I'm gonna buy a drum machine. Any recommendations?

Li10

• Members

Roland/Boss DR880 is a nice piece for drums and bass and sequencer.

You can buy a keyboard with a drum machine/sequencer/midi built in and edit the midi files as required.

But the DR880 would give you better writing abilities - i.e. program your own beats/rolls etc.

• Members

oh yeah, I want to be able to program my own fills and everything like I was playing a real drum kit. So I can program original arrangements in. Thanks for the tips so far, I'm looking into them :thu:

I looked at the Boss DR-880, and am not liking the look of it. The drum sounds are decent, but I want a no-nonsense drum machine without all that guitar processing crap. No effects patches! I just want one that has good sounds that I can program drum parts of songs on, then play it back through headphones or an amp.

Thanks.

• Members

The Alesis SR16 has been around a long time. '91 or so. Still being sold new for the same price for the last 10 years it seems. I have one, and it's older brother the HR16 and combine them at times.

Just the drums anyway, as you stipulate. All samples can be tuned which I've found handy. You're not gonna bang anyone over the head with the new great drum sound, but either one will do the job. (Depending on the job.)

• Members

I had an SR-16 for years. It had some pretty good sounds. It wasn't super layered but it was okay -- considering the copyright date on the LED was 1989. I used it in a live electronic act for a while and also had it mapped to use as a drum module.

HOPEFULLY, they improved that aspect... to get some semblance of a GM set I had to remap the patches of like 3-1/2 drum kits (or more, it took a while)... it's all pretty hazy. I just remember thinking that there had to be an easier way.

Anyhow, sounds like you're set on a hardware unit, so I won't go on about the beauty of virtual drum machines or even SoundFont drumkits.

• Members

I've got the SR-16 and it's very easy to operate but probably doesn't sound the best. I was always interested in the Boss stuff but I don't need a bass sampler or guitar effects/amp models. I just want an easy to use drum machine that sounds a little better than my Alesis. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I've also been tempted to try out some of the computer software stuff. I'm just afraid that I woudn't be able to figure it out.

• Members

are you married to the idea of hardware? this day and age, if it's just for recording, i'd opt for a soft-synth deal. with whatever recording setup you have, it would be a whole lot more workable.

i use FL Studio as my drum machine when i want 'programming'. it's cool becuase you can sample any sound you like and use it. i've sat down for hOURS and just recorded drum hits in cubase and exported them out individually for use in FL. also, having the software and the visual makes programming fills ALOT MORE CONTROLLABLE than a machine. i can't do a quarter of the 'real sounding fills' i do on a drum machine.

just food for thought. you obviously have a computer and FL isn't very processor intensive unless you're using third party sounds with their own player like garritan or something. (and it's a cheaper way to go...that's always good)

g

• Members

yeah, I don't do recording (yet), well, not decent recording; I record ideas with a USB microphone and audacity. Yeah, quality is crap, but I write down what I play on paper - the recording is so I know the timing/tempo.

So.... hardware would be preferable... I can't be bothered to buy Cubase or Protools. Well I don't have the money really. Besides, a drum machine would be better to take round band members' houses and jam/write songs with, I'm thinking....

thanks for the input so far :thu: . I'm seriously looking at buying the BOSS DR-770 - it does what I want it to, it has good reviews, but the problem is I don't know where to find it and how much it costs. True, I've only searched two online stores, but one of them is musician's friend, and they're the best stocked shop I've ever seen. But I haven't seen many music shops :cry::mad:. They're non existent where I live.

Archived