Tube combo amp equiv. to replace Line 6 Flextone III XL 2x12

Kuroyume

• Members

Since I already have a Line 6 POD XTLive pedal board and don't get much use out of the similar features of the Flextone (and I was chided for not having a tube amp), what do you all recommend as an 'equivalent' (in power, thump, range, 2x12 combo) full tube (pre and power) to replace the Flextone?

Something not in the astronomical price range please, though I'd sell the Flextone just before purchasing the new amp so as to have the extra funds directly assist. The Flextone is 150W with 2 12" Celestion speakers so it can shake, rattle, and roll. Don't want too warm and fuzzy - thus the range needs to be there.

Thanks,

Robert

• Members

A forum member by the name The Anomaly has a Peavey Classic 50 212 for sale for $350 + shipping. Great amp. All tube, great cleans and enough gain for hard rock. Takes pedals really well too.

Just thought I'd put a bug in your ear.

:wave:

• Members

Plenty out there.

That's why I'm asking. :) There are so many from which to choose - I'm not one for getting the first one I see and then getting another and another. Research, try (if possible), and get the best bang for the buck (as it were) for duration of use.

So, I'll check these out online and will have to boogie on over to my local GC (unfortunately the only choice) to check out whatever is available there.

Thanks!

• Members

sell both flextone and pod and get a spider valve?

I want to keep the POD. The reason that it was purchased was for easy access to banked presets (I play or am learning tons of covers) - something not as easily done with the FBV Shortboard (which I also still own). Plus, I don't like the darn 'clicky' push buttons on the FBV - stomp pedals are better imo.

The Spider Valve looks great. I'll need to get my claws on one for trying out. That HD100 head with 1/2 stack looks awesome (and 100W!) but my wallet is crying ($1425!). That's more than the Flextone, POD, and FBV combined. And the 212 is still a bit tough at $830. Will it get the volume of the Flextone (40W tube vs. 150W solid state)?

Thanks!

• Members

The Flextone III XL is a great solid-state amp but you can still hear that digital modeling here and there - though much less than others that I've tried (like the G-DEC). You're talking to a guy who three times dropped wireless systems because the sound degradation was noticeable enough (to me anyway). As much as I hate cords, I'm sticking with them for now.

The good thing about the Spider Valve is it is almost like upgrading the Flextone solid-state to a 'Flextone' tube amp. I'm going to try it out, of course. :)

Thanks!

• Members

Hey Kuroyume - You can always check out what Drum City has. I dunno that they have much lower end stuff (read that as "most of their stuff is pretty expensive"), but they do have the Orange Tiny Terror. Worse comes to worse, the GC on Colorado has a decent amount of used combos (I think I saw a used DSL combo in there a few weeks ago).

Watch out for Music Go Round tho... They've got some stuff that flat out doesn't work, or has some other problem with it.

Good luck.

• Members

I used to have the same amp as you when I moved into the dorms, and when I took it to jams, it would always fart out on me. It was a decent bedroom amp but having a Pod or something is way better.

If you are keeping your Pod XTL, I wouldn't get another Line 6 amp. Depending on your budget, I'd get something rather clean in a 1x12 or 2x12 configuration. Look into used Fender Deluxes, AC30s, and Mesa F-50 combos.

• Members

Hey Kuroyume - You can always check out what Drum City has. I dunno that they have much lower end stuff (read that as "most of their stuff is pretty expensive"), but they do have the Orange Tiny Terror. Worse comes to worse, the GC on Colorado has a decent amount of used combos (I think I saw a used DSL combo in there a few weeks ago).

Watch out for Music Go Round tho... They've got some stuff that flat out doesn't work, or has some other problem with it.

Good luck.

Agreed on Music Go Round. Well, I have had two good experiences there nonetheless. The first is that I got this 'el cheapo' Galveston 7-string electric for like $100. It is actually a great guitar and the feel/sound still amazed me - that was a steal! ;) The second was when hard times hit and dumped a bunch of guitar equipment (unfortunately). They gave me an amazing deal on my Steve Vai Ibanez JEM777 that was way above their usual payouts. Now I just use Craigslist. :)

I tried out a couple of tube combo amps at the Englewood GC and I'm in love with the Spider Valve - the Peavey VYPYR didn't impress me (I haven't owned a Peavey since the early 80's). Okay, this isn't a Mesa Boogie or Marshall but then the costs on those dropped me to the floor (Mesa head for $1500! and so forth). I don't play out professionally at this time so that would be way overboard. I had a Marshall TSL122 in the past and something about it just didn't work for me. Plus, I had to replace the tubes shortly after purchase which hurt. And the Marshall MG100RCD 100W head with 1/2 stack really disappointed me big time. My feeling is that you get great stuff from Marshall at the higher ends but their lower end stuff is crap - it has never satisfied me enough to go bonkers. Maybe I just need a wall of JCM800's. :thu:

For $830, the Spider Valve 212 was definitely an upgrade from the Flextone III XL. Time to visit craigslist.

• 12 years later...
  • Members

I’ve owned many tube and solid state amps. My last purchase was a Libe6 Flextone III XL as amp. With 150 watts this amp is perfect. I’ve owned it for well over 10 years and it’s perfect for gigging. The volume is awesome and cuts through the band mix;and I’ve played with heavy drummers. The amp can also be miked if you’re playing auditoriums or arenas. I love ❤️ it and I’m no novice.

Archived