Album-A-Day?

yermej

• Members

Sounds cool. But with the limit of 20 mins makes it more of half a Album a day.

The advantage is you could write cool concept albums if you previously had a story and some riffs and melodies floating around in your head.

I may actually try this, but it would be more of a half day. I can't help falling a sleep though.:(

The one major advantage is you wold have some kind of goal and complete product is a great motivator. It would be very cool to have a "unplug your internet and make a album day"

Have you seen NaNoWriMo? You write a novel in a month, November is the month. You are allowed to prep with ideas, outlines etc. but you must now write the actual novel (here they use 50,000 words as the minimum.) The idea is to just write, not care of the quality and accomplish the 50,000+ words. This is a empowering thing and will help you make your next novel good. Or at least give you a base to work from.

I tried to make a set of ten loops a day in the drum sequencer so I would have a set of a few hundred matching loops. It lasted a few days.:D I though If I did it every day for 5 or so days a week I would have a CD worth or more of decent loops to build with and also sell the loops. I did get better at programming and it made me think of the time I waste!

So even if you can't make a full album. Their limit is 20 mins, which is like 10 2 min or so songs, which is about how long my practice songs are, you have created the bulk of a 10 songs. Maybe a tweaking, add bridge or solo space in and extend them to 3:30 or some even to 5 mins and you will have a decent sounding album. So a demo album like this could be a great for forcing to get ideas out and recorded. Then you can polish it off!

Even if you only got several songs done in about 12 hours and try it a few times you will learn your way around the recording equipment and try to find time saving features and techniques, all of those clone and looping techniques or just learning how to play it strait through come in handy over recording a full track and having to punch in on the instruments you are crap at. Plus if you ever want to get studio time for a better recording you will already know what the heck to do to get the tracks down efficiently.

• Members

The one major advantage is you wold have some kind of goal and complete product is a great motivator. It would be very cool to have a "unplug your internet and make a album day"

That's the main reason I'm considering it. I have some ideas floating around -- a couple anyway -- and I've tried writing before, but I lack discipline in nearly everything I do and, since songwriting doesn't come easily to me, I rarely get much done.

Actually, I've never even completed a song before. If I go through with this, I would hopefully have something closer to complete that could, at the very least, be a basis for future work -- maybe a track or two would just need rerecording, polishing, etc.

Could make for a fun day though.

Jeremy

• Members

I like the concept. On my good days, I can crank out some rhymes with a decent theme, maybe get a decent melody and progression going, and if I am really inspired, could maybe arrange it good.. mind you that would be a good day and maybe I could get 2 or 3 done.. if I was super inspired.. but 20 songs? If I could use my old notes with some song fragments I would have a chance at the 20 mins thing, but the rules say no ideas prior can be used.

• Members

I like the concept. On my good days, I can crank out some rhymes with a decent theme, maybe get a decent melody and progression going, and if I am really inspired, could maybe arrange it good.. mind you that would be a good day and maybe I could get 2 or 3 done.. if I was super inspired.. but 20 songs? If I could use my old notes with some song fragments I would have a chance at the 20 mins thing, but the rules say no ideas prior can be used.

Yea, with no prior though it wold improve improv skills. You don't have to actually complete it, just go for it. he other thing is looping and piece Jut play the Verse once, chorus once and then a bridge once. The past the pieces it in! So you learn work flow stuff. I would like to do a totally non play back based one. Where you don't play back the bass or drums to play the rythnm guitar or vice versa. Theres Is this little site here. http://www.chordstudio.com/

It uses a bunch of loops that download on the fly. You just click on some loops and put in a chord progression and you end up with music!

I was thinking about trying to do a song with a metronome to also improve timing skills. You just sit down and play to the metronome, mute the track or save it and start the next. You are going totally from memory and imroving most of this. Keep the parts that you think work and delete the rest. You end up with a few loops for the the chorus, verse etc. The magic of the edit menu leads to a full song.

Archived