Any Peavey Valveking Owners?

Reverend Cheese

• Members

Anyone here use this amp and like it? If so, how long have you been playing?

Do you use it for regular gigging?

Here's the story: I'm having to retire my Seymour Duncan Convertible.

I've had it since 1990 and it just doesn't sound right anymore despite a recent re-tubing (you may remember my post "practice volume Vs Stage volume" that was the amp I referred to in that thread) and the pre-amp tube modules are becoming impossible to find for any reasonable price.

SOOOO - This guy I know has a Peavey Valveking 1X12 that has had the stock speaker replaced with a Celestion classic lead speaker and is selling it for 250.00. I can afford that with a bit left to spare. but I don't want to buy a crap amp. The Peavey Classic fifty's are great, as are the VTM series, so I know they make good stuff. I've heard mixed opinions from really good players I know, and the reviews here on HC are mixed as well.

Anyone who can offer any input on this, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rev. C

• Members
So you started playing when you were two? Right. Sounds like half the reviews here. You play jazz/metal/country/blues/funk/punk too, right?

Any non-sarcastic replies? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

I'm not being sarcastic dude. I play metal basically and run the VK boosted with a modded SD-1 for more dirt. Oh btw, 3 not 2.

• Members

So you started playing when you were two? Right. Sounds like half the reviews here. You play jazz/metal/country/blues/funk/punk too, right?

Any non-sarcastic replies? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

I'm giving guitar lessons to my 7 year old nephew and 4 year old nephew, so starting to play at 3 is plausible. Lots of kids start playing violin at a very young age as well. So STFU n00b.

And the VK isn't that great of an amp. Save your money or buy used.

• Members

It's ok for a temporary amp. Mine will be for sale soon...

This.

Mine is for sale too.

Slap an EQ in the loop and it's better, but still not great. On its own it's horrible. Dark and fuzzy and it becomes really weak and bright if you turn it up. I would've never in a million years bought it if I knew anything about it at the time.

• Members
This.

Mine is for sale too.

Slap an EQ in the loop and it's better, but still not great. On its own it's horrible. Dark and fuzzy and it becomes really weak and bright if you turn it up. I would've never in a million years bought it if I knew anything about it at the time.

what are you selling it for and what are you buying? I have no clue what to ask for mine.

• Members

It's a fine amp. It sounds better than almost any SS amp. It doesn't sound as good as most high-end tube amps.

It's great for the price. My DRRI sounds much better. But you'd expect that.

Pretty much hit it here. Much like putting make-up on an average looking girl, you can swap the tubes, change the speaker(s), and throw an EQ in the loop, and it'll improve. But you're still better off buying used or saving your pennies.

Both the JSX and definitely my DC kill the VK, and I really didn't spend that much on the Mesa used. JSX's, 6505's, Classic 30's all go for reasonable amounts used, depending on the sound you're going for. Mesa DC's, F's as well. Marshall DSL's......Tons of better {censored} out there used.

• Members

If I were to buy a Mesa, the only ones I've heard that I like are the 5:25 and the 5:50. Had a Mk II years ago, and a DC5. I sold both of them. I've never really come across an amp I like as much as my Duncan. I tried a Peavey Classic 50 2X12 and thought it was killer sounding, but will it get to stage volume and stay clean? I play at least two to three nights a week, and can't deal with an amp that can't stay clean at stage volumes. Seems EL-84's might be prone to quick break-up. But I can't afford a new Classic 50 right now. If I can find one used, I might be able to swing it.

Rev. C

• Members

If I were to buy a Mesa, the only ones I've heard that I like are the 5:25 and the 5:50. Had a Mk II years ago, and a DC5. I sold both of them. I've never really come across an amp I like as much as my Duncan. I tried a Peavey Classic 50 2X12 and thought it was killer sounding, but will it get to stage volume and stay clean? I play at least two to three nights a week, and can't deal with an amp that can't stay clean at stage volumes. Seems EL-84's might be prone to quick break-up. But I can't afford a new Classic 50 right now. If I can find one used, I might be able to swing it.

Rev. C

Different strokes then, I guess. Because my DC, to me, sounds better than any Peavey as well as the Express and F-series.

But I'd still take the Express 5:50 over the VK, though there's obviously a price difference. They can be had for under a grand on Evilbay though.

• Members

Different strokes then, I guess

Indeed. That's almost always the case Darrell of Pantera used an amp that I wouldn't use if you paid me to. I've tried that model, they are awful sounding to my ear. When I had my Mesa IIb in the early 90's I had a friend who used one and really loved it. And people still make fun of alk trash about the Classic 50, yet a lot of people really dig them. It is almost always subjective.

Heck, I even tried a Matchless amp once with the intent to buy, but didn't care for it. Yet at the time this was an amp that everyone said was the best thing to come along since the Twin. I prefered a Carvin Nomad that was sitting next to the Matchless. Boy did that provoke some reactions from people in the room.

All I need is an amp with a good solid 'Fender-ish' clean. I have never used an amp for its distortion channel. To this day Peavey hasn't made a distortion tone I like. Even my Duncan, which can be set up to do all sorts of dirty tones, is two channels of Classic and Normal modules. Two channels o' clean!

All this discussion gives me the idea to keep using my convertible, and use my money as a down payment on a Classic 50. If need be, I can order tubes that have a late break-up.

• Members
Not bad for the price especially with upgraded speaker, and I also put some JJs in mine. Had it for about a year then sold it once I had saved up enough money for an upgrade. Buy it with that in mind, as a temp while you save for something better.

Just get a Classic 50 now and you wont have to save. They are $300-350 all day long used and blow away the Valve King. I just played one at lunch and I think the C50 is better sounding.:thu:

Archived