New demo--Give it a Try

Chicken Monkey

• Members

This is a song I wrote with a former band-mate--he brought in the main chord progression, I did the lyrics and the bridge. It's the first tune on soundclick, "Give It a Try." It's just a demo for my band to learn the tune, so production leaves a lot to be desired. Thoughts and criticisms are welcome.

• Members

Holy doo-wop kazoos Batman!

My personal catch phrase for this situation is "I'll try anything twice, then I start to catch on".

I think there should be a third verse where the narrator goes home with the munchies, sets up a huge plate of food, and when his mother asks him what he is doing he tells her that she was right, "I gave it a try, and now I do like it". If you establish a specific food in the first verse (broccoli?) you can get the callback/payoff in the third verse as he wolfs it down.

• Members

Fun song! It seems to fit together in all the right ways. In my mind, I could easily hear the electric bass replaced by a standup, the DI guitar with an archtop through an old, warm sounding amp, and the kazoo (possibly) replaced by a Sugarcane Harris style fiddle.

I have no complaints!

• Members

Fun song! It seems to fit together in all the right ways. In my mind, I could easily hear the electric bass replaced by a standup, the DI guitar with an archtop through an old, warm sounding amp, and the kazoo (possibly) replaced by a Sugarcane Harris style fiddle.

I have no complaints!

Actually, when I bring this in to the band, we'll have a standup bass and a fiddle, but I'll probably keep some kazoo in there.

rsadasiv, I don't think I can write that last verse--I think I've already got a bit of a "twist" going from the bridge to the final chorus. Your version would make for a far more linear story, though.

Archived