Considering getting a Twin Reverb 65RI

clambottomjewel

• Members

Alright, well I'm pretty decided that I want a Twin Reverb, but just as a last little measure, I'd like to run what I want through with you guys just so I'm sure I'm getting the right amp.

Checklist (what I want) :

Good clean

Takes effects well

Can get very distorted and fuzzed out (I'm talking Siamese Dream tone)

The only thing I'm wondering about is the kind of fuzz tones I want. Can the Twin do Siamese Dreamy fuzz tones and grungey distortion?

• Members

Alright, well I'm pretty decided that I want a Twin Reverb, but just as a last little measure, I'd like to run what I want through with you guys just so I'm sure I'm getting the right amp.

Checklist (what I want) :

Good clean

Takes effects well

Can get very distorted and fuzzed out (I'm talking Siamese Dream tone)

The only thing I'm wondering about is the kind of fuzz tones I want. Can the Twin do Siamese Dreamy fuzz tones and grungey distortion?

It can if you put a Big Muff pedal in front of it.

• Members

yeah you'd be bleeding by the time you got the thing loud enough to start really overdriving.

The reissues don't even really overdrive that much. When I had one, I brought it outside once and turned it up all the way. It was absolutely terrifyingly loud, but wasn't really distorted much at all, just a bit of breakup. It didn't even break up at all until it was up to about 9. Not that an original blackface Twin drives all that hard, either.

A Twin is a great amp -- simple controls that do what you expect them to do, more headroom than anyone will ever need, great cleans, and takes pedals like nothing else (even {censored}ty Digitech pedals sound good through one). You need pedals for your dirty sounds though.

Archived