Why do guys always tape over the Marshall Logo?

saxxamafone

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i took my logos off because i could, and didn't really feel like advertising my gear at a show. it's small peanuts, for sure.. but i'm not a big fan of supporting GEAR... i'm there to play MUSIC. if anybody asked me what i had, i'd gladly tell them what i was using-- but just because i had a mesa boogie amp doesn't mean that it's somehow part of the identity of the music per se. anybody in the know would've known what i was using anyhow just by looking at it-- its not like you can't tell a marshall by it's build and control panel anyhow.

• Members

i didn't read the whole thread, but if no one has said it yet:
some bands are smart and want endorsement deals for the comped gear, $$, perks, etc.
So they tape logos up until a company comes forward willing to give them a deal. We're not supporting you until you support us, kinda thing.
it works if you get popular enough.

• Members

You and I certainly ain't teachin' these young bucks nothin'. You see the {censored} they're into?!?
:facepalm:

well.. you kinda got a point. but at the same time, i used to think that i needed a 'high gain amp' in the 90's when i wouldn'tve even run a jcm800 full out, i used to think that keith richards had {censored}ty nasal terrible tone, and i'd certainly never met any speakers besides for t75s in most cabinets... i didn't even know cool stuff existed when i was learning my ass from a hole in the ground until i started hanging out with some seriously old codgers.. in their FORTIES even.. :lol:. eventually, i guess you pick it up being around it.. so even if most of these cats want to chuggZOorZ away... sheeit... all i can do is piss in their cheerios and hope they get a taste for urine eventually :lol:

• Members

Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A {censored}ing. Song.

I'm also tired of this "consistent tone" in a song context. I can have many different tones to fit different parts of the song, if only to fit the mood of each part, and it will sound glorious. Textures. Dynamics. SONGS.

/Kirk out

• Members
Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A {censored}ing. Song.

I'm also tired of this "consistent tone" in a song context. I can have many different tones to fit different parts of the song, if only to fit the mood of each part, and it will sound glorious. Textures. Dynamics. SONGS.

/Kirk out

This is my favourite post ever, Imma sig it. :wave:

• Members

I love hearing dudes who normally play high gain chainsaw amps try to play through my plexis. They lose intrest real quick when they find out that it doesnt hide bad playing. When you f*ck up..you're gonna hear it. Makes me feel better about my sound and better about my own playing / skill. Dynamics & textures indeed. A simple roll back of the volume knob..hitting the strings harder or lighter.. Love it when others cant figure that out

• Members

That's because for other brands they just get removed altogether. I did that with a crate 4x12 cab. Keeps the stigmata off your gear! BTW i loved that cab.

Or if you're me you only use stuff you think is good, and that makes you happy just to leave the logo where it is. ;)

• Members
I only see this being done constantly with Marshall amps and cabs

Any reason people keep doing this?

On heads, they always tape over the large marshall logo and tape over the model number/name

I see it occasionally on cabs too

For years and years i keep seeing marshall being covered up

I don't care, but i just want to know if someone can fill me into why guys do this?

:confused:

I get that it's kind of a punk rock thing, but I've seen Richie Sambora and Brian Nutter (Keith Urban's guitarist) tape their Marshall logos. I always thought it was something to do with the network the concert was being broadcast on not having some sort of endorsement/sponsorship contract with Marshall :idk:

Archived