Songwriting Competitions

songbird0984

• Members

Hi everyone,

I found this forum through a Google search, and I'm looking for opinions on songwriting competitions. More specifically, the 2007 International Songwriting Competition. I received an e-mail from someone who worked there about submitting my songs, and while I first thought it was spam when I looked at their website (what can I say - I'm a sucker) I realized it wasn't. I knew John Lennon was a legitimate contest and I've thought about entering them before, but the ISC has better prizes and (I think) better judges. Have any of you ever entered one of these before? The entry fee isn't too bad, and having my song get into the hands of some of those judges would be really cool.

• Members

I don't play the lottery and I don't enter any "contest" where I have to pay them as well as give them my music...

Now, yes, someone has got to win. And I'm not saying the winners' entries necessarily lack merit.

But you have all these earnest types supplying their song and their typically not insubstantial entry/processing fee and heaven only knows what kind of a listen they get.

The music biz is a big enough crap shoot as it is.

And -- let's face it -- how many of these songwriting contest winners have ever got anywhere?

I'm thinking that, for the overwhelming majority of the contest winners, that that first, second, or other prize is the biggest thing that ever happened to them... not the start of a big, successful songwriting career.

Archived