Why do guys always tape over the Marshall Logo?

saxxamafone

• Members

I only see this being done constantly with Marshall amps and cabs

Any reason people keep doing this?

On heads, they always tape over the large marshall logo and tape over the model number/name

I see it occasionally on cabs too

For years and years i keep seeing marshall being covered up

I don't care, but i just want to know if someone can fill me into why guys do this?

:confused:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's to indicate that no endorsement is given or wanted.

I like mine better :poke:

Seriously, they do it so that people don't think they are endorsed? I don't understand why that should matter. I don't honestly think that Snoop Dogg is endorsed by Ferrari, but I'm sure he wouldn't remove the logos so as to make it abundantly clear.

Just thinking out loud here. It's not that I don't believe you, I just think it's {censored}ing dumb......

• Members

It's part of the punk rock mentality. They want to use good stuff, but they don't want to "sell out". It stems from all the {censored}ty popular bands in the 80's that used Marshall as well and didn't want to be associated with them in any way.

• Members

It's part of the punk rock mentality. They want to use good stuff, but they don't want to "sell out".

bwaaaahaahahahahahahaha...lame.

I could understand if they were under an endorsement deal with another company and they used another brand. Then it would make sense, but to remove the logos as part of a mentality that they don't want to sell out is worse than selling out, it's hypocrisy.

• Members

ahh ok

Seems weird that every band playing around here with marshalls do the same thing. But it's ONLY the marshall brand they do it with.

You don't see any other amp brands being covered

Maybe post #2 wasn't that far off base after all???

• Members

yup, some "famous" guys have endorsement deals and it is "illegal" for them to use they stuff they actually want to in public. and i guess local guys are either being secretive about their toanz!!!11 or they don't want to give the impression they have gear worth stealing.

love,

eor

• Members

bwaaaahaahahahahahahaha...lame.

I could understand if they were under an endorsement deal with another company and they used another brand. Then it would make sense, but to remove the logos as part of a mentality that they don't want to sell out is worse than selling out, it's hypocrisy.

in its context i don't see that its that lame...

when it was popularized(if Sardocasm is correct), the mentality of those bands and genres where to get as far away from what was the 80s...{censored}ing walls of Marshall logos. Not something I would do, but i can see it. It was just a symbol meaning "we are not part of that"

• Members

Wait, which one is it, the "unendorsed" thing or the "hate metal" thing?

It's partly both. All the popular bands used Marshall as well, so they didn't want to be seen as endorsers of anything that the popular bands at the time were doing. Marshall was a corporate symbol and taping it up showed that they weren't hiding what they were using, but instead they desecrated the symbol. So yeah, it's just a punk rock anti-corporate thing.

edit: I was a little slow on the draw, Rear Naked hit the nail on head.

• Members

in its context i don't see that its that lame...

when it was popularized(if Sardocasm is correct), the mentality of those bands and genres where to get as far away from what was the 80s...{censored}ing walls of Marshall logos. Not something I would do, but i can see it. It was just a symbol meaning "we are not part of that"

Why not just remove the logos or turn the amps around...maybe put something over the grill to hide the amp but not dampen the stage sound.

• Members

if it ison tv, they have to tape all the brands

That's not necessarily true. It varies program to program and with the different networks. Like in this clip of Conan O'Brien you can clearly see the Bad Cat logo:

[YOUTUBE]Upv431GMMvg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

its juvenile is what it is. "oh im guna make a statement blahblahblah". People should get over themselves and concentrate on the music.

Unless someone's endorsed by another company or as previously mentioned is part of contract agreement and so has to hide what other gear they're playing through, the above post should pretty much end the thread, IMO.

• Members

Anthrax was doing this in the early 80's...They were taping over the headstocks so kids would not buy a guitar thinking they were getting the same instrument as anthrax played, because they said most peoples gear is custom or modded.They did not want kids to feel like they were getting ripped off.

Archived