ENGL Screamer or Fireball

icanshred

• Members

Ive been looking at getting a new amp and cant decide between an ENGL Screamer or Fireball head. (I dont like the Screamer combo as its open backed and i need that punchy bass).

I'm looking for a good high gain sound that will do old Metallica but with good cleans, well... useable but im more bothered about the gain.

I also would like to be able to get a good sound for blues to classic rock to old ACDCish crunch.

From what ive read / heard of these amps the fireball is great for high gain and has nice cleans but not much in between. And the screamer is much more versatile althought doesnt have as heavy distortion.

I was wondering if anyone owns either of these amps could give me any advice. I considered using an overdrive pedal to either boost the Fireballs cleans into a bluesy crunch or boost the Screamers distortion into the levels i want. Also how well do these amps respond to the guitars volume control?

I know it would be best to try them myself but i have no way of doing so so dont waste your time tellign me.

Also if you can recommend any other similar amps would be helpfull (I live in UK so ENGLs are well priced but a Mesa would be out of the question)

Thanks

• Members

I have the screamer combo. Beware, it's a very, very bright sounding amp. It has the gain for Metallica but the voicing isn't ideal. It has very good cleans though and does everything from blues to hard rock either very well or at the very least, competently.

If you're playing metal though, the Fireball would eat it up and {censored} it out.

+1 on the Blackmore btw, definitely a happy medium between the two.

• Members

I've owned both. Forget the Fireball for the blues, classic rock, and AC/DC. The Screamer is a nice amp, but the Blackmore is what you need if you don't mind the extra $$$.

+1 get a used Blackmore if you can find one.

• Members

yeah i was having to go used anyway.

thanks for the quick responses

so the Screamer looks to be winning but i dont like the sound of it being a bright amp.

just how bad is it? could it be fixed by putting in some darker tubes like JJ's or choice of speaker cab??

as for the blues / classic rock id never need it in a live situation i just like to play around with it- can the fireball not even get anythin useable?

how bout the thunder?

thanks for the help?

• Members

The Fireball can get a a lot more versatile if you put a 12AT7 in the second preamp valve slot, rather than a 12AX7. It will decrease the gain to more manageable levels, so when you want to play metal you can crank it to 3 o'clock, rather than 9 o'clock.

By the way, on the clean channel, with the gain at 9 o'clock & stock valves, the Fireball does a FANTASTIC clean tone :love: .

And it takes effects really well, especially effect pedals.

Or, try testing out the Screamer with a 4x12 cab loaded with Eminence Swamp Thangs 12" speakers. Their low thumpy sound will help tame the brightness of the Screamer.

• Members

The Fireball can get a a lot more versatile if you put a 12AT7 in the second preamp valve slot, rather than a 12AX7. It will decrease the gain to more manageable levels, so when you want to play metal you can crank it to 3 o'clock, rather than 9 o'clock.

By the way, on the clean channel, with the gain at 9 o'clock & stock valves, the Fireball does a FANTASTIC clean tone
:love:

Or, try testing out the Screamer with a 4x12 cab loaded with Eminence Swamp Thangs 12" speakers. Their low thumpy sound will help tame the brightness of the Screamer.

+1 to most of this. I run my Fireball on EL34's instead of the stock 6l6's which changes the voicing slightly....it's a little crunchier now instead of full on thump (it still has the thump tho). I run the gain really low because is use it to play covers (about9 o'clock) and i run a g-major in the loop. It does take effects really well - except most boosts.

I think for what you are looking to play - don;'t get the fireball. It's really not meant to be anything except a metal monster. It's a very tight/compressed sound.

It can get some crunch tones - but it takes some tweaking and also requires good use of guitar volume pots.

Blackmore....FTW!

Or just grab a used marshall. I dont mind the JCM900's - altho they are HATED here. My mate has one that sounds killer tho. It's been modded tho.

• Members

By the way, on the clean channel, with the gain at 9 o'clock & stock valves, the Fireball does a FANTASTIC clean tone
:love:

I just got the Fireball, and this post is invaluable. Thanks. It's a beast, and having more wiggle room on the gain is something I'm after. Could you please tell me where I can find the 12AT7?

• Members

Fireball is not very dynamic at all. Very compressed. The gain is insanity on it, but even with the guitar volume rolled down, there is a ton of gain....doesnt really do the bluesy crunch thing at all...in any way. The clean channel is nice, glassy and articulate...and you can get a clean channel while still having the gain high enough to bring teh brootz. But for anything other than metal, i would DEFINITELY pass on a fireball.

Fantastic amp for metal. Thing breathes metal. But for anything else, look elsewhere

• Members

^^ I'd definitely agree with the above. I bought it for metal and for the cleans, and it's excellent at both. With really nothing else in between, but that's why I have my Marshall.

BTW, love your Fireball clip -- it was one of the reasons why I went this route, and I have zero regrets.

• Members

^^ I'd definitely agree with the above. I bought it for metal and for the cleans, and it's excellent at both. With really nothing else in between, but that's why I have my Marshall.

BTW, love your Fireball clip -- it was one of the reasons why I went this route, and I have zero regrets.

hey thanks man! it really is a great amp. Leads seem to just fly out of the thing like no other amp i've tried (even the VHT :eek:). Totally would have kept it if i was still gigging :cry:

• Members

Im going to disagree with you naysayers of the fireball doing AC/DC-ish tones.

Take the gain put it on 8 to 10 while using the clean channel. I dare say the screamer still might be better suited for you but the fireball can do what you want very easily.

Archived