Why do guys always tape over the Marshall Logo?

saxxamafone

• Members

I just think it's {censored}ing dumb......

I agree.

There's nothing wrong with showing what brand of gear you use.

You'll only look like you're endorsing it if you shove it in everyone's face all and/or blabber about it all over the place...

ala Zakk Wylde :o:facepalm:

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unless someone's endorsed by another company or as previously mentioned is part of contract agreement and so has to hide what other gear they're playing through, the above post should pretty much end the thread, IMO.

I thought the artists were the ones who endorsed a product not the other way around. Am I wrong?

• Members

Unless someone's endorsed by another company or as previously mentioned is part of contract agreement and so has to hide what other gear they're playing through, the above post should pretty much end the thread, IMO.

I thought the artists were the ones who endorsed a product not the other way around. Am I wrong?

• Members

I tend to fall for the "embarrassment explanation"... given that we're talking about a company that - aside from selling kitchen equipment like refridgerators - cashes in with MG-10 Signature amps and selling mass-produced $300 practice amps as "Limited Edition / handmade" for $800. :poke:

• Members

On live TV it's all about advertising.

Those Marshall Logos are pretty big and easy to read.

This equals free advertising for Marshall on live TV.

The Badcat logo is readable, but not anywere near as much as the Marshall.

I used to see the same thing done with Carvin amps back in the 80's

They would cover up the "arvin" part and just leave the big swoosh "C".

I find it hard to believe that some one would be embarrased to have a Marshall logo on thier amp.

Even without the logo, the headshell shape/design is undeniable recognized.

Peavey seems to be the #1 Amp that people remove the Logos

• Members

It's a form of protest along with a sort of anti-establishmentarianism sentiment, which, if you were that for real about the message, you just wouldn't buy the damn thing (or be real punk and build your own).

Plus, fugazi doesn't do it.

KYEO_003.jpg

• Members

If they were really anti corporate, why the {censored} aren't they playing cigarbox guitars and no amps. OMGZ I am a bad ass and I'm taping over a logo. Sorry but if you are anti anything and use the {censored}, I don't buy your argument.

That's like the down with Wall Street Mofo types running around with famous brand clothes/shoes, yapping on smart phones and drinking corporate over priced coffee. Not to mention the $300 scarf around their necks.

• Members

Because you grew up in a country where a 3rd rate grunge band did it as well as getting kids to get awards at the ARIAs instead of them as some 'punk rock statment'

It means nothing it's just another money making spin to try to sell records

• Members

Its been going on since the 70's. I remember reading an interview probably 30 years ago, can't remember who it was, but the guy had tried to get an endorsement deal with Marshall, Marshall said no, so he taped over the logo to prevent giving free publicity to Marshall. It had nothing to do with being a part of any movement or scene, it was a straight up {censored} you to Marshall when Marshall wouldn't give give away free amps.

Maybe it meant something else later but I'm pretty sure that's what started it.

• Members

It's a form of protest along with a sort of anti-establishmentarianism sentiment, which, if you were that for real about the message, you just wouldn't buy the damn thing (or be
real
punk and build your own).

Plus, fugazi doesn't do it.

KYEO_003.jpg

I've seen clips where they did use to do it.

• Members

Hmm interesting. When I saw them ('96) they didn't.

Here it is. This is from Instrument. He didn't tape over it, he just removed the logo. Maybe that's different from what is being talked about as far the taping thing is concerned. This song is freaking awesome though by the way.

[video=youtube;apuLs_ayKRM]

• Members

In videos and TV appearances its usually done because there is no endorsement deal in place. Marshall and other companies pay artists to use their products, why advertise a company for free for someone else is getting some payola for the same.

Otherwise, in many music videos and publish photos it'll be covered up because the bands don't have the right to use the licensed trademark in association with their band or music. You may have bought a half dozen Marshall amps, but that doesn't give you the right to feature a Marshall backline in a commercial video. Even though it's your own equipment, you can't feature a Gibson, Marshall, Fender, etc. trademark in your commercial work without clearing it with them already, they protect their endorsees right to feature their brand exclusively.

Why people do it in local small gigs? Silly reasons that they blow out of proportion.

• Members

I know that Kurt Cobain really hated Marshall 1960 cabs but used them because they were easy to obtain. He hated being lumped into the all the '80s hair band craze and the fact that Marshall cabs were frequently seen during that time.

Often times Nirvana shows featured cabs with no logos.

Archived