Slightly OT: article on 12 common mixing mistakes

blue2blue

• Members

It's just a little far afield of the purpose of the songwriting forum but since the issue comes up on a semi-regular basis here, I thought I'd point fellow songwriters who do their own demos and other home/personal recording toward what appears to be a pretty well-written article in the July Electronic Musician. (Despite its name, EM is more home/computer recording mag than anything.) There's also an article in the same ish on studio makeovers with an eye to laying out your recording set up in a way that's both ergnomic and sonically beneficial.

In a month or two, the article(s) will be available free online (www.emusician.com) but if you catch them on the right promo/subscription offer you can get a subscription for $2 a copy or less. And, of course, it's widely available in music stores and some computer stores.

A teaser -- here are the 12 mistakes (but you'll have to read the article to find out how to fix them):

Boomy or Thin-Sounding Mix

Edgy, Fatiguing Sound

No Sparkle and Bottom

Large Swings in Spectral Balance

Insufficient Detail

Not Enough Punch

Too Much Compression

The Chorus Doesn't Climax

Washy Sound with No Depth

Collapsed Stereo Image

Vocals Consistently Too Loud or Too Low

Vocals Alternately Dip and Stick Out

• Members

Electronic Musician mags cost like $15 down here.

These are the ones that come with the DVDs full of goodies right?

Anyway, I believe I first need to buy some monitors and then follow their

guidelines but I have always liked their articles so this is definitely one to get!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Electronic Musician mags cost like $15 down here.

These are the ones that come with the DVDs full of goodies right?

Anyway, I believe I first need to buy some monitors and then follow their

guidelines but I have always liked their articles so this is definitely one to get!

As I mentioned in my first post, back issues go online (for free) a month or two after publication. [i went back and bolded it to make sure folks see that important point.]

It's a decent article -- but it 's not a $15 article. :D

Wait it out. ;)

• Members

Spammer butt fauke

Pure poetry, man.

I could see it as a beatnik kind of thing, with a wailing atonal sax in the background and a bunch of black clad hipsters lying back snapping their fingers.

Develop that. I think you've got something.

• Members

If you remind me, I sure will!

:D;):D

Since I've (apparently) been accused of spamming (I have NO connection to EM, except maybe my subscription, which, unless I'm mistaken has just lapsed) I feel it may be worth pointing out that there are MANY fine recording mags out there, including but not restricted to EQ, Mix, Sound-on-Sound, Future Music, Recording Magazine and plenty of others. In fact, our esteemed (even legendary :D ) colleague Craig Anderton is editor of EQ!

• Members

Boomy or Thin-Sounding Mix

Edgy, Fatiguing Sound

No Sparkle and Bottom

Large Swings in Spectral Balance

Insufficient Detail

Not Enough Punch

Too Much Compression

The Chorus Doesn't Climax

Washy Sound with No Depth

Collapsed Stereo Image

Vocals Consistently Too Loud or Too Low

Vocals Alternately Dip and Stick Out

I'll check the box that says "Not applicable." In fact if that chorus isn't sailing by the time I'm done with it then the song was pretty damn flat from top to bottom.

• Members

Here is an article for those who don't want to sign up. For those who are worried of spam I can post some more, but you can find lots of posts in the recording forum.

"The Jargon of EQ

Bass (20 Hz

Archived