Critique my singing

PaulGuterl

• Members

Well ... its not beautiful, thats for sure !

But - nonetheless, if you could hit the tunes and got the phrasing just a little right, you should be good to go - you've got the right idea.

Pay for some lessons -practice and record for a couple of months - pay for more lessons.

I bet there's some singers in here being able to give you more and better advice.

• Members

This isn't really the vocal forum -- but there is no vocal forum (unless they snuck one in behind my back, which certainly could happen; the mods are always the last to know! :D ) And singing is a challenge that confronts many of us songwriters, so...

Anyhow... I'm listening to "Smoking Too Long." Your singing is not slick. ;)

Your vocals remind me a little of very early Jonathan Richman, circa the Heartbreakers. There's a lot of character -- and that's a good thing.

You need to work on pitch (and timing, too, in your self-accompaniment) as well as mic technique (lots of plosives as your breath goes straight into the mic -- try singing with your mouth pointing off to the side or with the mic angled down toward your upper lip from slightly above).

I say, keep on singing, listen to your recordings, try different approaches and see what works. If you keep working at it, it will definitely get better. I couldn't carry a tune when I started and now... I can almost carry a tune.

:D

• Members

i don't hate it. i think b2b is on to something with the character comment. i dig. your pitch isn't necessarily evil and in need of exorcism, but it can use a little work. i think your big issue is that you're not with the rhythm....kind of not playing your voice as an instrument right now.

the alkaline trio worshiper is on to something, too. ;) "you're not singing a whole lot".

i would just sing more. learn some exercises and sing, sing, sing. i see something cool here.

• Members

There are some good advice here already, I'd just like to say that I enjoyed it. Don't slick up for this song. It kind of works, in as much as what is off technically ties in nicely with the lyrics: "maybe I've been smoking too long" - yeah maybe you have... No, no, no, I mean that in a good way, you understand! Rock on, dude. :thu:

Archived