we hit the full on heavy part. It's my guess that those in a similar -state of mind- as the composer would appreciate such a journey ;).

That being said, its always nice to listen to a player who has chops :).

Well done.

-SH

• Members

I was thrown off by the transition from the arpeggiated mute string section to the the wild lead part... it just felt flown in and, though I'd have to go back and check, it initially impressed me as coming in out of time. (I could be wrong.) The level of the lead section was also really low, both absolute level wise as well as phsychoacoustically... it just felt like it was supposed to be wild and crazy but the level was pushed down so far that, pyschologically, it almost felt quieter than the "quiet" part.

I think, really, the issue for me was getting from point A to point B... while I
did
ultimately hear echoes of the arpeggio-mute part in the wild-lead section, I just didn't feel any logical/musical transition from that first section to the second... though coming back to the arpeggio section at the end was not as problematic.

I think you've got the idea of the feel for something pretty cool, here, but I'm not sure this iteration of that idea works all that well for me.

But I could easily imagine a different take on it nailing it. Maybe even a different mix... sometimes a few little adjustments can change things in unexpected ways.

Yah, the transition into the lead part does sound rough. I'm gonna redo it, and speed up the the fast part by 1/4 the original tempo or something. I think that might help it out(?)

• Members

Shredda,

I think its a cool trippy song, if you can smooth the transition to the heavier part it will be a great instrumental.

Maybe instead of writing a bridge for it, you could softly play a distorted lead over the clean-echo rhythm, right before it changes, and use that little lead to change the focus to the new heavy direction

Some nice subtleties in your playing dude, good luck on the piece.

• Members

By the way, what effects do you got going on the lead sound? Chorus and a slight delay?

Thanks man. I was using a Line 6 Spider 2 Head and if I remember correctly, I actually used the chorus and delay from the amp. Then I believe I used some delay from the the recording program(Cubase SE 3) on top of it. Some reverb over the whole mix as well.

Btw, I like your avatar. Petrucci's my favorite guitar player.

• Members

So what about this:

Obviously the transition to the heavy part isn't quite working, and that's because it needs to speed up so I think I'll re-record that part and speed it up by 1/4 or 1/8 of the original tempo. And there needs to be a little more building up throughout the song, so during the clean part I may add some strings and a lead guitar part with volume swells and delay, that builds up into the heavy part.

Archived