Songwriting Challenge 4 - Song in the Style of - THE REVEAL

rsadasiv

• Members

So are we supposed to guess who's style y'all are copping?

RSadasiv's immediately made me think Sly and the Family Stone. I had more trouble with the other 2. If I had to guess, Rocknote was either coppin' Shawn Mullins or the Eagles with that sick slide riff. Maybe Sonic Youth for Macreasto?

Great job on all 3!

• Members

I'm really enjoying "Turn My Night to Day"... I doubt this is in the style of Lou Reed but that's somehow who it made me think of. I love the slide... that's where the notes live... not on those damn averaged out frets! ;)

"Never Gonna Get That Way Again"... damn... New York City? Must be Lou Reed again! With James Brown on ad libs. Back up guess: the bastard love child of Donald Fagen and Prince (a relationship which would explain so very much). Also lovin' it.

"Leaving" -- The intro has me thinkin' it's on the tip of my tongue... I'm getting kind of a Radiohead vibe... was that lyric really "Tell my mom I love him so"? Uh oh... can that RH... some serious Bowie damage singing... I think I've actually got this one. Yeah, Bowie. I mean... for sure -- Bowie. Heroes era Bowie. No mistaking the vocal mannerisms, the general approach to synths and... oh my... the guitar. I think we have a winner.

Of course, my pop culture reference points since 1986 are pretty much restricted to Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Trent Reznor, Portishead, the Dixie Chicks, Mogwai, Modest Mouse, and Black Eyed Peas but... :D

• Members

hehe - actually it's supposed to be: "Tell my son I love him so" But I might have been singing boy instead of son. "mom" on the other hand, was never really in the picture...:)

And it was Heroes by Bowie that was my intended subject. I had a different verse planned, that was more in line with Heroes, but I didn't like it after all, so I changed it to this.

• Members

"Never Gonna Get That Way Again"... damn... New York City? Must be Lou Reed again! With James Brown on ad libs. Back up guess: the bastard love child of Donald Fagen and Prince (a relationship which would explain
so very much
). Also lovin' it.

Based on my current workplan/workrate, you should be hearing Prince in January and Steely Dan around June, with any bastard offspring scheduled to appear in early 2010 (being a part-time one man band/studio operator requires a long-term view).

• Members

Leaving - sounds kind of like The Pixies to me. I enjoyed this one a heckuvalot.

Never Gonna Get That Way Again - This is the best vocal work I've heard from you - good job. It has the retro 70s funk vibe going on but it also reminds me of Prince and/or Beck. Nice layering of interlocking parts.

Turn My Night to Day - At first I thought Lou Reed but now I don't know. Nice vibe.

----------------------------------------------------

This particular songwriting challenge is instructive for a couple of reasons.

- since we are not master producer/engineers there are limits to how closely we can mimic a given source. Even if it's a matter of one instrument being slightly off (eg. not having the exactly right Fender Rhodes sample at hand), it can throw the entire perception of the music. And of course copping someone else's vocal delivery can be difficult.

- I hope the participants don't mind my saying so: you all failed miserably in decisively copying your source artist LOL. And that's a GOOD THING. How many times have we heard that we ought to "be ourselves" and not imitate others? I think this advice is overhyped and in some cases has stifled the creativity of individuals who visit this forum. It's true that there are people out there who really ought to stop imitating emo or Eddie Vedder (I even want him to stop) or whatever. But there's a bunch of us who, even when trying hard to imitate someone else, are incapable of doing it. Even if it's by some small deficiency or lack of resources or by accident, you wind up sounding like yourself more than someone else. Don't let the need to be original be your impediment to creativity.

Archived