A Song For Our Soldiers

bobc

• Members

I started writing this song when I was in the ARMY (1983-1989), and finished writing it a couple of years after I got out. With the holiday season coming up, I thought it would be nice to post it on my page, and dedicate it to our soldiers around the world.

A soldier is someone who puts their life on the line for other people without question or hesitation, and I would like to honor them with this song.

It's titled... I Am A Soldier.

You can listen to it on MySpace...Here (and post a comment if you like).

Or you can listen to it... Here

Peace

• Members

Hi, Bob!

Haven't seen you around before. Welcome to the Songwriting Forum!

This is obviously a heartfelt little tune. It wears its heart on its sleeve and though you had me going for just a second with your inclusion of the "be all I can be" tag (I thought you were headed off into irony-land for a sec) it seems quite straightforward and plainspoken. That's a good way of communicating, of course, but sometimes it doesn't produce the most nuanced or artful lyrics. Still, I'm thinking that communicating is precisely what you had in mind here.

One minor point... I couldn't figure out why the last line was there. It almost seemed like it was included because it fit, rhyme-wise, maybe. But the "hey, look at me" angle seemed to contrast in a distracting way with the overall tone of humility and self-subsumation to duty.

Anyway, overall, a nice, heartfelt song about duty and a sense of personal responsibility.

:)

• Members

Thank you for your comments. I just do this for a hobby, and I don't know much about the proper way to do things, but I do enjoy doing it.

I finished this song while watching CNN when our troops where in Kuwait. Every time I watched, I saw the reporters and/or some retired general or politician, talking about politics, and agenda's, and this and that. In the backround where the soldiers doing their jobs, and I thought to my self... if people could just move those reporters and politicians to the side... they would see the soldiers, and they would realize that the solders are there to do their jobs. No agenda, no politics, just what they feel in their hearts is right.

The line... "hey look at me" came from those feelings. In fact this song took years to write, and every line in this song has a true meaning and feeling behind it.

A person could write a whole book, or make a movie about being a soldier, but to write a song (which is only about three and a half minutes), I had to find words that where right to the point, and attempt to get as much meaning out of each line as possible.

Like I said, this is just a hobby of mine. Some may think its a great song, others may not like it at all, and others may analize it and think I just put words in because they fit, but it is what it is, and I posted it on all of the forums that I belong to, so I could honor our troops.

Thank you for your input, and have a great Holidy season.

• Members

What they feel is right...really? Aren't they just doing their job, which is to follow orders? I had brother, a cousin, and numerous friends enlist; and none said that they felt like what they were fighting for was right. All of them wanted to fight Osama Bin Laden and terrorism, they all felt they were being asked to do something they didn't sign up to do. What is right is completely subjective...but to assume that you know what a soldier feels in his or her heart is just wrong.

First of all... soldiers never "just do their jobs", and unless you yourself have been a soldier (not your brother, cousin, friends), you should not speak like you know what you are talking about. And to assume that I know what a soldier feels in their heart is 100% right, becasue I seved in the military for 6 years full time.

This song has nothing to do with the current war that is going on, or any particular situation in any part of the world today or any day for that matter. It is simply a song about the pride of being a soldier, and doing your best no matter what situation you get thrown into.

So again... What the heak are you talking about?...:confused::confused::confused:

Are you on crack or something?...:confused:

As far as you not liking the song... Thats fine. music is subjective, and you have every right not to like certain songs.

Peace

• Members

A very heart felt song. I really enjoyed it... I think the fact that you spent so much time writing this song really proves that it means a lot.

Thank you for your comment.

I sent you a friend request on myspace.

Archived