Bluer Than This

Johnny-Boy

• Members

Hi Everyone!

I'm a newcomer to this site, but an old-timer in songwriting. I write in many different styles. My good friend Cal has been my co-writer for the last three years. We have a catalog of 150 songs. We need to get a life.

Here's a lounge song sung by Cal's wife.

Best, John:cool:

"Bluer Than This"

http://www.artistcollaboration.com/~johnny-boy/bluer.mp3

Lyrics: Cal Francis DiFalco

Music: John Lawrence Schick

Vocal: Teresa

• Members

Some nasty clipping in the left stereo channel around :05. Starts an otherwise good sounding recording off on entirely the wrong foot. Not completely my style, but I enjoyed it. Teresa has a lovely voice and does a nice job with the vocal phrasing. The piano is tastefully played and the chords support the melody while adding interesting harmonies.

Maybe this is because I don't spend a lot of time listening to torchy/loungy duets (or maybe this is the reason I don't spend a lot of time listening to torchy duets), but nothing about this really stands out for me. Everything has been buffed down to a modest, consistent shine without leaving any hard edges or abrasive textures. Given my druthers I will listen to Chet Baker singing "Almost Blue" before I listen to the Diana Krall version.

• Members

Ah... I like this a lot. (Aside from the crackly bit of distortion around where rsadasiv mentions, anyhow. ;) )

Wrapping a song so tightly around a rhyme can have its dangers and you might be flirting with some of them a little but I think it works very nicely here. I've got a soft spot for torch songs and plays on the blue/bluer/bluest thing... (OK... I can't think of any songs that use "bluest" and I kind of hope I don't run into any soon... :D ... but you know.)

I hope you'll become a regular here... we can always use more experience and perspective here and just having folks around who've been writing a while can really help out those who are just starting out.

This can be an excellent place to "give back" some of the help that us verteranos may have received in our own tyro days. Not to mention that it can be a great place to get helpful insights into our own works in progress.

Welcome!

• Members

Thanks Blue2Blue (or Bluer2Bluest) and Rsadasiv for listening and for your comments. I appreciate them.

We'll be fixing that clipping. Until then you can listen to this one:

http://www.artistcollaboration.com/~johnny-boy/Bluer%20(Cut%20Intro).mp3

I can see this is going to be a colorful forum. I'll look forward in visiting often.

Best, John

Archived