Some songs I've wrote/recorded in my bedroom

cutsman

• Members

Hi, Mark

I'm listening to "The Removal" now... sounds good. I guess this is an instrumental? [Yes. ;) ] I like the sort of Fripp-like arpeggio thing you've got going. I'm a little less crazy about the heavy stereo filter effect later on -- I think you were trying to give a little shift in lieu of a conventional foreground. Not a bad idea but I wasn't sure about how it worked.

But what is quite successful, I think is the introduction of the e-bow like sustain part... it's just a simple, held note melodic figure but it's that tension relieving sustained tone that really works against the arpeggio.

There's something I really like about that arpeggio...it's catchy. ;)

I like the idea of the heavily filtered tag on at the end but the cut to it feels a little rhythmically... provocative.

I wasn't quite as crazy about the "found audio" (TV sound bits) on the others -- though I liked the basic basic music of both. I was a big fan of found sound in the 70s but I sort of feel like it's been so thoroughly explored and exploited -- and the music in your tunes is so inviting on its own -- that you don't need the distraction.

I was a little put off by bass on GBBIAFFAS (I did that from memory -- hope I got close)... just a little loud/oppressive.

But your guitar arpeggio work and conceptualization is so inviting...

I'd like to hear more of that along with some more of the slow, held out melodies that brief e-bow like bit on "The Removal" suggested... Here's a concept -- how about the arpeggio slowed down by a wide factor and played as a whole-note-plus melody over the top with some sort of long sustain like that? You wouldn't even have to think up anything new! :D

Anyway, some really neat ideas and pretty, hypnotic playing -- with this style of arpeggiation it can wear out its welcome quickly if the melodic/harmonic content of the arpeggios doesn't cut it -- but I think these are mostly really attractive melodic constructions.

Oh... one last thing.

I was a little leery of going to your MySpace page. I've officially sworn off going there because of the very serious threat of drive-by trojans infecting many people's pages.

I started a thread about that earliert today after reading news reports and talking to a friend with such a root kit infection (he had to repartition, and fully reformat his machine and reinstall windows and restore all his data). After I saw a possible link to a socially engineered threat in this forum I made the MySpace trojan thread a sticky -- I advise you to take these warnings about MySpace "security" entirely seriously!

MySpace Drive-By Trojan: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797670

more :http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2214681,00.asp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I like the sort of Fripp-like arpeggio thing you've got going. I'm a little less crazy about the heavy stereo filter effect later on -- I think you were trying to give a little shift in lieu of a conventional foreground. Not a bad idea but I wasn't sure about how it worked.

I really love that riff too. I'm really into tapping and a lot of those songs, especially the removal, are tapped. I think the filter you're talking about is the oscillating delay. I really like it...maybe I could tun it down?

But what is quite successful, I think is the introduction of the e-bow like sustain part... it's just a simple, held note melodic figure but it's that tension relieving sustained tone that really works against the arpeggio.

It is really simple but I think it works very well. It was just a lot of reverb, delay and the ebow. I'm glad you liked it.

There's something I really like about that arpeggio...it's catchy.
;)
I love it a lot too. It was so difficult to get it down to where I was happy with it. It's hard for me to play

I like the idea of the heavily filtered tag on at the end but the cut to it feels a little rhythmically... provocative.

I didnt really no how to end the song. I was just going to fade it out but I thought it'd be more interesting to do the pause and the filter. Do you think it would sound better just faded out?

I wasn't quite as crazy about the "found audio" (TV sound bits) on the others --
though I liked the basic basic music of both
. I was a big fan of found sound in the 70s but I sort of feel like it's been so thoroughly explored and exploited -- and the
music
in your tunes is so inviting on its own -- that you don't need the distraction.

My reasoning behind the found audio was that because there were no vocals, I thought people would get bored with the songs. So I put those comical clips in the background. I'm not sure that people would remain interested without them.

I was a little put off by bass on GBBIAFFAS (I did that from memory -- hope I got close)... just a little loud/oppressive.

You got it exactly right! Now that you mention it, I do notice it to be overbearing. I'll have to fix that.

But your guitar arpeggio work and conceptualization is so inviting...

I'd like to hear more of that along with some more of the slow, held out melodies that brief e-bow like bit on "The Removal" suggested... Here's a concept -- how about the arpeggio slowed down by a wide factor and played as a whole-note-plus melody over the top with some sort of long sustain like that? You wouldn't even have to think up anything new!
:D
The removal used to be another song. It was a lot slower. i wasn't completely happy with the way it turned out. I always thought that riff would be part of a more upbeat song. You can listen to the old version here:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/505481152255d4/

Anyway, some really neat ideas and pretty, hypnotic playing -- with this style of arpeggiation it can wear out its welcome quickly if the melodic/harmonic content of the arpeggios doesn't cut it -- but I think these are mostly really attractive melodic constructions.

Thanks so much for listening and for the criticisms. Everything you've said was so helpful. I want to give you a hug.

Archived