Logic behind angled vs. straight cabs

mmmiddle

• Members

I don't get why you'd want a straight vs. angled cab. Even more confusing is this. I like angled cabs because the top two speakers angle up towards you, so if you're standing right in front of it, you have some speakers pointing at your head where your ears are. That's what I always thought was the reasoning behind an angled cab. OK, but in a full stack, you put an angled cab on top. Why? Are you trying to point your speakers up towards God? Seems like you'd want them angled pointing down when they're on top a full stack.

Just something random I was thinking about.

I've seen bands use 2 angled cabs in a full stack. They stack it on its side and point the angled side towards the drums with the straight side towards the crowd. In some of the venues around town with less than stellar monitors, that seems to help.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen bands use 2 angled cabs in a full stack. They stack it on its side and point the angled side towards the drums with the straight side towards the crowd. In some of the venues around town with less than stellar monitors, that seems to help.

Good idea! better yet! Get an angled cab and a straight 212 on top..... or get two 412's, one angled, one straight, and get two 212's on top of that, and sit them side by side running two 100watt heads in stereo like they were 50 watters: cranked the eff up!......thats the right answer....

-Curtis

• Members

That's what I was trying to get across, in my own cryptic, ambiguous way.

• Members

Yep...the sloped cab pointing upward because most concert arenas/halls

are multi-level. It's never really been about the player. My personal

preference is for a straight cab. I NEVER liked speakers pointed at my ears.

• Members

Are you dialing them in properly?

• Members

My preference has always been straight or angled laying on its side. And I want it pointed somewhat at my ears. You'd rather not hear the harsh tone you are projecting to the audience?

"my tone sounds great when I can't really hear the highs that everyone else hears"

Archived