New song, Comments welcome

Jxeboy

• Members

Hi, Jake, I ended up hearing "Just Go" first... it's got a lot of strengths and hookiness but there's a bit of a bunch up in the drums in some parts. It's a bit distracting. Still, it's a pretty darn catchy song. I found myself really liking it despite the rhythm issues.

"It's Not About You" doesn't work quite as well for me... for one thing the Autotune is distracting, even oppressive, in the beginning. Once things start going, there are more instruments and other voices, it's less problematic -- but I suspect it's also largely unnecessary unless one is trying for the hollow, robotic sounds of the Britney Spears and Avril Lavignes of this world. Also, the sections don't transition very well, there seem to be some rhythmic timing issues going from one to another and the drums seem out of synch at times with the rest of the music. Still there's a lot going on and a lot to like.

It's clear that you guys have a lot of sophisticated ideas and I can't even begin to comment on how many good or interesting ideas you have: these two songs are brimming with them. And much of it works quite well and all of it's really interesting and worth listening to.

Definitely a band worth watching.

BTW... since it's the songwriting forum, I feel compelled to at least mention your lyrics...but I'm afraid I wasn't able to follow them much (and if you'd like to put up a link or post them, I'd be happy to give them the consideration they no doubt deserve) -- still, if they're as strong as your basic songcraft sensibilities, you should do well. (Well as in writing a bunch of good songs; obviously, in today's music world, no one can predict how you'll do in the biz. ;) )

Good, ambitious stuf!

• Members

i like your guy's sound overall, definitely got something going on. I like the harmony of voices, and the nice mix of instruments, also catchy. Was wondering though blue2blue how can you notice the autotuning?

• Members

just go- great song love the style the drums (especially the snare rolls) did sound bunched up as noted above. It grooves me though nice work!

Beating the dead horse- I for one cannot stand those damn ska-like upbeats in the guitar line, aside from that the vocals we're well done and I liked the rest of the song.

It's not about you - wasn't feeling it at first but at like 135 the song really started to kick in and it compelled me to continue listening

Overall sweet tunes my fav is the first one! I'd buy a demo for that song.

• Members

i like your guy's sound overall, definitely got something going on. I like the harmony of voices, and the nice mix of instruments, also catchy. Was wondering though blue2blue how can you notice the autotuning?

Autotune and its cousins leave a bunch of artifacts on vocals, particularly when used with a heavy hand.

Of course, a lot of people seem to use it as an effect. The famous/infamous "Cher affect" wasn't actually Autotune per se (or wasn't strictly AT, I forget, but certainly pitch and formant shifting was in there), I guess, but it probably brought the consciousness of the family of vocal oriented pitch shifting and formant shifting/manipulation processors and their use as effects (in dance/electronica a lot, where remixers or producers will write a whole new melody line and run it through a vocal-oriented pitch shifter).

I'm no purist -- I'm all for a little quick fix if it can save an otherwise good track... and if you use AT or similar fix-it effects sparingly and only when needed -- instead of just setting the thing on full auto and rolling along -- it can be pretty unnoticeable.

But, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if Jxeboy's band wasn't using it quite intentionally as a kind of effect.

I think, now that a lot of what you hear on the radio has obvious Autotune wrenchmarks, that young bands think of it as a kind of de rigeur effect -- or maybe even how vocals are supposed to sound -- and that's a little scary I guess but, you know, I'm sure there was a time when people were kind of captivated/mystified by that whole reverb thing. ;)

• Members

Interesting song - I didn't quite like it as much as the last one you posted though. I'm not so fond of the vocal style on this - but that's just a matter of taste - I think the song is good. Yes, some of the transitions are little rough - the bass guitar comes in a hair early when it makes its first entry. I like that crazy dance rhythm thing.

• Members

correct me if I'm wrong but i thought auto tuning was just to put the person's vocals on the right pitch? but you're saying its also used as an effect?

Absolutely -- of course, I'm referring to that class of processors (hardware and soft).

But I'm not sure where everyone is drawing the line... sometimes what's painfully obvious to someone who's been exposed to Autotune and other vocal correction processors is apparently "undetectable" to others.

Maybe a lot of these artists and their production teams actually think their heavy use of AT is going unnoticed. Maybe I'm just "sensitized" to the wrenchmarks that AT leaves behind.

For instance, I was utterly fascinated by the YouTube comments on the clip showing Billy Joel's ill-fated AutoTune use on the Star Spangled Banner (at the SuperBowl, I think?) If you didn't see it (don't know if it's still there), essentially, someone mis-set the AT box Joel was using to correct his vocals as he sang the National Anthem and the pitch shot around crazily to the wrong notes, since Joel couldn't get close enough to the right ones to get it to lock in. Drop dead funny. (Because the SSB has some chromatic tones in it, they couldn't just set the AT box to a simple scale, I guess.)

To me -- and just about everyone else who's ever touched a fader -- it was hilariously obvious, a really jaw-dropper.

And a lot of non-musician/non-engineering types apparently had no problem perceiving the droll artifacts, the "robotic" or "synthetic" sound of his voice, and what one writer called "pitch-jumping" (which is pretty much what it was).

But there were SCORES of people indignantly writing that they didn't hear ANYTHING, you guys are all nuts, Billy sounded great just like he always does, yadda yadda.

It was almost as hilarious as the performance.

Anyhow, I hear AT and like processors applied REALLY heavily to a lot of rock, emo, and alt vocals. And it's REALLY obvious to me on a lot of this stuff, so I kind of assume it's obvious to others -- but, clearly, that's not necessarily a reasonable assumption.

Maybe some of these artists don't even know they're being AT'd... now that is an amusing thought. :D

Here's something scary for you: I've caught myself trying to sing like that -- you know, lock your voice down tightly to the pitch but let it crack up and do a lot of weird little vocal color things you wouldn't normally do on purpose?

I didn't realize what I was doing until I found myself thinking... damn this sounds AT'd... and the next time through I just listened to myself as I sang and, sure enough, there I kind of was, droning along, but with all this inflection kind of moving sideways through the timbre of my voice... it was kind of odd but I can sort of do it on demand now, I think, if I put my mind to it. Not sure I want to encourage myself, there, though... :D

• Members

its a pretty good song, well parts of it. the trasition from the acoustic to the electric part was kindof sloppy IMO. I liked the vocal line. But i absolutely hate the synth part, it ruined the song for me. I think that if you would have just left it as a purely acoustic song it would have been better. But even if you wanted to really add some electric part, just the bass then and it would have been a lot better in my opinion.

Also there were too many change ups, i understand the sort of style your going for with all the changeups and stuff, i mean even my band has some songs where there are a lot. But none of the changes really fit the song and kindof lost the original purpose.

So what i guess im trying to say is that i *loved* the acoustic part, kindof liked the added electric part, hated the synth part, and didnt care too much for the end of it. But in the end its your song so dont worry what I say lol.

Archived