Attempt at on old tymey song

perry78

• Members

My friend let me borrow some old music that he loves so I wrote, performed and produced this love song for him. What do you guys think? Excuse the occasional intonational blemish and lack edits or mixing.

I thought you guys would appreciate this here.

• Members

I'm not an expert on songs like this but omg it sounds authentic. It's almost Christmas in my mind. If someone played to me without the introduction you gave I would have guessed it was an original oldie-goldie. Nice work!

There are some issues with the string harmony and sound and with one of the voices in the choir being off-key, but it is minor issues. I like the mood and the melody, and it's been a long time since I heard a brand new track of this kind.

• Members

My friend let me borrow some old music that he loves so I wrote, performed and produced
love song for him. What do you guys think? Excuse the occasional intonational blemish and lack edits or mixing.

I thought you guys would appreciate this here.

I thought it was f'kin fantastic!

to me music is all about setting a mood and telling a story or transporting one to another place.

This song very much had me in about 1965 in the back seat of my Parents 1959 Borg Worg listening to the am radio on the way back from Philomath Oregon heading home to Salem.. *L* True enough!

Wonderful!

• Members

I think you've almost got it... I think a little mix massaging would go a long way to getting you there.

I'd bring the vocals a little more forward early on and maybe de-emphasize the reverb a little (it has a slightly digital sort of feel that doesn't fit the old timey approach -- or maybe just a different 'verb. Maybe try a "spring" emulation from a convolution reverb [a dicey call, they don't sound like springs often but they do sound interesting]).

The somewhat buried guitar is about right.

The strings are way too loud and their prominence highlights the places where the string illusion falls down. Maybe another string voice -- or maybe layer a few for a little more variation, texture, and maybe disguise each sample voice's own peculiar divergences from the desired.

Almost there... I enjoyed it!

• Members

Max:

That's great! I am happy to have brought that feeling back to you. Seriously.

Thanks guys for the replies so far.

Yeah there are some issues of intonation but I just worked out the part writing and did one take each. The strings are too loud and I could do some mixing here and there to dovetail sections better but I don't care. I think that I captured something, even if only for me with this version and I don't want to tarnish that. I started the song from complete scratch at 5pm on Saturday and had the version I have now produced by 7:30pm same day. Faster than usual for me.

To record the guitar, lead vocal and three part harmony I just plugged a shure 58 straight into a notebook (no interface) and went. The strings are just from Garagband stock. "Hollywood Strings" there're called. I used my notebook keyboard to type in the pitches.

I'm into this project lately where I am trying to write would've been hit songs from the 60's. I've got tons like the Beatles and Kinks and Zombies but this is the first I have done like this. I am trying to learn about pop songwrting. I have a long way to go before I can write modern hits, which I am still trying. I probably write seriously 100 songs a week. Maybe one or two of them is worth keeping and producing.

Thanks guys

• Members

I like it. I feel that the vocal needs more projection - nothing over the top, but just more oomph. The song construction is a good tribute to that style. I personally would schmaltz it up a little more, the way the Beatles did "Good Night".

Archived