Unused Lyrics?? What Shall I do?

MinYoan

• Members

:idea: Hello Everybody,

I am looking for guidance on a couple notebooks full of lyrics. This may sound silly but it appears I almost had to write all the music content that I've absorbed through the 10 + years of listening to my favorite artists, so I wrote around 50-60 songs and they are almost.... (Whats the Word).. Not Mine!! But I wrote them, and I thought I was doing good but it turned out to be like a report of the music I've always listened to, and I thought about just giving them away to a label, or artist.. but I'd rather re-write them and publish a book of around 100 songs.. then try and earn a profit off of them by selling the book to a Large label.. then their artists under their label could read through the lyrics and get ideas for their next album. I really don't know how popular this type of process is, but I'd imagine someone would be interested in them.. And on the second thought, how safe is it to actually give someone else my own lyrical soundtrack to all my thoughts?? I really just don't know what to do with them but I should really re-write them, and store them away in a safe place for the future. Heck, when I am 90 years old I can dust the notebook off and show all my grandkids.. It's just difficult to see them sit there.. they look lonely... Inky, and I'd love to sell them to put a big ol Ring on my Pinky!!

The first notebook I wrote must be the ugliest thing I have ever read or seen. It reads more like a 3rd grade essay that makes no sense. I didn't have any soundtrack to it so just wrote until I felt the next body of words was due. I taught myself a few tuff lessons, and I plan on taking a communication/writing course at the local college next spring to perfect my writing skills.

If I gave them lyrics away I could probably kiss my identity goodbye...

How popular is books of songs that sell?? How much do they go for?? Any feedback would be just Jolly!

I'm having fantasies of the Ninja Turltle epic Battle where I just feed all the lyrics to the Shredder!!! :mad::poke:

• Members

Well... although it's hard to write good songs... it can be even harder to sell them.

I know there are others here in the forum who've gone down that road and I'll defer to them on particulars, here.

There are a few things going on -- but probably the most significant is that the competition is very tough; there are a lot of songwriters shopping their work and not that many opportunities to sell it, particularly outside the mainstream and Nashville pop (country) markets -- and those markets, particularly Nashville, are very hard to crack.

In Nashville, there is a quite formalized system and interbred system. It's all about connections. Well, really, the whole music biz is about connections, networks of people familiar with each other and their work.

The sad reality is that -- as big as the pop music selling business is -- the business of selling dreams to would be musicians, producers, engineers, and songwriters is also huge -- and largely is a black hole for "day job" money (and inheritances, trust funds, and drug and contraband profits).

See all those music instrument/recording gear mega-stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash?

They are -- overwhelmingly -- not selling instruments and recording gear to people who will make any money from the music they make and record. You could walk into a crowded Guitar Center with an Uzi (please, please don't) and unload a couple clips and probably not hit a single musician making money from actual music (as opposed to making money off people with dreams, as the music retailers, recording studios, engineers, producers, lawyers, etc, who suck money out of dreamer's pockets as though they were super vaccuum cleaners do).

Now -- you might say that blue2blue is just an embittered old loser -- and while that may be true in some respects :D -- it is not from me beating my own creative heart against the stone walls of the music citadel.

Starting out as an engineer and producer, I saw the dreams of others continually manipulated and exploited and I finally got out of the business, in part, because I didn't want to be one of those taking the money of the naive or self-deluded. (And believe me, I tried to walk the line between providing services people wanted and educating them to the realities of the business. But dreams are one of the few things in this world that seem to be bullet-proof.)

Anyhow -- my take on music and writing is to do it for its own sake.

If you pursue music because you love music or you write because you have to write to be a whole, fulfilled person, you're not going to A) setting yourself up for disillusionment and discouragement and B) you're not going to be as easy to manipulate by those who make a living off other folks' dreams and C) you'll be nurturing skills that may reward you -- personally, if not necessarily financially -- for the rest of your life.

I'm not saying don't pursue your dreams or don't try to market your songs... but get your heart and head in order first and then you'll be in a lot better position to deal with the inevitable disappointments and struggles, better able to fight off the manipulations of the vampiric parasites who make up much of the music biz, and -- if you work hard, sell yourself (because publishers aren't so much interested in what you have done but in what you will continue to do in the future, as a rule), target a market where there's an actual chance to get in (indie and emo bands, for example, as a rule do not buy other people's songs) -- and if you're very lucky and very dedicated and in the right place at the right time and you have some success, you'll be in a much better position to keep your wits about you and keep focused on what's real and what is just leverage points for manipulators.

PS... I get the impression you've mostly been writing lyrics. Lyrics are clearly an important part of pop songs -- but lyrics by themselves are very, very seldom purchased and it is, I believe, highly unsual for lyricists on their own to get publishing deals. (Maybe just about never, is what I'm thinking.) Anyhow, I'm going to leave the particulars to those who've actually dealt with marketing their work and dealing with publishers.

PPS... whatever you do -- don't throw away your writing -- and do take some classes or get in a writer's workshop or other group and don't be afraid to participate here in this forum. Unlike the folks in Nashville, we'll usually read a set of bare lyrics and try to imagine what they'd sound like with music. Don't feel like you don't have anything to contribue, either. You've been writing and thinking about lyrics, you've got ears and eyes and you can be a valuable help to others in getting much needed feedback, no matter what perspective you're coming from.

PPPS... Good luck to you, whatever route you decide to pursue -- and keep writing!!!

Archived